SAAB JA37 Viggen, Jetmads 1/32

1 hour ago, HOLMES said:

Aigore,

:woo:  hoo.

Astonishing  pace of your build  since I last came. 

Looks mighty IMPRESSIVE  ..

Very Methodical  workmanship.

way to Go Aigore.Aigore thank you.

:banana:  :worship:

Thanks Holmes 😄

The trick is to treat every stage in the build as a project in their own right. It keeps the mojo flowing.

I was convinced to join LSP too 😛

Keeping at it

Done some sanding and repairing and repriming.

This side looks good.

IMG_5014.JPG

The other side needed more putty.... this is far less than I usually putty, odd 😛

IMG_5015.JPG

I fitted the nosegear well....and well the fit is so tight that I had to hammer it in the last millimeters...no glue required, seems this is a snap fit kit 😛

IMG_5016.JPG

Then I dry fitted the nose cone, it´s slightly larger than the fuselage..

IMG_5019.JPG

Carveda bit off the edges with my my scraper...

IMG_5021.JPG

This is OK 😄 I might have to putty a little later...we shall see. it is dry fitted still untill I get to the IP cowling and stuff.

IMG_5022.JPG

With that I´m done for today.

IMG_5023.JPG

IMG_5025.JPG

Cheers!

Edited by Aigore

Quick update on my replacement wing, that has arrived to Sweden a second time now... hope it  makes it all the way to me this time.

Wasn't too happy about having yo pay VAT and handling fee to the Swedish postal service for a part I already payed for in the kit...€10  😕

Wasn't much but annoying!

Now my hope is that it finally arrives unmolested!

Wohoo! 

Finally, my replacement wing has arrived!!

It was returned to Turkey by the Swedish postal service and it was resent to me 😛 This time it made it all the way to me 

it was seriously packed for transport! I have packingmaterials for a lifetime.

20211104_145736.jpg

20211104_150033.jpg

Office space....

It´s friday and time for another update!

First a little update on the sanding and filling from the other day, now it´s good :D

IMG_5026.JPG

Here is the IP, I won´t do anything but prime it today, just wanted to check out the details.  As a matter of fact the details are really really good contrary to what I initially thought but boy are there layer lines all across it 😕

I will have to ponder on how to shazizzle it up a bit.

IMG_5027.JPG

And the IP shroud looks really nice too....just have  to remove some layer lines here and there.

Only thing is the HUD frame really...it looks "clunky" 😕

IMG_5028.JPG

Fits like a glove though...

IMG_5029.JPG

Alright then, the parts are cleaned and ready for primer.

I put a flat black primer on top and painted the IP and pedals in FS36375, 

IMG_5030.JPG

Got me some pencil dust on a sandpaper for wear...

IMG_5034.JPG

Like here in the footwell and pedals.

IMG_5035.JPG

IMG_5036.JPG

And glued them in ....sorry bad picture.

IMG_5037.JPG

Here´s another bad picture of the stick. The handle is in gun metal and buttons in black and red.

IMG_5038.JPG

Fitted into the tub

IMG_5039.JPG

IMG_5040.JPG

then it was time for the sills, there are zero toleranses so I had to make room for them by scraping a bit on the top of the seide consoles.

IMG_5042.JPG

And in place...painted in aluminium and flat black on the insides

IMG_5043.JPG

Then it was time for tricky stuff, all the rods and stuff that holds the seat in place.

This was painful for my eyes. Each part have to be shortened to fit so a lot of fitting holding fiddly things in tweezers and cutting in small small increments until the parts fit!

IMG_5044.JPG

IMG_5045.JPG

IMG_5047.JPG

OK, done for today!

Here´s some pics of todays work and the IP shroud dry fitted.

IMG_5050.JPG

IMG_5051.JPG

And the pit without the shroud.

IMG_5052.JPG

There, soon finished with the cockpit....just the IP and IP shroud left to do :D

Cheers!

6 minutes ago, Phartycr0c said:

The level of stunning work continues! Having hurty eyes is well worth it, the results speak for themselves. 

To the next update! 

Thank you mate 😄 A cheering audience lessens the pain in my eyes !

You will not be disapointed come Sunday 😛

Hmm...  those prints are really disappointing.  Like, I'm tempted to cancel my order, disappointing.  They show a fundamental lack of understanding of the technology - the parts would be much, much better if they just fixed the orientation.  Case in point, that instrument panel is pretty terrible, but it would be smooth and crisp if it were just printed horizontally, rather than at an angle. 

Guess it just goes to show, 3D printing isn't some magic bullet; you need to understand and master  it, like any new tool.  Wonder what printer/s Jetmads are using?  And what settings.  They seem to be using a fairly thick layer height, trading smoothness and detail for speed.

