F-4B/C/D RF-4 Leading Edge Flaps Photos ?

Hello everybody, does anyone have decent photos of deplpoyed leading edge flaps(specially the inboard one lower and upper side) of the mentioned machines.

I looked trough all my references and the net but found nothing clear enough to create some for my Tamiya F-4B.

Another question: is the speedbrake enabled when the leadin and trailing edge flaps are fully deployed? or is it possible to show everything deployed when parking on the ground?

Thank's for your support in advance.

Thomas 

Thomas, I can't help you with the pics but in case you are thinking of doing your own cutting & filing, maybe these might help for an easier time:

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/ufssflzntwntrfzhmmz3.html

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/bxkgfeanq98j3trpiibv.html

Or order direct ( e-mail on extreme left)

https://www.shop2000.com.tw/KASLHOBBY

13 hours ago, Shidenkai said:

is the speedbrake enabled when the leading and trailing edge flaps are fully deployed? or is it possible to show everything deployed when parking on the ground?

The speedbrakes are NOT tied into the flap system. On the ground, the speedbrakes will start to droop/sag after hydraulic power is removed (and they can manually be pulled open further), so yes, speedbrakes can be modeled down ... to the degree you wish to show.

The leading and trailing edge flaps work together - you can't have one without the other in either half or full flaps. If the flaps are lowered before engine shut down, yes, you can model them down. This configuration is not normal, but the crew chief (plane captain?) can ask the pilot to lower flaps (and/or speedbrakes) before shutdown if required for inspection/work.

Same should apply after the USN mod to disable the inboard leading edge flaps and droop the ailerons to 16.5 degrees when flaps are lowered (to what was formerly the 1/2 position). Someone with better info should address this configuration ... (like the incomparable Tommy Thomason -  http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2011/09/f-4-flapstabilizer-change.html).

Gene K

Edited by GeneK

Gene pretty much covered it. The reason closeup photos of the leading edge flaps down are rare is that they almost never were except for takeoff and landing and boundary layer air checks, which required the cockpit to be manned and the engines to be running. For what it’s worth, there was a hinge along the aft end of the lower surface and a narrow hinged plate on the aft end of the upper surface that folded down when the flaps were lowered to provide a smooth transition from the upper surface of the flap to the upper surface of the wing.

Note that the ailerons also drooped along with the speed brakes after engine shutdown whether or not the change had been incorporated to delete the inboard leading edge flap actuation and add aileron extension when the flaps were lowered. Before the change, the ailerons would be in trail if the engines were running and the flaps were extended.

Thank's to everyone in this thread. It's very clear now. I will purchace the Kasl sets and detail the inner leading edge flap myself based on your description and a build in Large Scale Planes from a guy called Kitbasha who detailed and converted the Tamiya 32 scale kit.

Always a reliable source of knowledge when it comes to US Jets here.

Thank you very much.

Thomas