TAMIYA KAWASAKI KI-61 HIEN 1/48

Yo all...

Got most of the airframe painted. I will need to tone down the NMF as the one in real life does not have this metallic sheen to it. Just a few more pieces to be added then gloss coating and decaling. Dai 

IMG_8833.jpg

IMG_8836.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Thank you all for the nice comments. So far the kit goes together well. But I do not like the open or closed canopy versions engineering. With the open version, you have to place the canopy all the way back or you will see the recessed panel on the fuselage to allow the canopy to sit flush. I like to place mine half way but with this engineering, it will have to be all the way back. If I were to do this again, I would use the closed version and get a vacuum formed canopy. Dai 

Hello all,

Started the decaling process. The kit's offering is very good and responds well to Solvaset. The fuselage band should be blue as well as the kill markings according to Japanese aircraft research group "Aviation of Japan" on the Net. Keep this in mind when you do the non-mottling version. Dai

IMG_8890.jpg

Aces114_p15.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Greetings...

Got most of the decals applied. I was pleasant to see they fit well to the model without any kind of trimmings. I was concerned about the air intake piece but with some careful application of Solvaset and positioning, it conformed well to the curved shape. A dark wash here will bring everything together. Dai

IMG_8892.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello to fellow modelers...

The decaling phase is completed (stencils placement). Next will be gloss coat and my favorite part of the build - weathering! Just another fantastic carefree, trouble free kit from Tamiya. The Tamiya XF-7 red is almost a perfect match for the hinomarus. Dai 

IMG_8896.jpg

IMG_8901.jpg

Edited by dai phan
On 9/11/2021 at 2:51 AM, dai phan said:

Also ordered this "LooK" set from Eduard. I have not used this offering before but this looks much more refined than the vinyl 3D decals from Quinta Studio (not available for this Ki-61 kit). 

s-l1600.jpg

I just got this in today. Too late for the build but it is superior to the kit's offering of instrument panel decal. What you see here is the digital illustration of the piece. The real thing does not have the same resolution as seen here but a much better than kit's parts. Dai 

6 hours ago, Jamie Cheslo said:

That looks fabulous, Dai!! Another great build! Can't wait to see it with the weathering done. The decals really did go down well, and zero silvering as well. 

Thank you Jamie. The clear is Intermediate Gauzy Agent and it airbrushes well, dries at warp speed, and according to the AK's site, the washes can be started within 5-10 minutes. The best part is that it does NOT affect the NMF finish. If anything it makes the metal finish stands out more. Also the coat can be sanded and buffed back to the original shine. Cannot think of anything better in my hands than this. Dai 

9 minutes ago, lockheed2004 said:

You might consider running a blade through the decals along the panel lines, then reapplying your wash.  On the wing meatballs it looks awkward to have the panel lines stop and start.  

Yes! Thank you very much! I use my nails to push the decals down to the panel lines as with a knife there is no second chance! Dai 

Greetings...

My Hien is at the final stages so I will post some final photos shortly. Here are my assesments of this kit:

PROS:

1. The best Ki-61 in 1/48 scale. A search on the Net will bring the general agreement that it is better than Hasegawa's offering.

2. Again by default of Tamiya, the engineering and fit are flawless.

3. High quality decals that responds well to Solvaset ( I needed three applications). 

4. Detailed cockpit and the option of displaying the engine. The fit of the cowl upper panel is so good that by press fit on the model, it is almost perfect like it is glued on. 

CONS:

1. The clear gun sight glasses are too thick and should be replaced with acetate sheets.

2. Over and complex engineering of the belly radiator. All the work will not be seen after the fuselage is closed. A simple one piece assembly would be sufficient and has less potential problems for alignment.

3. Open and closed canopy rear deck assembly. With open version you have to place the rear canopy all the way back that I do not like. A better option would be using the part for closed version then use an after market acetate canopy. 

4. The wing tank braces are molded in with the tanks. Separate pieces like in resin offerings would provide a better result.  

5. Inaccurate scheme instruction. The mottle-less version should have blue stripes rather than red. This is according to the website think tank " Aviation of Japan". 

6. Very few after market decals for the "Tei" version. Most are for the short nose or the typical silver/red tail/mottling schemes. 

A note on the kit's decals. After I applied a wash some areas showed "cobweb" patterns and this is due to the microscopic wrinkling of the decal that is not detectable to the naked eye. The solution is to remove the clear layer that harbors this wash. That means you will have to sand off this offending layer with a sponge sander. In my case a cotton tip dipped in Vallejo Thinner removes this very superficial layer ( Intermediate Gauzy Agent) without complete removal of the clear. The area can be buffed with a towel to the original finish.  A gloss coat like Future or lacquer may not be this forgiving.

A very nice cuss free, heavy drinking free, hair pulling free project. Keep in mind there are not many decal options should you build the Tamiya "Tei" version.  Dai 

PS: The Quinta Studio part for the Tamiya F4B is still yet to be arrived to the US. That means another project instead of the Phantom next week.  

Edited by dai phan
15 hours ago, lockheed2004 said:

You might consider running a blade through the decals along the panel lines, then reapplying your wash.  On the wing meatballs it looks awkward to have the panel lines stop and start.  

Much better now I think. I wanted to apply some silver chips on the hinomaru but I read these are considered sacred. Meaning any chips will be repaired promptly by the field unit. That means these should stay fresh and chips free. Dai 

IMG_8927.jpg

IMG_8928.jpg

Edited by dai phan
  • 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Beautiful, because of your build I have ordered a complete line of accessories for the Tamiya kit...love the beauty of it's aerodynamic lines.

Cheers

AFM

Thank you. This kit will go together quickly. Remember to pay attention to the after market decals as most are for the short nose variant. Dai