Just got a copy of the updated Colours and Markings of the F-14 Tomcat Part 2 - Pacific Fleet Sqns, and on top of page 12 is a photo of Modex 114, BuNo 159465 taken on 11th June 1977.  This means that this aircraft does have the same type of beaver tail as featured in the Tamiya kit and can be built with very small modifications (I see the temperature probe on the port forward fuselage just below the windshield) in combination with the recently released Big Red Fighter Squadron from Fightertown Decals.  However, I can't decipher the names on the canopy rails, so does anyone know who these would be, and would they feature on the decal sheet?  Alternatively, would they be included on the earlier VF-1 decals released by Fightertown Decals that were sized for the Hasegawa kit?

From the USS Enterprise 1976-77 cruise book, here is the pilot/RIO roster for VF-1…

wmTUUu5.jpg

From the photograph you cite, my best guess is LTJG Gary Turner for the RIO. The pilot name is more difficult to decipher, although he also appears to be a JG, with a short (three to four letter) last name.

But this photo from the same cruise book shows 114 without any names on the canopy.

uCcAwI1.jpg

Thank you very much for that Rich.  Are the names in the roster paired/connected in any way?  As the roster is divided into six sections, I would think LTJG Turner's pilot should be in that "group"?  Having said that, excluding the names is the easy option...

59 minutes ago, jenshb said:

Thank you very much for that Rich.  Are the names in the roster paired/connected in any way?  As the roster is divided into six sections, I would think LTJG Turner's pilot should be in that "group"?  Having said that, excluding the names is the easy option...

it looks like the officers’ names are arranged alphabetically…so no clues as to pilot/RIO pairings.

Also, 159465 has the early style gun vent, which is not included in Tamiya’s original boxing of the F-14A (however it will be included in the forthcoming “carrier launch scene” edition). In any case, replacement gun panels are available from Quickboost, Phase Hangar, and A.M.U.R. Reaver.

I’m not sure if updated tail stiffeners are required for circa 1976-77 Tomcats. But if so, these are also available from aftermarket suppliers.

Good luck on your Tomcat!

vFfHNb6.jpg

0cHB6Sm.png

wBjSVkw.jpg

Edited by RichB63

I have used the Quickboost 7-slot mid-breech panel on two of the Tamiya Tomcats I've built, and with a careful cutting and a little shimming, it fits rather well.  Got one more from the three I bought from them at Scale Model World a few years ago:)

4 hours ago, RichB63 said:

wBjSVkw.jpg

I would like to point out that the aft vent grill (panel) closest to the boarding ladder does not go with the front grill panel. The aft vent grill was only on aircraft that had the NACA gun intakes.

That panel ( where the aft vent grill is) is the purge door which was replaced with a vent when the new (NACA) vents were incorporated. So if you are using one of the two different type of early panels do not use that vent grill panel, it was only used with the NACA vent panels.

Just wanted to point that out in case no one knew it.