Dodge Charger Police Interceptor

This just arrived, 1/24 Lindberg Dodge Charger Police Car with North Carolina State Police decals. I will be doing a vehicle from my home state of MA. A Massachusetts State Police "slick" interceptor. I have found after market decals so I am ready to wash the plastic and start building soon. Here is the kit and an image of the real deal. jon

slick 1.JPG

slick 2.JPG

Massachusetts-Police-.jpg

I have a slow start. Took a while to wrap my head around all these parts and instructions. There is 35 parts to build the engine, transmission and headers. VERY well detailed but I spotted some sink marks in the headers, putty time. I have the 2 piece block and 3 piece transmission built, ready to clean up and spray along with some other stray engine parts I need to round up. jon

slick 3.JPG

I have the transmission painted and the block, intake manifold. housing above it and valve covers on. I also added the mounting plates for the headers. You need to watch the location of the housing that sits on top of the intake manifold, it has a vertical slot that needs to go forward and the kit has it in the rear. So you should flip Item #92 180 degrees so the mounting pins in the shroud, Item # 108, allow it to be assembled slot forward. I think the slot accepts an air hose or breather hose in one of the final steps, item # 127? I think. Also watch which way the header mounting plates, # 106 and # 107 go as one header has one pin forward and two pins back and the other header has two pins forward and one pin back.

slick a.JPG

slick b.JPG

slick c.JPG

slick d.JPG

Jon, looks amazing! Not a drop of oil anywhere! I need to let you build all my motors! Is there a master chart showing which manufacturers engines should be oainted what color?  Forb = blue; Chevy = red; MOPAR = darker blue?  What about Jeep and trucks? K/r, Dutch 

Edited by Dutch

I'm not sure about a chart but I google the make I am doing and get reference images of each engine, that and I  generally build Mopars, seeing as though I myself owned 3 in the early 70s and my parents owned 2 when I was growing up in the 60s. I have the colors burned into my memory. I went to a vocational high school and my best friend was in the automotive shop there, he owned Chevys and Mopars, I spent more time helping him and crawling under cars, dropping starters etc. than I care to remember. My other high school friend was in the body shop sanding and painting, guess what he owned? RIGHT! Mopars! BTW the orange I used on this Hemi looks a bit more like Chevrolet color than Mopar, a bit too red for me but I am too frugal and lazy to trek down to the LHS for the correct orange! LOL.  jon

Edited by jonwinn

I finished the last assembly and the next is for the chassis. I did the radiator and fan assembly. The chassis is going to be primer gray with black details. I still have some masking to do before I spray the gray. jon

slick 12.JPG

Don't I wish, thanks Dutch. I would give anything for my first car, 1969 Dodge Dart Custom. It had the turn indicators on the hood that faced the windshield, whenever I was going to fast the left one blinked at me telling me of bad fuel economy! Not sure if it had 55 mph tires that made noise when you went over 55 mph. Ahhhhhhhhh the good old days of 60 cent cigarette packs and getting gas on odd or even days, depending on your license plate number! jon

Looks awesome so far! Great job on the engine. Looks like right out of the catalog.

I built this kit quite a while back and yes, it's a great model. Kind of surprised it didn't seem to grab as much traction as I thought it would. People were Jonesing for a new police unit model and when it finally came out, the reception seemed a bit flat. Heck, the light bars alone are gold for law enforcement builders.

Keep up the great work.

Bill

1 hour ago, niart17 said:

Kind of surprised it didn't seem to grab as much traction as I thought it would. ... the reception seemed a bit flat.

Keeping in mind that my knowledge is other model genres, not automobiles, I wonder if being released under Lindberg name is a factor in that.

Memories of Lindberg's 1950s and 1960s airplane models, and some of their ships and tanks, seem to be what most people I've encounter judge Lindberg kits by.

1 hour ago, southwestforests said:

Keeping in mind that my knowledge is other model genres, not automobiles, I wonder if being released under Lindberg name is a factor in that.

Memories of Lindberg's 1950s and 1960s airplane models, and some of their ships and tanks, seem to be what most people I've encounter judge Lindberg kits by.

I'm sure that probably had quite a bit to do with it. Lindberg's brand isn't exactly golden. But this kit really is pretty nice considering. It's by no means a Tamiya, but it rates up there amongst the others in it's class and price range in my opinion.

Bill

I was amazed by this kit. I previously built a Lindberg ship model in the mid 1960s and it was flat featureless pieces of plastic. I was astounded that Lindberg could produce such a nice and accurate looking kit. I would never have thought after building that ship that I would ever do another Lindberg model. jon

Edited by jonwinn
grammar

Let the fun begin! I now have to try and decipher out the interior colors. I have a grand total of 2 sketchy images of my subjects interior. From what I can see the seats look dark gray, carpet black, door panels light gray from bottom to arm rests then dark gray up to windows. I am thinking the head liner is light gray like the door panels, I will look for more references on that. I have the front seats assembled but not glued in. I want to paint everything I can before assembling it. jon

MA State Police Cruiser-Dodge Charger-interior 2.jpg

slick 23.JPG