1 hour ago, MoFo said:

Hmm...  those prints are really disappointing.  Like, I'm tempted to cancel my order, disappointing.  They show a fundamental lack of understanding of the technology - the parts would be much, much better if they just fixed the orientation.  Case in point, that instrument panel is pretty terrible, but it would be smooth and crisp if it were just printed horizontally, rather than at an angle. 

Guess it just goes to show, 3D printing isn't some magic bullet; you need to understand and master  it, like any new tool.  Wonder what printer/s Jetmads are using?  And what settings.  They seem to be using a fairly thick layer height, trading smoothness and detail for speed.

They are uneven, some has sort of a texture to them while others like IP and ejection seat rails are quite terrible. This is only their second model so I think it is a learning curve. 

Like you said, the results would have been better if they repositioned them. The cleaning of parts has a new elenent nowdays....getting rid of print layers.

I found that the easiest and quickest method was to mix tamiya putty with thinner and brush it on with a broad, flat brush and then just polish them with a sanding pad. But it's hard to do that in places with protruding surface details. When I am done with the kit I will summarise the improvements necessary for when they do the Di and other variants.

I really wish Jetmads had solved this differently, yes the details are there but the printer layers ruins them and it´s almost impossible to remove them without ruining the details! I think printed instrument decals a la Quinta Studio would have been the best sollution here.... next time, OK Jetmads?

IMG_5054.JPG

OK, I worked with what I got, did some detail painting on the IP

IMG_5057.JPG

Added the decals to the HUD and cowling.

IMG_5058.JPG

I used some of the decals for the instruments but I left the screens painted.

IMG_5059.JPG

Put the IP into the cowling, the fit isn´t glorious, I had to sand a bit but still couldn´t get a perfect fit because if I had sanded more I would have damaged gauges.

IMG_5060.JPG

I painted the forward part of the IP shroud in very thinned XF-51 Kahki drab. This part bleeches in the sunlight and takes on a brownish tint after a while.

Then I drybrushed with dark gray and painted a thinned black on the middle section. I finished it all with a drybrush with flesh to get a warm tone.

Oh yeah, and painted a bit of silver on the HUD lens

IMG_5066.JPG

Talking about the HUD, the HUD looks like this.....it´ll be a female dog to make that clear....

IMG_5067.JPG

So I scrapped it and decided to use  clear acetate instead.

IMG_5068.JPG

One of my favourite tools, the caliphers. I inherited it from my dad when he passed 2007 and everytime I use it I think of him 😄

Anyways it is incredibly useful and should be a part of every modellers tool box.

IMG_5069.JPG

I used it to meassure the width of the HUD glass

IMG_5070.JPG

Put down a drop of clear green on the lens

IMG_5071.JPG

I cut the acetate to shape and glued them in with clear varnish

IMG_5073.JPG

With that I flat coated the IP and added clear varnish on top of screens and gauges to simulate glass.

IMG_5074.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

IMG_5076.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG

And glued it all into the pit.... it´s almost done now 😄 Looks OK

IMG_5078.JPG

IMG_5079.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

And the nosecone got in place too 😄

IMG_5081.JPG

Tomorrow I´ll clean that seam...

Cheers!

Hi,

A few pages back when you first identified that the detail printing on the IP was a little soft, I got in touch with Alexander at QuintaStudio via Etsy, to ask if the they had any plans for JA37 upgrade set. Sadly they don't....

Even though you have a done a fantastic job on the the IP, I agree with earlier comments, that the part itself is a little disappointing for kit such as this.  It is an opportunity Jetmads have missed, and opportunity for modelers to test or extend their skills.

In any event,  you are setting a standard for this build that is shinning example to all who will follow! 

Inger 

1 hour ago, Inger said:

Hi,

A few pages back when you first identified that the detail printing on the IP was a little soft, I got in touch with Alexander at QuintaStudio via Etsy, to ask if the they had any plans for JA37 upgrade set. Sadly they don't....

Even though you have a done a fantastic job on the the IP, I agree with earlier comments, that the part itself is a little disappointing for kit such as this.  It is an opportunity Jetmads have missed, and opportunity for modelers to test or extend their skills.

In any event,  you are setting a standard for this build that is shinning example to all who will follow! 

Inger 

Thanks Inger 😄

I suppose it's a too small run for Quinta 😕

Still lovely work Aigore. your build is highlighting exactly where the additional work will be required and possibly saving a few hours of frustration for future builders. 

I may go the Airscale route for the I.P i.e decals and instrument bezels. 

2 hours ago, HOLMES said:

Aigore  

Great Updates about your build,and the little tribulations ..

:popcorn:

Still you have done a Fantastic  job  so far.

:thumbsup:

:banana:

:worship:

Thanks Holmes 😄

I try to make ends meet...literally 😛

2 hours ago, Phartycr0c said:

Still lovely work Aigore. your build is highlighting exactly where the additional work will be required and possibly saving a few hours of frustration for future builders. 

