SAAB JA37 Viggen, Jetmads 1/32

It's Friday and you know what time it is! UPDATEY TIME!

The teeth are sharp on this one...

Well then...not much to say really.

Not a big update but it took a while of trimming and positioning before I was happy. 

I even had to remove a wheelbay door to make room for the Skyflash.

Well that's an importan obseration btw. The supports for the main wheelbay doors may be a bit long so you need to take a off a bit to get the doors in the right position, so be aware of this part!

well anyways I got the weapons loaded and the Giagant Viggen just got meaner!

I started with the Skyflashes because it was the most work to get into place.

IMG_6250.JPG

IMG_6251.JPG

IMG_6252.JPG

Next the drop tank....some smal fit issues because I hade puttied over the holes for the fastening luggs. I got that Dremeled real fast.

IMG_6253.JPG

The 'winders were the easiest to fit, just be avare that the luggs my need a bit of shortening as to fit in the holes in the pylons.

First the belly 'winders.

IMG_6254.JPG

Then the wing 'winders.

IMG_6255.JPG

There you have it.....armed to bear! I got really tired in my left arm from holding that big resin lump, almost dropped it once 😛

IMG_6256.JPG

IMG_6257.JPG

Cheers!

6 hours ago, Inger said:

Really nice work all round. You have set a great benchmark for this kit! 

Great confidence builder for my own build. 

Inger

Thanks Inger 😄

Very kind of you

And here is the Sunday update!

This is it.

With this update I can do  no more until I have the turned brass pitot tubes. When that happens I don't know and have no control over, all I can tell you is that Maestro have them in the works and that they will be available before the summer.

until then you hav e to make do with this update and perhaps I´ll do the boarding ladder some day but for now this is it!

Looking good with the weapons on...

IMG_6258.JPG

Now for the canopy attachement...it wen't on without a hitch

IMG_6259.JPG

NOw I just have to arrange them cables and cords from the canopy.

IMG_6260.JPG

The two goes behind the seat, in fact the green should be connected to the seat but I think this is good enough.

IMG_6261.JPG

IMG_6262.JPG

I drilled a 0.6mm hole for the alfa probe and glued it in place.

IMG_6263.JPG

Then this poor little antenna on the spine...I hope it stays 

IMG_6264.JPG

Hmm...I lost the picture of the temp probe but it's in place under the right canard.

what else is there.... I have a nagging feeling I've forgotten something.

Here's some pics while I ponder.

IMG_6265.JPG

IMG_6266.JPG

IMG_6267.JPG

IMG_6268.JPG

IMG_6269.JPG

Ahhhh...the saftey handle for the bang seat!!!

IMG_6270.JPG

IMG_6271.JPG

IMG_6272.JPG

There you have it my friends, thank you for patiently following this build for 6 months or so!
A few more things has been forgotten or will be changes as new facts has been recieved but I will not make an update of those.
You will see in the Finish Pictures later this spring.

See you in the next project! 

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

Some news....

My attempts to get a manufacturor to make turned brass probes for Viggen in 1/32 has failed :( 

But I haven't given up, I have ordered several pitottubes from Master that I will try to adapt to Viggen...we shall see

It is not so easy to "tool-up" for a new product, that is to make all the new settings for a bigger scale product. Master has Viggen pitots in smaller scale but it does not mean that automatically one can make any bigger scale versions. Its not a simple setting to 32nd scale in some menue and off we go.

Usually a different material is used, like for 32nd scale pitots it is aluminium while in smaller scales it is brass. They work very different. 

Also dont forget that Master is now producing so many products for so many different modeller fields from tanks to ships, gun and even aircraft. : )  One has to keep up all the productions constantly!

Master is still a "small" cottage industry but also very professional. There is a very limited number of new products per year are released in all sorts of fields. At the same time they have to keep up producing and selling all the old things also. 

It is not like Eduard where any new product is only available for few weeks or a month or so and after that one has to wait years for a "re release" or even many products are simply not considered any more for production and if you dont get it first time then  . . .

The big Viggen is a very limited product with very limited sales prospective but the same work needed as any other product!

