SAAB JA37 Viggen, Jetmads 1/32

Eugh.... but it has to be done!

Wohooo, Friday and updatey-time!

The worst part of modelling in my mind is taking care of seams and body work.

We hatesss it!....Hssssssssss!

Well onto the work...

I needed tho scrape off about a milimeter to make the rear fuselage and the tailcone even. 

I must say I love this tool though, instead of sanding like forever  I quickliy dispatch with offending plastic or resin.

IMG_5213.JPG

Then some filling with Tamiya putty.

IMG_5215.JPG

After sanding with 120 grit, 320 grit and assorted sanding pads I got it to this...

IMG_5216.JPG

Checked with primer... well a little more to do.

IMG_5218.JPG

Again on with Tamiya putty but this time I scrape it on with an old X-acto blade as to just fill the pits.

IMG_5222.JPG

As the putty cured I puttied up around the wheel well in the fuselage.

IMG_5225.JPG

IMG_5226.JPG

And glued on a couple of hot air outlets. I won´t glue the other pair until I put the fuselage together.

IMG_5227.JPG

And there the putty was sandable. I used 320 grit very very carefully and then used my pads all the way to 2000grit

IMG_5228.JPG

After checking with primer I was pleased.

IMG_5230.JPG

Then I glued the droptank real quick....not the best of fit here 😕 Oh well putty and sanding to do later on then

IMG_5231.JPG

IMG_5233.JPG

Well time to restore lost details, rivets and panellines.

There is a panelline right in the seam between the tailcone and the rear fuselage.. a tricky are to scribe...

IMG_5234.JPG

The trick is to make really soft pulls with the scriber as not to break through the putty! To do that hold the scriber at the end like this. Then do many dosens of light light pulls over the seam.

IMG_5235.JPG

And you get this straight and evenly depthed panelline in the putty of the seam.

IMG_5236.JPG

With the panellines done it was time to put in the lost rivets..... I marked where with a pencil.

IMG_5237.JPG

And premier for my riveter! I´ve always done rivets with an awl before but finally I got one of these 😛 yeah I know basic modelling equipent....just took a while for me to get around to getting one 😛

IMG_5238.JPG

And with that I´m done for today 😄

IMG_5239.JPG

Cheers!

Work that body!

Going to be lots of fitting and sanding today....oh joy!
First sanded by the wheel wells.

IMG_5269.JPG

Then I primed the whole rear fuselage.

IMG_5271.JPG

Sure enough, I had to do a wee bit of bettering there.

IMG_5272.JPG

IMG_5275.JPG

Put down a big slap of putty around the seam in the drop tank....the work will continue on that in a few days 😛

IMG_5278.JPG

Then I cut out the canard flaps, of course I managed to break one of them...like I don´t have enough to do.

IMG_5279.JPG

No worries, I just CA-glued a piece of plasticard to it.

IMG_5280.JPG

Cut it to shape and sanded it smooth.

IMG_5293.JPG

next it was time to add some 3D printed stuff to the fuselage but before that I mixed Tamyia white putty with thinner to get a liquid filler.

IMG_5281.JPG

First victim is this rear fillet of the KCA gun....you see the printing layers.

IMG_5282.JPG

I used a wide flat brush and put down 2 layers on the fillet and the belly strake.

IMG_5285.JPG

IMG_5289.JPG

Shitty picture I know 😕 but anyway, I polished the parts and shot primer ontop, polished a bit more and glued them in.
There is a gap where the strake meets the fuselage but that is a minor thing I´ll get to it in time.

IMG_5291.JPG

I went on to the wing parts and did the same to them

IMG_5288.JPG

Looks rather nice with primer on, had to rescribe and redo all the rivets...of course 😛

IMG_5297.JPG

I only hav e one wing to work on yet so I dry fitted the part....and well it needs tweaking.

IMG_5298.JPG

To remove the step I had to sand the bottom of the part and hoping I wouldn´t destroy anything.

IMG_5299.JPG

After a long while of sanding and fitting I got the step removed...but there are other issues..it doesn´t line up correctly.

IMG_5300.JPG

I scraped one edge until I got alignment

IMG_5301.JPG

And glued it in place...will have to do the same process on the  other wing when I get it.

IMG_5302.JPG

Now it was alrigt to lightly sand around the wheel wells in the fuselage.

IMG_5295.JPG

The fit between the wing and fuselage isn´t stellar....

IMG_5303.JPG

The top side even worse.

IMG_5309.JPG

Well after a while of scraping, sanding and fitting I got this far...still some work to do but that´s for another day 😄

IMG_5310.JPG

Cheers!

Winging it...

Ah, Friday again...ready for a little update?

As I mentioned earlier I finally got my replacement wing. It was seriously wrapped in plastic foam....... I think they could have played football with it without anything happening to the wing 

IMG_5313.JPG

Edited by Aigore

Armed with both wings  I set out to make them fit!

