F9F-5 Panther VF-781 Lt Royce Williams Mig Killer

I found an old Monogram kit and read not long ago about Lt Royce Williams who shot down 4 Russian Mig 15s while on CAP off the Oriskany in 1952. He never got credit until now as back then that would have caused an international uproar. The Soviets were the ones many years later coming out and giving credit where credit was due. I just did the cockpit and some detail painting. I still need to add harnesses and figure what to do about ejection seat pull ropes on the head rest, maybe scratch build them. jon

f9f5 1.JPG

f9f5 2.JPG

f9f5 3.JPG

f9f5 4.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I have the seat belts and harness ordered and should be here tomorrow of Friday. I painted the ejection pull "ropes" on the headrest. Hopefully I can get back into construction by the weeks end. jon

f9f5 9.JPG

Edited by jonwinn
grammar
9 hours ago, jonwinn said:

No S/N for the Navy, it was Bu125459, S/N is Air Force,  Bu is Navy. jon

Yea, I know Jon and thank you for the clarification. I meant to write Bu instead of S/N but, it must have been the fact that I wrote the message around 2 AM and my right-side brain was already at-sleep!!!! That's what happens when you're working for too many hours!!!!

10 minutes ago, jonwinn said:

Ted Williams F9F-5 plane he lost in a crash after being hit by ground fire....brand new -5 totaled out. Revell 1/72 old Matchbox kit. jon

Panther 6.jpg

Panther 3.jpg

Panther 1.jpg

That be her!   Very nicely done Jon.   I have the Warhammer decals which will allow me to do up a 1/48 build.   BTW - the belts look great.   I may have to buy a set myself.

She's coming along awesome, Jon! :thumbsup:

My husband's got this kit somewhere in his stash, and I always wondered whether or not it could be converted into a dash 2 in order to build one of the birds in the Argie Armada, the ones in a light gull gray scheme. 

Actually, I don't really want to buy the Trumpy dash 2 kit, that's what I'm asking.

Are you replacing the windshield or canopy in the Monogram kit?

Keep up the good work; I'm along for the ride.

Cheers,

Gwen 

3 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

She's coming along awesome, Jon! :thumbsup:

My husband's got this kit somewhere in his stash, and I always wondered whether or not it could be converted into a dash 2 in order to build one of the birds in the Argie Armada, the ones in a light gull gray scheme. 

Actually, I don't really want to buy the Trumpy dash 2 kit, that's what I'm asking.

Are you replacing the windshield or canopy in the Monogram kit?

Keep up the good work; I'm along for the ride.

Cheers,

Gwen 

Converting the Monogram -5 into a -2 is possible with a little effort and, in my opinion, ends up better than what Trumpeter/Hobbycraft offers. If you don't want to do the staggered cut, a straight vertical cut ahead of the intakes will still work. The only thing with that approach is that the canopy has to be displayed open since it will shorten the decking under it. That never bothered me, so being the simpler route that was what I went with. The vertical tail has more than enough meat to be reshaped without any problems. I used the old 1/48 scale Detail & Scale drawings to get the right shapes. The wing leading edges near the intakes are easy to cut down as well. They will need a little filling but it's nothing bad. The only other detail is the stepped side console on the left side of the cockpit, near the throttle. I don't remember what I did but it must not have been that hard. That's at least the very basics of the work involved.

16 minutes ago, jonwinn said:

Any ideas what these arrows in the left fuselage half nose wheel bay are for? I never noticed them before. jon

f9f5 15.JPG

They're to help align the nose gear/ dive brake well properly. I also hate to tell you but your dive brakes are in backwards. The one visible in this photo should be on the right fuselage half with the actuator that you trimmed off facing forward.