I know it is not much to you but I have also tried in vain to get Master to do some sets which have much bigger potentials!  

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
On 7/9/2022 at 5:58 PM, ya-gabor said:

It is not so easy to "tool-up" for a new product, that is to make all the new settings for a bigger scale product. Master has Viggen pitots in smaller scale but it does not mean that automatically one can make any bigger scale versions. Its not a simple setting to 32nd scale in some menue and off we go.

Usually a different material is used, like for 32nd scale pitots it is aluminium while in smaller scales it is brass. They work very different. 

Also dont forget that Master is now producing so many products for so many different modeller fields from tanks to ships, gun and even aircraft. : )  One has to keep up all the productions constantly!

Master is still a "small" cottage industry but also very professional. There is a very limited number of new products per year are released in all sorts of fields. At the same time they have to keep up producing and selling all the old things also. 

It is not like Eduard where any new product is only available for few weeks or a month or so and after that one has to wait years for a "re release" or even many products are simply not considered any more for production and if you dont get it first time then  . . .

The big Viggen is a very limited product with very limited sales prospective but the same work needed as any other product!

I know it is not much to you but I have also tried in vain to get Master to do some sets which have much bigger potentials!  

Best regards

Gabor

I know it's small numbers but all in all (if Jetmads follow through on their promise) we still look at  1000 JA37, 500 JADi, 500 AJ37, 500 Sk37, 500 SF37...so the total numbers still adds up to a few.

I'll cobbel something together.

On 7/9/2022 at 8:23 PM, Dutch said:

Masterful! Aigore, just beautiful! It really looks like you could hop right in and take it for a spin! 

Thanks Dutch...hope to have it finished soon :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's a wrap!

So after almost half a year on hold I have finaqlly finnished the last bits.

I had waited for either Master or Maestro to make a metal pitot tube for Viggen in 1/32nd scale but unfortunately that did not come to fruit.

In stead I started looking for tubes to adapt. I ordered a Hawker Hunter tube in 1/32 and a F-100 ditto...and oddly I found that Master had pitot tubes for JAS39 Gripen in 1/32.

Upon recieveing the tubes I dsimissed the F-100 tube out of hand, the Hunter tube could be adapted BUT the Gripen tubes were really interesting.

At first I thought the Gripen tubes were in the wrong scale but when I compared to 1/48 I saw that they indeed were larger.

IMG_6939.JPG

As a matter of fact they are exactly the same length as the Viggen pitot tube!

IMG_6940.JPG

I still had to adapt it a bit since there is a thicker section at the base of the Gripen tube with a cone at the end. 

I sanded the cone to the thickness of the base section and drilled a 1.2mm hole in the nose of the Viggen.

IMG_6943.JPG

It still differs a bit from the Viggen tube, there should be a slight bulge at the end of the Viggen tube and the shaft should be the same width instead of progressingly thinner as the Gripen tube. But in the end it looks the best!

So my big tip is that you should get Master's Gripen pitottube set in 1/32nd scale!

IMG_6944.JPG

Also the fin pitot tube is usable from that set. Again not 100% correct as the it should be constant width instead of thinning towards the end...but it looks good! And it's metal!

IMG_6941.JPG

I drilled a 0.8mm hole in the Jetmads part (after breaking off the resin tube) and glued the secondary pitottube in place. It cracked a bit so I had to fix with CA glue and then sand it before painting and installing it on the kit.

IMG_6947.JPG

IMG_6948.JPG

I had other stuff to do as well...

I had glued the saftey handle wrong so I had to remove it and reattach it.

IMG_6942.JPG

And lastly There should be protruding a couple of tubes from the tailcone. Probably cooling inlets for the stuff in the tail cone.

Jetmads had the tubes molded in place but I removed them to be able to clean the surface.

I made them from warm drawn sprue, glued them in place and painted them black. They should really be separate parts, Jetmads!

IMG_6945.JPG

IMG_6946.JPG

With that the build is a wrap.....finally and I will take neato pics of the finished model during the week!

IMG_6949.JPG

Cheers and thanks for all the support during the build!