DC-9-31 "Yellowbird"

I am going to do something simple and relaxing, a break from the 757 and L1011. The old Airfix mold for a DC-9. This one is an MPC boxing  with Eastern Airlines decals which I will replace with after market Northeast Airlines "Yellowbird" decals for their DC9-31. jon

DC9 1.JPG

DC9 2.JPG

Very nice Jon.  I am watching.  Many, many moons ago (say mid-70s) I built an Airfix (MPC?) 727-200 in Northeast Yellowbird colors using the ATP/Airliners America decals with the Delta widget during their merger.  It may still be sitting in a carton of peanuts somewhere along with my much earlier airliners.  K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Dig it out Dutch, I need "inspiration".😊 I have a start, the windows are in along with the doors, hatches and ramp. I put 24 grams in the forward fuselage as nose weight, some one said it needs none? The windows were horrid, not sure what Airfix-MPC uses for clear plastic but it did not take to Tamiya thin or Revell Contacta. Super glue to the rescue. It seemed like the clear plastic had "memory", kept wanting to curl up, my nice easy build almost turned miserable. jon

DC9 3.JPG

Jon, You are off to a good start.   It looks like enough weight to me.  I don't think I put that much in, but a couple of fishing weights should do.  Keep calm and carry on! 

I have four Airfix/MPC DC-9s in about the same state right now. I think that I may have added the nose weight and buttoned-up the fuselages by now.

K/r,

Dutch

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=11761&p=projects&project=43569

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=11761&p=projects&project=43338

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=11761&p=projects&project=58640

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=11761&p=projects&project=43339

Edited by Dutch

Thanks Dutch, nice projects. I put the windows in but am not sure what to do with them. I really don't want to putty them so I am waiting for the decals to come in to see if by chance the decals are the same as Airfix's spacing. I don't mind putting window decals over them as there are just slightly below the outer skin of the plane so they won't look too sunk in. I Have the fuselage all sanded, I think I went a tad overboard with the nose weight. BUT one of my planes last year was a tail sitter cause I miss judged the right amount of weight, I'd rather they be heavy than too light. jon

DC9 9.JPG

DC9 8.JPG

Jon, I went ahead and puttied all my windows and doors.  I would rather have the smooth surface for decaling then have the small indentations and the chance that the decals window spacing is off.  That would look really BAD!  So I err on the side of puttying.  I did the same for my Revell 767 which did not include clear windows to fill the row of holes in the fuselage.  So I backed them with a strip of sheet styrene on the inside and puttied from the outside. Not the best, but then my E-767 has no windows to speak of.  You are off to a great start. I wish I had Ray's time and your enthusiasm right now. I would finish off a few of my 30+ "in construction" projects. K/r, Dutch

Nice progress Jon.

I'm with Brother Dutch on the window issue, I prefer a smooth finish. You may be lucky with the decal window spacing, but it the kit guys got it wrong and the decal guys got it right (or visa versa) you will have a bad mismatch with windows and indents. I have also found door outlines on the window decal lines were not aligned so I also fill those.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also gave the bottom of the wings and fuselage some extra TLC. That seam down the middle of the fuselage is perfectly smooth, I can run my fingernail over it with no snags, looks like a gap but I guess that's called a "ghost seam" ? It be smoooooooth!!!!! jon

DC9 17.JPG