I may go the Airscale route for the I.P i.e decals and instrument bezels. 

Thanks Phartycr0c 😄

I take the hits so you don't have to. The instrument decals are actually really nice...just wish the panel wasn't striped 😕

someone handy could probably make a cast resin IP and earn a buck or two... too late for me but others could benefit.

Nose, body and butt...

Hi today I have a bonus update for you! Yes, normally I update on Fridays and Sundays but since I´m producing updates at Patreon at a very high rate I have way too many updates there.
I´m like 8-9 updates ahead on Patreon than on all forums that´s like a months worth of updates! You are of course welcome to follow me there for fresh updates but right now I´m further
ahead than I thought I would be. Fun for my few patrons who get their moneys worth but it is starting to have issues with post loosing old URLs and such because I´m so far ahead.

So a couple of bonus updates today for everybody 😄

Here goes!

This will not be the sexiest of updates but it is a necessary evil 😛

Yup, lots of Tamiya putty to start with....

IMG_5082.JPG

Sanded it down...

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/cc63/Aigore/IMG_5083.JPG

Checked with primer...

IMG_5084.JPG

More putty in spots...

IMG_5089.JPG

While the putty cured I had a look at the fuselage.... I will need to cut out parts to make room for wings and such. It will need much work  but I got to start somewhere.

IMG_5091.JPG

Cut like so... just ran my X-acto blade along the sides until the covering resin popped off.

IMG_5090.JPG

I had to Dremel (MUHAHAHAHA) away a bit on the inside of the fuselage to make room for the exhaust and tailcone.

But I got  a decent fit in the end, even dry fitted the tail fin

IMG_5092.JPG

There are some serious gaps here though and the tailcone is a wee bit smaller than the fuselage at the joint. I will ponder this...

IMG_5093.JPG

A dry fit of the whole fuselage....sheesh it´s really enormous!

IMG_5096.JPG

IMG_5097.JPG

A look at the tailcone shows incredible details, the whole thing is 3D printed with an inside where you can see the R8 regulator (turkey feathers) and the guides for the reverser slit cover plates that covers the slits in supersonic flight.

IMG_5098.JPG

IMG_5099.JPG

The 3D layers are very prominent on the spine of the tail cone...

IMG_5103.JPG

With the putty cured on the nose I sanded the spots lightly.

IMG_5105.JPG

Restored lost panellines. I used dymo tape and Tamyia masking tape as guides for scribing.

IMG_5106.JPG

After the scribing I repainted with primer and polished the surface with 4000 grit sanding pads. I´m happy with this.

IMG_5107.JPG

IMG_5111.JPG

I put down some primer on the tail cone as well....going to sand and polish it up to get rid of the layers.

IMG_5113.JPG

I will have to remove the tubes sticking out and replace with something else as they will be in the way when dealing wiht the layers....and besides it had broken off on the other side anyway 😛

IMG_5114.JPG

Well there you have todays progress!

Cheers!

Out of Glue Error

Time for another not so sexy update....

To begin with I noted to my horror that I´m out of CA-glue! That means I can´t glue things together but I can still make things fit 😄

I started polishing the rump of the thing to remove printing layers and support points.

IMG_5115.JPG

IMG_5116.JPG

More sanding...

IMG_5117.JPG

And repriming...seems I got rid of the baddies on the spine 😄 Still have issues on the sides though.

IMG_5118.JPG

There are pits where the printing supports used to be...I tried scraping and sanding...now it´s down to filling!

IMG_5120.JPG

IMG_5125.JPG

Ok, fun fun fun......

onto the main wheel wells....

After a bit of Dremelling in the hull I got a decent fit....and then The Dremel ran out of juice 😕

IMG_5126.JPG

OK, how about the main wings do they fit?

Well to my surprise the did fit.... after a bit of filing  scraping of course.

IMG_5127.JPG

IMG_5128.JPG

and on the other side too, here I used my defect wing to fit, I asume the replacement wing will look the same so if this fits then it will fit too!

IMG_5129.JPG

If you wonder what the issue was with it it´s this; the wingtip hasn´t cured. I´t is soft and sticky and totally unworkable. Hope I´ll get the new wing soon or this build will come to an halt* (*I did) 😕

IMG_5130.JPG

Here we have a fit issue...when the tail cone is added this horrible gap appears. 

IMG_5133.JPG

Fitting the wing to the tail cone shows no issues there.

IMG_5134.JPG

And the wings are of equal dimensions....ergo- the issue is in the airframe

IMG_5136.JPG

So out with the caliphers (hi dad) and... aha, there is almost 1mm difference between the right and left sides.

IMG_5137.JPG

Out with a marker pen and then a sheet of sanding papper on the table....

after a few cycles of sanding and fitting I arrived at this.

