TAMIYA KAWASAKI KI-61 HIEN 1/48

Hello dear modellers...

All ready to go. Will start in 5 hours as it is 2:48 am now. I will have to be careful with the decals because Ki-61 has the short nose (Hasegawa) and long nose version (Tamiya). Dai

IMG_8706.jpg

IMG_8704.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello friends...

Started to work on the cockpit. Interestingly the Zoom cockpit PE set from Eduard does not include seat belts. So must wait for the LooK set to arrive so I can install the instrument panel and seat belts. Very odd from Eduard. Dai

IMG_8717.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Greetings,

Some more progress... Start to look like a Tony now. The progress moves quickly because of the fantastic engineering and fit. After the Tamiya P38 and now this, I don't know if I can handle any other manufacturers. Dai

IMG_8748.jpg

Edited by dai phan
17 hours ago, Jamie Cheslo said:

Very nice and neat prep work! What primer are you using?

Thank you ! The primer is Badger Stynylrez gray. Spray straight from bottle, covers beautifully and thin, sands to feather edge, warp speed drying. I think this is

the world's best acrylic primer. Too bad Badger does not offering paints with this formula. Dai

71A-c4v3EAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello friends,

There are many decal offerings out there but there are for short nose as well as long nose versions such as "Hei, Otsu, Ko, Tei ". Tei is the long nose version which the Tamiya kit is. The Hasegawa does the long (early release) as well as the short nose in which more decals are made for it. Just beware of this when you choose your decal subject. Dai 

Ki-61-1.jpg

Edited by dai phan
On 9/13/2021 at 4:26 PM, dai phan said:

Thank you ! The primer is Badger Stynylrez gray. Spray straight from bottle, covers beautifully and thin, sands to feather edge, warp speed drying. I think this is

the world's best acrylic primer. Too bad Badger does not offering paints with this formula. Dai

71A-c4v3EAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks so much for the info and the picture of the bottle. Cheers, Dai!

Howdy everyone...

This project caught me with a suprise. That is the Tamiya is the long nose version (Tei) and the Hasegawa has both long (early releases) and short (late releases). Most of the decals are made for the short nose version. Life Like decals has made some decals for the Tamiya but most are the typical red tail/green mottle schemes except for one with olive green. I want something different but unfortunately this olive green version does not have the appeal (simple markings) and the shade is speculative. After much debate I decided to go for the red tail w/o the green mottlings (I do not have the skill to do such fine free hand work). I rarely use the kit's decals as it is too thick for my liking but the Life Like decals thas has the red tail schemes are off in color. The red is too light and if you paint the tail then you need to mask and paint the hinomarus to match as I did on my Claude. Print Scale also makes the decals with darker red but my experience with it is so poor so I do not consider. There is a review on the Net that praises the kit's decals so I hold my breath and go for the Tamiya's offerings. The hiniomaru is still a little bit off the XF-7 (red) but very close and I can live with it. Many modelers on the Net are also dissappointed with the lack of decal offering for the Tei versions. Dai 

IMG_8789.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello everyone...

I bought this plated version as a collector piece but also for the mottling decals it has to offer. However the mottling decal is such a disppointment. The resolution is so low that you can see the dots. It is a shame it cannot be used while the main decal sheet is of high quality that I intend to use. Dai 

IMG_8805.jpg

b_25424_SUB_13.jpg

Edited by dai phan
10 hours ago, Jamie Cheslo said:

Yes, your photo shows clearly what you are describing. Compared to the other decals, it's pretty bizarre. Almost as if they came from two different manufacturers... if that is even possible....?

Yes that is pretty weird as the main decal is of high quality. I am shocked that Tamiya even includes this substandard decal sheet in the kit at all. Consider Tamiya's excellence I am surprised this sheet even passed QC ! Looks like they contract another company to do the mottling decals. Dai 

Edited by dai phan

Dai Phan

Could you scan the decal sheet and "fix" the green and print a "fixed" copy?  Yes, it would take some patience.

Maybe you could scan and have someone with a Circuit Cutter cut out some masks to spray?

C2j

On 9/21/2021 at 10:34 AM, Cubs2jets said:

Dai Phan

Could you scan the decal sheet and "fix" the green and print a "fixed" copy?  Yes, it would take some patience.

Maybe you could scan and have someone with a Circuit Cutter cut out some masks to spray?

C2j

I have a Cricut Cutter and I love it. However, this can be done as suggested but achieving the feathered edge will not work well from a mask. But you could create a mask as suggested, then paint, then remove mask then feather the edge of the painted areas with a fine airbrush.

Cheers

AFM

1 hour ago, JackMan said:

Not sure if this might work but how about applying the camo decals, then use them as templates/guides and spray over the decals?  Freehand airbrush painting but on top of the decals.  Try it out on a  spare decal first

That's a really cool idea. As long as the decals are well-set and completely flat so as not to create any ridges. I think that would work! 

On 9/20/2021 at 10:35 PM, dai phan said:

b_25424_SUB_13.jpg

J.C,  actually, you brought up a good point: The ridges around the decals. In Dai Phan's photo above I can see the ridges of the decals standing out along the blue paint.  If using this idea, one may have to sand down the decals ( or at least the ridges), wipe the fine dust away and then try airbrushing over them.  Also, might be safer to use Acrylics?  Not sure sure if lacquer or enamel might melt the decals.

Real pity about Tamiya's low resolution camo decals. At least it's a heads-up to not get this particular boxing.

10 minutes ago, JackMan said:

J.C,  actually, you brought up a good point: The ridges around the decals. In Dai Phan's photo above I can see the ridges of the decals standing out along the blue paint.  If using this idea, one may have to sand down the decals ( or at least the ridges), wipe the fine dust away and then try airbrushing over them.  Also, might be safer to use Acrylics?  Not sure sure if lacquer or enamel might melt the decals.

Real pity about Tamiya's low resolution camo decals. At least it's a heads-up to not get this particular boxing.

I bought the plated version as a collector piece. Please do not buy it for the sake of the mottling decal. There is an after market decal by HGW with mixed review but I am sure it will have to better than T's offering. I saw the completed model and looks pretty good. Dai