Given an offer to model professionally, what salary/hourly rate/ compensation package would you ask for?

In a fairly recent episode of 'Tested' by Adam Savage on YouTube, he was asked the same question. He approached it from various angles, quite interesting, but ended with the simple recommendation of 500$ per day. I think that's a reasonable ballpark figure. Maybe make it 400$ so you're charging a round 50$ per hour. Remember you supply your skills that took you tens of years to amass, expensive tools (airbrushes etc), consumables, etc.

Rob

Professionally building kits for others? Or Professional model maker working for industry (and there are lots of niches, mine was industrial/product models). Two very different things. I did the latter for 20+ years. Great job, killed my hobby…finally finding my “joy” again after retiring. 

There is probably also a lot of guys like me who built models for friends and either charge nothing at all or only the cost of the basic kit.

In my case, I´m picky which model I do - I build only kits in "my" scale and of subjects I´m interested in. I get a nice kit as a project, don´t have to think about where to store it when it´s finished, any my friends get a nice finished model. In this case it´s a Win-Win even without transferring much money....

HAJO

On 9/12/2021 at 3:28 PM, Rob de Bie said:

In a fairly recent episode of 'Tested' by Adam Savage on YouTube, he was asked the same question. He approached it from various angles, quite interesting, but ended with the simple recommendation of 500$ per day. I think that's a reasonable ballpark figure. Maybe make it 400$ so you're charging a round 50$ per hour. Remember you supply your skills that took you tens of years to amass, expensive tools (airbrushes etc), consumables, etc.

Rob

To clarify: this was for the situation of an independent 'maker' hired for a short-term job. Not a full-time employee.

Rob