MWP (Metal Work Panels) Project " An american hustler " : Convair B-58 Hustler Monogram/Revell (1980) 1/48

Hi to all,

This is a very particular work performed on a very dated kit (Monogram 1980 reboxed) with all the panels in positive!
The project involved the complete rewriting of the panels and all the information contained.
The model was equipped with accessories of detail and improvement of the canopies (3) of the Lone Star Models, of the trolleys of the Scale Aircraft Conversions, of the exhausts Aires as well as of scratch building of parts such as a General Electric J79-GE-5A turbojet.
The model in question was completely covered with self-adhesive aluminum tape treated, oxidized and polished by performing the MWP (Metal Work Panels) technique
I think I have told you almost everything, and here is the project:

P4tKmxp.jpg

The kit : Monogram /Revell ( reboxed 1980 )

Duf4iSx.jpg?1

The cockpit (3) : Lone Star Models resin parts

ypu5GdS.jpg?1

01ynG4G.jpg?1

Some info on the preparatory work  : deletion and rewriting of all positive information provided 

x0AVP4E.jpg?1

hQJnoty.jpg?1

mwp : material used for the complete coating of the model - self-adhesive treated aluminum tape

YqZDug0.jpg?1

mwp: complete rewriting of panel information

Su9sXSE.jpg?1

mwp: panel cloning and fixing

Oi6YjBg.jpg?1

mwp: metal treatment and oxidation

gjTegYw.jpg?1

mwp : the gallery

tfQG15f.jpg

XTNOzZv.jpg

kAbVQLi.jpg

mzIZUHw.jpg

oJr6B87.jpg

5ZyJFlN.jpg

CHFssJn.jpg

gK4DDiF.jpg

WgKC62J.jpg

for more  info & pics : APM

Thanks for your attention and your time.

George

2 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

That's a beauty. The oxidation process sounds tricky, was it?

Thank you for your comment and interest in this work and a technique used to make it.
Surely the technique used to obtain the right oxidation / corrosion texture of aluminum, notoriously refractory to this process, is not simple but not impossible and now I will try to show you the path taken step by step to achieve this result:

IMG_0794C.jpg

Procedura di ossidazione per " corrosione ":

This is a very interesting procedure (at least personally) as with a few tricks and a lot of attention, it allows us to obtain a particular 'oxidized' texture useful for contributing to the coating of the engine nacelle panels.
In a nutshell, I tried to immerse in a white plastic container, some sheets of metal foil (aluminum for food) rolled up with an open cigarette (to allow a better diffusion of liquids, slowly adding a mix of 60% water and 40% Of bleach (after some tests and it is not certain that this percentage is the optimal one, here it is actually necessary to test several times): the novelty, however, is that of having placed a few cents (Euro) so that a slight change of copper color was released Fixing on the material (metal foil).
Probably someone will be able to obtain better effects, I am satisfied with the result obtained (beyond expectations) and this is what I have been able to document:

IMG_0825.jpg1 - 

1- in a plastic container (to contain the corrosive process) I inserted common aluminum sheets duly rolled up into a cigarette to be able to better lay them on the bottom so that the mixture can penetrate in all the front and back parts - I inserted a few euro cents (other currencies are also fine as long as they have a high copper component for the color)

IMG_0761.jpg

2- Towards the liquids of the mixture as explained above and in the percentages indicated: as you can see, the fact of rolling the aluminum sheets helps the mixture to act in all parts (the kitchen aluminum sheets are glossy on one side and opaque on the other and this is absolutely useful in the coating procedure to create the right textures.

(edited)_IMG_0762.jpg

- This is how the aluminum sheets look after a few hours and how the copper is fixed during the oxidation / corrosion process.

IMG_0765%20-%20Copia%202.jpg

4 - After the process, our aluminum sheets appear with this coloring and opacification

IMG_0769.jpg

5 - Gently spread the processed aluminum foil and, with the help of a completely smooth and clean metal cylinder, roll over the entire surface to remove creases and wrinkles

IMG_0768.jpg

final result:

mwp_48.jpg

(edited)_20150527_154122.mp4_20150528_23

183.jpg

I hope I was helpful and if you like, here you can find all the info and pics on the procedures used to make the model, including the step by step metallic coating technique (MWP😞APM

On 9/17/2021 at 8:49 AM, paulsbrown said:

Wow, thanks for the tutorial aquatarkus10, that's really helpful. I think many of us will have a go with this help. Did you use a (Like a gilder's) burnishing tool once the foil was on the part?

Hi Paul

Once the panel is fixed, I simply use fine and ultrafine grain steel wool with weight '00 00' to remove small scratches, even involuntary marks that you can cause while working with the roller and I pass a bit of polish for metals (Iosso or Metaglan ) or abrasive paste (Arexon).

MWP Procedure: aluminum tape w/film protection

20170114_150135.jpg

1- We fix the panel, after having cloned it from the original, on a cutting mat

20170114_150509.jpg

2 -We write on it all the information cloned from the original and, if necessary, we detail further

20170114_150607.jpg

3Once the opaque film we used to clone the information written on the original has been removed, the panel will look like this, with folds and curls: do not worry, it's completely normal!

20170114_151904.jpg

4With a completely smooth and clean roller (it is essential) we will begin to gently remove the wrinkles and folds: this operation is essential to obtain a definitely acceptable final result:

20170114_151956.jpg

5At this point, fine and ultra-fine steel wool with a weight of '00 00' enters the scene. We will still fix the panel on the cutting mat to avoid doing damage with the manual brushing movement and, wearing a pair of light latex gloves, always gently, we will rub the part to remove marks, small scratches and impurities

20170114_152337.jpg

20170114_152447.jpg

6Once the phase explained above has been completed, through the use of metal polish (in this case I used the Iosso cream, but all the products you know best such as polishes or abrasive pastes are fine) we will obtain a deeper and more accurate final polishing:

20170114_152524.jpg

20170114_152701.jpg

20170114_152912.jpg

7-After the treatment, the panel will look like this, cloned, machined and polished, ready to be fixed on the model:

20170114_152222.jpg

Here you can see the result of a machining according to the MWP (Metal Work Panels) procedure as I tried to explain above:

forum_18.jpg

In the smallest details, the panels replicate exactly those of a real plane, taking into account that we are talking about the same material used in both, i.e. aluminum (or duralumin which is an evolution of the same)

forum_10.jpg

The Lockheed / Canadair CF 104 G 'Starfighter' model based on the Italeri 1/32 kit in full MWP version

nHWW9z5.jpg?2

real model present at the Canadian Museum: photo posted for technical and illustrative purposes only

(edited)_CF104_-_12846.jpg

for more info & pics :APM

Cheers

George