IMG_5314.JPG

The fit isn´t fantastic, you have some joyous hours of work with sanding, dremelling, scraping and filing to make them mate decently to the fuselage.

It pays to be thorough here is my thought.

IMG_5315.JPG

Edited by Aigore

The fit is worst on the upper side where that thin fillet meet the fuselage.

IMG_5316.JPG

When I felt it was close enough I fitted in the part for the wheel well...a bit of sanding and scarping to make it fit flush.

IMG_5317.JPG

Then I glued the wing in place..... I got a decent fit but I will have to work with some filler. There is a slight step on the underside towards the rear tail cone.

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5319.JPG

Both wings glued in place, tomorrow I´ll start blending them in.

IMG_5320.JPG

Dryfitted the front fuselage....it´s fast becoming large and unwieldy

IMG_5321.JPG

IMG_5322.JPG

With that todays labor was done!

IMG_5323.JPG

Cheers!

Ok tis was weird...

I couldn´t post the update as one post, got loads of  error messages  and when I edited it I got other error messages.... I have no clue to why.

Well I´ll post the sunday update later....hopefully.

Puttying it forward..

It´s sunday and updatey time! This update is a bit picture intensive so I have to divide it into 3 parts.

Ah...sweet gaps!

The wing fillets are incredebly thin and that´s why it looks like a rat has munched on it. I will have to putty it royally! 

IMG_5324.JPG

Looks a little better on the other side but it will need putty none the less.

IMG_5325.JPG

Same for the underside...

IMG_5326.JPG

IMG_5327.JPG

And some repairing here and there.

IMG_5328.JPG

I begun with masking and puttying...

IMG_5329.JPG

IMG_5331.JPG

IMG_5333.JPG

End of part one more in part 2

Part two

Leaving the wings aside for at least 24 hours I started looking at the canards.

The fiting of the canards flaps are really smart. It´s a printed part that fits into a groove in the flaps and...

IMG_5338.JPG

And the other side fits perfectly into a groove  in the canard, a strong bond is possible.

IMG_5339.JPG

Now the canards themself are a bit fragile and care needs to be taken when removing them from the casting blocks!

First you need to remove the block it self, it´s easy enough just run a x-acto blade along the straight edge on both sides.

IMG_5340.JPG

Then a pair of pliers with long thin prongs are really practical.

IMG_5341.JPG

You just grab as far as you can and start wiggeling until the resin gives way along the line you just drew with the knife. This is what engineers call a calculated fail point or predicted fail point, by design you can break something clean off without loss of material. Perfect for brittle materials like resin.

IMG_5342.JPG

IMG_5343.JPG

Now it gets tricky, to remove the goods from the part wihtout breaking the fine details or the really thin fillets you got to be really careful.

I pulled a knifeblade along the seam and then I used my nippers at the thin end and carefully just made a cut.

IMG_5346.JPG

This gives you a small strip that you can bend with your finger until the failpoints give. you will probalbly not make a clean break all the way tough.

IMG_5347.JPG

Again I use my thin pliers and grip it across instead of along and bend to snap off pieces along the part.

IMG_5348.JPG

Lost a little piece at the root and a bit of the thin fillet ...oh well it is survivable.

IMG_5349.JPG

IMG_5350.JPG

Next I brought fourth THE DREMEL! and cleaned the edges.

IMG_5351.JPG

Until I got a good fit to the fuselage.

IMG_5352.JPG

Added the vortex generators to the canards... JA has two on each canard and  AJ, SH, SF and SK has one on each canard. 

With that the canards are put to rest for now.

IMG_5353.JPG

End of part two, more in part 3

Part Three

The wheel well doors really needs some TLC too, the layers shows through something fierce....on both sides.

IMG_5335.JPG

IMG_5336.JPG

A bit worried about the small bulges on the doors...will probably ruin them 

IMG_5337.JPG

I made liquid putty from green stuff and sloshed on.

IMG_5354.JPG

The repaired flaps got some too.

IMG_5356.JPG

Sanded...

IMG_5357.JPG

And finished off with primer.

IMG_5358.JPG

IMG_5359.JPG

That´s all for today.

Cheers!

5 hours ago, HOLMES said:

Aigore,

Extremely  methodical wirk from you.

Outstanding  workmanship.

:thumbsup2:

I think your build will be flagship for others to follow. 

Keep up the EXCELLENT  work on it.

:worship:

and hope the flooring goes smoothly!

Thanks Holmes 😄

yeah I Hope to rub off some Viggenology onto my viewers and followers along the way 😛

Floors are fantastic.... by monday I have to empty my hobby room😬

Sanding.....filling.....yeah!

Finally Friday, and I have TWO updates for you today. It´s because my hobbyroom has to be empty by Sunday so the floorer can do his flooring on monday.

OK...

It´s moving forwards at least....

This is where I left off and now it has cured a for a few days and it´s time to sand...

IMG_5383.JPG

First round of sanding with 120 Grit and 320 grit, I know details will be lost but that the next fun stage of restoring lost details after the wing joints are blended in to my satisfaction.

