Paint for Libyan Mirage F.1?

Wondering where I could get the correct paints for a Libyan Mirage F.1.  Note the purplish brown color.  Prefer enamels & lacquers, USA-based.  Thanks!

The plane:  https://www.google.com/search?q=libyan+mirage+f.1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjx-YKujIvzAhXlITQIHQAkA6MQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1366&bih=657&dpr=1

Special Hobby F1 kit says the Sand colour is FS30475, (Gunze H27/C44) Brown FS36134 (H421/C121), Olive/Green FS34098 (C304), Blue Grey u/s FS35414 (H417/C117). How accurate this is, I don't know, it may be a starting point for you. But they are likely to be painted in French paint, so will not match FS colours exactly.

--------------

4 hours ago, barkin mad said:

Special Hobby F1 kit says the Sand colour is FS30475, (Gunze H27/C44) Brown FS36134 (H421/C121), Olive/Green FS34098 (C304), Blue Grey u/s FS35414 (H417/C117). How accurate this is, I don't know, it may be a starting point for you. But they are likely to be painted in French paint, so will not match FS colours exactly.

--------------

Yep, that's exactly my concern is that since it's possibly French paint (unless they use the same stuff for the MiGs and Sukhois) it wouldn't be an FS number.  I figured those are there to get us in the general ballpark, and that there's got to be an alternative....

Hi Maestro,

I am working on a Libyan MiG-23ML from the old regime and (I believe!) I've worked out the colors based on the AKAN color samples on the Duk Modell page.  I too was looking for that "purplish-brown" color because it's also used on the Libyan -23 and on my Yemini Su-22.

So here go the colors for the F.1 and MiG-23 ML;

73005 Emerald Green - cockpit

73008 Blue - underside

73010 Clear Gray - radome (Flat Black on F.1)

73060 Green - wheel hubs

73140 Yellow Sand - cammie

73141 Beige - cammie (this is the color you were asking about(?))

73143 Green Gray - cammie

Caveat Sculptor;  I have not yet bought nor used these AKAN colors but tried to match them based on photos.  I'm (eventually!) getting there!

Good Hunting!,

WARDOG

Edited by Glynn Jacobs
Additions and corrections

I have a French produced and published book on the Mirage F1, which has 1/72nd line drawings and camo schemes included. Now the strange thing about this book is that although everything is in French the colours for the camo schemes are given in FS numbers isnstead of their French equivalents.

It seems to me the Iraq AF Mirage F.1's are painted in similar purple/brown. Why is it gray in my eyes?

And at the same time, the green and sand colur seem very similar to SAAF Mirages.

For the Iraq AF the Special Hobby instruction say it's FS30475 for the sand and FS36134 for the brown/violet. So it's the same.

For the SAAF, it says H313 for the sand, C304 for the green on the early schemes.

To my eye the sand color seems like FS20400 from Model Master range. I know, not helpfull.

I did trust their instruction for the Mirage F.1 CR for the gray in the french gray/green scheme. Not the best decision on my part. However in a different kit, they gave a different gray and the match was pretty good to my eye. Wish I had tried the green they were proposing.

Gents,

Here is a site that might prove helpful with those pesky Russian colors;

www.theworldwars.com

Go to:

Resources

Aircraft Colors and Camouflage - Soviet/Russian Air Force and NAVY (Modern)

Pretty useful info, to me anyway!

Happy Hunting,

WARDOG

Interesting resource, WARDOG. :thumbsup: Should be .net instead of .com, though. 😉

Here's a direct link: LINK!

As for the Libyan colours, the Africa@War series has some pretty good profiles by Tom Cooper. He usually goes into good detail regarding colours. However, my copy of the book on Libya is currently in some box for moving and I don't know which of the many boxes it is in, so I can't look.

Ok, so if I'm following this right, it's starting to appear that the AKAN colors would be 73141 (sand yellow), 73055 (green), 73080 or 73097 for the purple-gray sand, and possibly 73008 for the undersides, although it appears awfully blue compared to the very light gray appearance on the planes....

Hey Maestro,

I'm not arguing here with you about color, since we all perceive them differently but, the blue you cite seems to be closer to the blue used on birds like the Su-17/22.  The blue I cited is a lot "grayer" and not as bright. 

The green you cited might be too "olive" as compared to the "light green" in photos but again, I can't say it is THE color used because I don't have any better references than pictures and my Mark.1 eyeball!

You can also check out the Linden Hill site for AKAN paints to see a color swatch and how the paints look in the bottle.  It might prove a useful tool for getting the colors you're looking for!

Take Care,

WARDOG

2 hours ago, Glynn Jacobs said:

Hey Maestro,

I'm not arguing here with you about color, since we all perceive them differently but, the blue you cite seems to be closer to the blue used on birds like the Su-17/22.  The blue I cited is a lot "grayer" and not as bright. 

The green you cited might be too "olive" as compared to the "light green" in photos but again, I can't say it is THE color used because I don't have any better references than pictures and my Mark.1 eyeball!

You can also check out the Linden Hill site for AKAN paints to see a color swatch and how the paints look in the bottle.  It might prove a useful tool for getting the colors you're looking for!

Take Care,

WARDOG

No argument brother, I'm still trying to find my way out of the dark on this.  Was tossing out possibilities based on the site above, though still doubting myself.  

Liking your thoughts on the underside and on the green!  

Actually having a LHS in which we could go and actually see the paint would be great.... :bandhead2:

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2021 at 4:02 PM, barkin mad said:

But they are likely to be painted in French paint, so will not match FS colours exactly.

If I may, using PU66 paints, French manufacturers are able to produce whatever FS color accuratly, for example, it is this is what could happen with Mirage F1EJ and its Asia Minor scheme. But Dassault'sclients looking for FS colors for their planes are rare, maybe, Qatar had asked for BS colors in ordre to reproduice RAF Desert Scheme on its Mirage F1EDA/DDA...

On 9/20/2021 at 8:14 PM, Jabba29 said:

I have a French produced and published book on the Mirage F1, which has 1/72nd line drawings and camo schemes included. Now the strange thing about this book is that although everything is in French the colours for the camo schemes are given in FS numbers isnstead of their French equivalents.

Perharps because FS colors are the most commonly used chart by paintings for modellers manufacturers? I'm not sure that French paintings references would be very useful... for example, references for both colors of Mirage F1CT could be : grey 2723 and green 5384...

Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy, good luck for your color research hoping to see your Libyan Mirage soon !