Huges OH-6A "Cayuse" Da Nang Fragments - Dragon kit 1/35

forum_28.JPG

Hi to all,

I would like to share this model produced in 1/35 scale several years ago (about twenty) by Dragon for the 'Nam' series and in which I have always been interested: Huges OH-6A Cayuse nicknamed 'Loach' omni companion of the Bell Huey UH 1 -D "Iroquois" (but also of all the other versions present in the South East Asian theater).

The version chosen is the E TROOP, 1/9 Cav, 1st Cav. (AM) Lai Khe, Vietnam 1970  and this work is part of a larger project that is nearing completion: 'American Chopper':

As anticipated, the project (which will be available shortly) and called 'American chopper' would like to represent the end of a mission having as its object the extraction of American soldiers fortunately landed at the base with a wounded and in the background, Vietnamese (proposed by Noy's Miniature) the two helicopters undergoing maintenance to get ready for a new mission. This is the photo image of the project:

danang_fire.jpeg

The Dragon Kit:

The kit has all the merits and above all the defects of the older models such as the too obvious rivets, at the limit of the scale, extractors in abundance, closures not always perfect and plastic without going beyond the decent.

Moreover it must be said that the model in question, despite everything, was at the time I bought it (online from Russia) absolutely difficult to find in stores and also online, which is why I trusted my instinct and not only had Lucky enough to receive the kit (albeit just damaged but from time to time the seller was correct to mention it in the negotiation) but I was also able to find the Eduard accessories (now out of catalog for years) and the unique CMK ones still in the catalog:

forum_30.JPG

Eduard Pe : Set of interior and exterior photo etched detail

forum_27.JPG

CMK : Detail set of parts in resin turbine Allison T 63 -A 5A + hatches and engine support

forum_29.JPG

The completed model:

forum_19.jpg

...................and how we got there: shots from the wip:

(edited)_IMG_3690.JPG

(edited)_forum_44(1).JPG

(edited)_forum_54.jpg

model mock up:

forum_36.JPG

forum_33.JPG

forum_32.JPG

forum_50.JPG

CMK : Allison turbine assembly, coloring and fixing: colors from the Chameleon series (Metal Shift)

forum_41.JPG

Opening intervention (not programmed) due to the necessary weight addition with shotgun reloading sinkers:

(edited)_forum_55.jpg

(edited)_forum_39.JPG

(edited)_forum_38.JPG

(edited)_forum_40.JPG

The ultimate gallery:

(edited)_forum_6.JPG

(edited)_forum_7.JPG

(edited)_forum_31.jpg(edited)_forum_2.jpg(edited)_forum_4.jpg(edited)_forum_9.JPG

(edited)_forum_8.JPG

(edited)_forum_16.JPG

(edited)_forum_5.jpg

The context : Da Nang fragments - Noy's Miniature UHD 3D Display

(edited)_DaNang_1.jpeg

(edited)_(edited)_forum_20.jpg

(edited)_(edited)_DaNang_2.jpeg

(edited)_forum_21.jpg

(edited)_forum_24(1).JPG

for more info &  pics APM

.......................the project "American Chopper" does not end there:  my assistant Erika is ready to leave to discover the sequel and you?  😎🤠

(edited)_DaNangtiket.jpeg

Thanks for visiting and your time

George

9 minutes ago, midnightprowler said:

Very nice. Your Huey should not have the wire strike cutters, as it represents a Vietnam era bird, but otherwise very well done on both.

Thanks for the comment and especially for the clarification. There is always something to learn and I'm happy when someone teaches me things I didn't know.
George

27 minutes ago, midnightprowler said:

I hope you didn't take it as a criticism of your build.  Just wanted to point it out. Not everyone knows those minor differences. 

Quiet, absolutely not and again I thank you also because, actually I checked and it is as you have reported me.
Fortunately, I have already made the changes on the Iroquois and now I am more comfortable.

While this is not the discussion on the Huey, here is a little revised and corrected preview.

(edited)_newIroquais.jpg

I hope you can provide me with other indications.

Cheers
George

Hi midnight

I did not want to ask you because I already imagined your observation but thanks anyway.
Fortunately, they are small (and right) corrections that do not involve major changes and above all, because this is not the discussion dedicated to the Iroquois.
Now I'm on the ground in convulsions 🤠😎!  I'm kidding of course.
Man,You are definitely named my personal helicopter consultant!
George

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...