IMG_5384.JPG

IMG_5385.JPG

IMG_5386.JPG

IMG_5387.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG

Then some primer again to give me the honest truth....

Not so bad actually of course it´ll need another round of filling... it doesn´t seem as an inhumanly impossible task at least.

IMG_5389.JPG

IMG_5390.JPG

IMG_5391.JPG

IMG_5392.JPG

IMG_5393.JPG

This time round I try some acryllic putty, I tried using a cotton swab but I removed too much putty so I´ll let it cure in place and use some wet´n dry to sand later.

IMG_5394.JPG

IMG_5395.JPG

IMG_5396.JPG

Well enough for today.... Sorry I couldn´t give you a more exciting update today 

Cheers!

YES....continious sanding and filling!

The sanding continue...

This is the state after todays sanding session...

IMG_5397.JPG

IMG_5398.JPG

After sanding another coat of primer.... looks better but there are still small holes and defects. Oh yeah and that corner of the right wing root that have snapped at some point.

IMG_5399.JPG

IMG_5400.JPG

IMG_5401.JPG

IMG_5402.JPG

IMG_5403.JPG

IMG_5404.JPG

Well that leaves me with another round of filling.... out with the tammy putty again!

IMG_5405.JPG

IMG_5406.JPG

IMG_5407.JPG

OK, I have to do something else than sanding and filling or I´ll nuts!

End of part one

Part two

Hmmm...the canopy and windscreen looks pretty alright....but they can still improve!

IMG_5408.JPG

IMG_5409.JPG

Out with the Tammy fine compound!

IMG_5411.JPG

The windshield is polished...you can see the difference between the canopy and the windshield.

IMG_5412.JPG

After both were polished I washed them in fingerwarm water and detergent to remove dust, oils and leftovers of compound.

IMG_5415.JPG

Then I took a shot!

Nah, it´s a mixture of future/klear with a 1/5th windex. The windex makes the future flow evenly. And I dipped the  clear parts until I was happy 😄

IMG_5416.JPG

And this is how crystal clear the got 😄

I always dip my clear parts, not only because the get so clear but for it´s protective properties as well....and it doesn´t fog up  by CA-glue.

IMG_5417.JPG

IMG_5418.JPG

That´s all I got for you today!

Cheers!

I'm SO glad you are posting here too.  Over at Britmodeller, that forum has a very irritating way of loading pics.  :bandhead2:

I'd rather see your build thread here on ARC. So much more faster loading of photos.  Awesome work!  Esp the canopies. :thumbsup2:

1 hour ago, JackMan said:

I'm SO glad you are posting here too.  Over at Britmodeller, that forum has a very irritating way of loading pics.  :bandhead2:

I'd rather see your build thread here on ARC. So much more faster loading of photos.  Awesome work!  Esp the canopies. :thumbsup2:

Thanks JackMan 😄

yeah I spread  my updates on 5 forums and Patreon 😄

A bit late on the party.... that's not for the faint of heart.....lots of modeling skills required, something you have plenty, obviously.

Those clear parts looks superb, well done !

( having a soft stop for the Viggen, made the same mistake of ordering one....that's a huge beast.....but, many parts damaged or massively warped........ somewhat "normal" with resin casting, it seems )

11 hours ago, Griffin said:

A bit late on the party.... that's not for the faint of heart.....lots of modeling skills required, something you have plenty, obviously.

Those clear parts looks superb, well done !

( having a soft stop for the Viggen, made the same mistake of ordering one....that's a huge beast.....but, many parts damaged or massively warped........ somewhat "normal" with resin casting, it seems )

Thanks Griffin 😄

sounds like a bad kit you got....  sure I have had fit issues but not one part has been warped. Only damaged part I had was one of the wings and I got it replaced.

11 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Admire your resilience, Janne.  You're making this work despite the kit's shortcomings.   And you're making putty-work look easy.  Beautiful job on the canopy and windshield : )

Thanks mate 😄

it is a fun build and that outweighs all the fit issues....that really aren´t that bad....I´ve had plastic kits you literally had to carve to shape so I guess I´m used to it 😛

Always look at the bright side of life...

Yes, the sanding continues...

You don´t get away with anything in this scale! And after I hav a nice blend to the fuselage I will have to redraw lost details before I can get to fixing the fit at the rear to the tail cone 😛

The result after todays sanding, only using 300 grit and finer now.

IMG_5419.JPG

IMG_5420.JPG

IMG_5421.JPG

And checking with primer, looks better but there are still things to fix.

IMG_5422.JPG

IMG_5423.JPG

IMG_5424.JPG

The tip of the wing roots still needs fixing, thinking of going with CA glue when I´ve blended the wings.

IMG_5425.JPG

IMG_5426.JPG

Time to fill the bad spots...

IMG_5427.JPG

IMG_5428.JPG

IMG_5429.JPG

After all the necessary evil I wanted to glue stuff together!

end of part 1