Heinkel He-219 A-7 Uhu Interior Color?

HI All,

Just about ready to complete my Eduard q/48 Spitfire Mk. IIa, and have finally decided that my next project will be the 1/48 Tamiya Heinkel He-219  A-7 Uhu, a model kit generously provided to me by my friend Rob (thanks, my friend)!.  I've already done some dry fitting of parts, and they go together stunningly well, as one would expect for a Tamiya kit, even an older vintage one.  One deficiency, however, are the paint color call-outs.  They only refer to Tamiya paint colors, and in the case of the cockpit interior, they refer only to TS-28, a spray color that they call 'Gunship Grey'.  I know there are many Gunship Grey paint colors out there, but wondering if anyone has any insight as to what the He-219 A-7 cockpit color should be, say, in Mr. Color, Mission Model, or AK Real Color paint oolors?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Of course, I could probably pick a medium-dark grey,, and call it good, but I'd like to get at least close to what it SHOULD be, if possible.  Thanks in advance!

Being late war Luftwaffe, it's more likely to be RLM66, which Mr Color says is 301. How accurate this is I don't know. I'm just using the colour conversion I have. I wouldn't worry too much about getting it too exact. A dark grey should suffice, especially once you have weathered it.  Interestingly it doesn't offer a match for Tamiya.

---------------

I'd definitely go with RLM 66, which is a dark gray, somewhat darker than Gunship Gray FS. 36118 but not so far off that you couldn't use it as a substitute. Actually, RLM 66 was used in bomber cockpits starting quite early in the war.

Thanka, barkin' and seawinder.  I should have done some research before bothering you guys with a simple questions like this.  Instead of worrying about a conversion from a Tamiya color to another paint brand, I should have determined the RLM color as you guys, and ElectroSoldier, suggested. I think you're right, that any dark gray will probably be just fine.  I'm also using the Eduard cockpit repainted panels, so a close match to that color would be a good idea, regardless if the Eduard color is accurate or not.  I agree that RLM66 is probably the better choice for a late war plane.

Edited by Curt B

Gentlemen,

I decided to do my He-219 cockpit with black Stynylrez for a primer, and then painted with Gunze H416 RLM66 (aqueous/water based).  I think it's going to be perfect, especially after some weathering and drybrushing.  While I don't ALWAYS prime my models, in this case, where the cockpit base is actually metal (to act as a ballast to keep the airplane from being a tail-sitter) I think a primer is not only a good idea, but necessary.  

I'm really glad I got the Eduard cockpit pre-painted panels, because the large number of individual panels is going to show off a lot of panel space.  Not that a TRUE modeler couldn't paint the panels and make them look fabulous, however those like me, with only a tiny modicum of talent, couldn't do anything close to justice using paint.  I know it's 'cheating'...but why not make the airplane look as good as I can make it?  

Edited by Curt B