How do I strip lacquer paint, decals and glosscote from a model plane?

I have a model airliner I want to strip and redo as another livery. It's windows were puttied, the paint was Tamiya spray lacquer and the decals were set and glosscoted. I am thinking it best to remove the small parts like antenna and landing gear. How do I remove the lacquer paint, decals and glosscote? Thanks. jon

Edited by jonwinn

If the glosscoat is Future, spray on some Windex -- it dissolves Future and you can rinse it under the tap.   For lacquer glosscoat and paint, I normally use microfibre cloth and a little Tamiya lacquer thinner.  Don't use hardware-store industrial-grade lacquer thinner.   I once used it to strip off a poorly-painted instrument panel and the plastic turned into goo.   

At least here in the US there are a couple different plastic-safe paint strippers for models available from model railroad suppliers.

In my experience they are NOT safe for RESIN and will turn it in to pudding.

Here's a reusable one I've been using for a couple decades, works in a jar into which you can place the parts,

https://www.walthers.com/paint-stripper-remover-for-plastics-16oz-473ml-bottle

It has tended to remove Squadron white putty.

And one which can be applied to model parts which won't go in jars,

https://www.walthers.com/easy-lift-off-elo-paint-remover-8oz-237ml

What that one does to putties is unknown to me.

Edited by southwestforests

According to this thread oven cleaner does dissolve putty.

And according to here  lacquer thinner dissolves putty as well (I guess if your putty is lacquer-based).  

So I'd proobably do a small section at a time using microfiber cloth and the product of choice and go gently.

Edited by crackerjazz

The thing about oven cleaner is that you should spray the part down and (if you can) place it in a plastic ziploc bag or something like that to keep the fumes from propegating. It also helps strip the paint a little bit easier, but I cant recall if it really damages anything. Just let it soak overnight at the shortest length of time.

91 % Isopropyl alcohol is very effective to remove lacquer.  you can immerse the model in the alcohol, or wipe the model with the alcohol. If my understanding is correct, putty is really just a very thick paint, so anything which will remove paint will also eventually remove putty, but not as quickly.   Oven cleaner seems to work a little better on enamel than lacquer. I have not tried brake fluid on lacquer. 

I hope it helps.

I soaked it in oven cleaner overnight. It is now a slimey mess residing in the garbage. I would much rather just spend the few dollars for a new kit than try this again. Totally not my idea of fun. Thanks for all the help but this is not for me.  jon

Edited by jonwinn

Yeah, paint stripping is something nobody really ever wants to do.  Ive stripped paint off if 747s; I just DA'ed the paint off after the first time I used paint stripper ; was cleaner and less toxic than the stripper itself.

• 2 weeks later...