IMG_5138.JPG

I will have a nasty seam between the butt and the bod...

IMG_5139.JPG

But I got the fit with the main wings under control!

IMG_5140.JPG

IMG_5141.JPG

There are more small fit issues to deal with but I´m good for today

Cheers!

Butt Job

Finally Friday...and I have a new update for you!

My focus is travelling further to the rear.....

I glued in the fuselage wheel wells.....got some really good fit there after all the work. Very pleased with myself. I will not do that much work i there painting wise since when the Viggen is parked the big door is closed, a little bit ajar when the hydralic preassure drops.

IMG_5152.JPG

IMG_5153.JPG

IMG_5154.JPG

On to some fun stuff....the exhaust! I really like doing exhausts for some reason, same with cockpits, I enjoy every second of doing those things.

The rear compressor and the tunnel are cast in reasin while the afterburner ring and reversser paddles are 3D printed.

IMG_5155.JPG

That afterburnewr ring is another work of art like the fan front!

IMG_5156.JPG

IMG_5157.JPG

This was thoughtful by Jetmads, you get 4 reverser paddles! Well if you are going to model it in fight all paddles are undeployed! Really clever and kind to the modellers who otherwise would have had to adapt the dropped paddle.

IMG_5158.JPG

While parked when the hydraulic preassure drops the top paddle always sinks, there are no exact position or default dropped position. it´s all down to how leaky the hydraulics system is. If newly serviced the paddle hardly drops at all.

Only this paddle has details on it´s upper surface as it is meant to be dropped.

IMG_5159.JPG

And the bottom paddles are not flush to the exhaust! this is actually a good fit on a parked Viggen. They are more flush when the hydraulics are on during flight

IMG_5160.JPG

Damn, good thing there was 4 of them since I snapped a corner off when I was dry fitting....lok out the 3D printed stuff are brittle!

IMG_5161.JPG

Anyhooo....

I primed the exhaust parts in Alcald gloss black.

IMG_5162.JPG

IMG_5163.JPG

IMG_5164.JPG

For the starting ponint of the painting of the exhaust I want the canvas as shiny as possible, I use Alclad Airframe Aluminium for this as it leaves a mirror finish on gloss black.

IMG_5165.JPG

IMG_5166.JPG

IMG_5167.JPG

The I dusted Alclad steel all over and then I shoot shadows with Alclad Exhaust

IMG_5168.JPG

IMG_5169.JPG

IMG_5170.JPG

After the painting I put down a wash. I really like the Citadel Nulnoil, it not only works as a good wash but as a nice filter too.

IMG_5174.JPG

So I sloshes that Nulnoil about....

IMG_5171.JPG

IMG_5172.JPG

IMG_5173.JPG

With that todays update is finished...On Sunday I´ll get nasty and dirty on that butt!

Cheers!

Frying the Bacon!

I´t Sunday and time to have fun with the exhaust!!!

First some of this SNJ aluminium powder....really good stuff!

IMG_5175.JPG

Used a dry brush and well...drybrushed it on edges and rivets and anything protruding

IMG_5176.JPG

IMG_5177.JPG

IMG_5178.JPG

Next a round with AK black pigment! I used a medium round brush to make streaks in the tunnel and get it into crevasses and around details. I used lots and it´s easy to wipe off where you put too much.

IMG_5179.JPG

IMG_5180.JPG

IMG_5181.JPG

IMG_5182.JPG

IMG_5183.JPG

IMG_5184.JPG

IMG_5185.JPG

Next to get some colour I used mig City Dark Dust ( a little favourite of mine) and a lighter earth tone pigments. I applied it with a little more thought than the black to get nice streaks and really hot metal feel. (you see now why I based the exhaust in such a shiny metal colour a I did)

IMG_5186.JPG

IMG_5187.JPG

IMG_5188.JPG

IMG_5189.JPG

Then I glued the nether paddles into place.....

IMG_5190.JPG

And the AB-ring found its spot.

IMG_5191.JPG

And the contraption was then glued to the exhaust tunnel.

IMG_5192.JPG

And that was then glued into the tailcone.....upside down as it turned out, it does matter apparently 😛

IMG_5193.JPG

Looking good!

IMG_5194.JPG

On with the droopy paddle....

IMG_5195.JPG

A little cleaning was needed....

IMG_5197.JPG

so i BROUGHT FOURTH THE DREMEL! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

IMG_5198.JPG

This is where I discovered that the tunnel was glued in upside down and....well I needed to fix that.

IMG_5202.JPG

And with that the fit was ok, there is still a big step all way round since the tail cone is smaller than the fuselage...and the seam is atroscious.

Well that´s for another day!

IMG_5203.JPG

Todays progress.

IMG_5205.JPG

IMG_5206.JPG

IMG_5208.JPG

Cheers!