JASDF F-2A fighter New FineMOLD

New kit announcement from FineMolds today:

Product number FP48 Air Self-Defense Force F-2A fighter
Suggested retail price 3,740 yen including tax (3,400 yen for the main unit)
New product scheduled to be released in February 2022

KnmJHeN.jpg

P8UMWjv.jpg

cXiQegl.jpg

ozB2Q1y.jpg

FQt0K5C.jpg

LToM1zv.jpg

Apart from plastic parts there is the usual FineMolds turned brass pitot tube and AOA sensors.

GN9GFyE.jpg

For the ejection seats the NaNo series offers imjection moulded straps as well for the kit.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
  • ya-gabor changed the title to JASDF F-2A fighter New FineMOLD

Just when I bought a couple more of Hasegawa kits. The Hasegawa one is still a good kit with A and B versions in the same box in 1/72 scale. Got a few incorrect panels and limited riveting compared to the FM CADs. Lacks the niceties of modern kits like full intake trunks and better detailing in the cockpit and other areas. Can't see if FM has a full intake trunk from the CAD images, but I hope so. OTOH for a bit more than the price of a single FM kit I can buy 2 Hasegawa white box, hmmm...

Edited by Inquisitor

Hmm.. to me it's an odd choice other than to drum up local support from Japanese modelers.  The Hasegawa kit is very good in my opinion and is a direct competitor, particularly since the Hase kit includes a full anti-ship & air-to-air weapons load. 

If FM were to distinguish this release, maybe they'd make it with dropped slats & flaps.  Maybe pilot figures too.  Though in FM's favour, and judging by how well detailed their Phantoms are, this F-2 kit will probably have great engine, wheelbay & cockpit details.  I hope they don't forget the unique "Samurai Horns" on the ejector seats since Hase doesn't have them

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/89/JASDF_F-2A(93-8552)_seat_at_Komaki_Air_Base_March_3%2C_2018.jpg/1024px-JASDF_F-2A(93-8552)_seat_at_Komaki_Air_Base_March_3%2C_2018.jpg

59 minutes ago, JackMan said:

Hmm.. to me it's an odd choice other than to drum up local support from Japanese modelers. 

After all it is a Japanese company and it could not be held against them to make a copy of a Japanese aircraft type. 

All model companies in a way nationalistic and apart from usual universal subjects do make many which are for local consumption mainly. Look at some of the Czech subjects of Eduard, Russian kits at Zvezda, Heller with French aircraft or Airfix with brit subjects . . . The line of examples is endless. Why should FineMolds be different???

Will there be a competition with the Hase kit? Sure! But same competition is there with the F-14 or the Phantom kits and still both companies are doing OK. The winning side in this competition are the modellers who have a wider choice both in details, buildability, need for extras . . .  or the price for a value. Everyone have a choice!

Is this the end of a line of Phantom kits from FineMolds? Dont think so. Give them time and more will follow! For the moment I am convinced that they want to make as much as possible out of the investment they originally made with design of the Phantoms. 

There is absolutely no harm in releasing or re-releasing the "good old" F-4EJ versions with new decals. They did sell well in the past year (sold out in minutes in some cases) so I would not be afraid that FineMolds warehouse will be full of unsold kits.

If FineMolds follows the same principles (why shouldn't they?) as set forward in the Phantom kit, so that it is an easy and fast build with no hanging bits on it, then I would not expect any deployed flaps or other surfaces on the F-2 kit. 

Best regards

Gabor

13 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

The Hasegawa one is still a good kit with A and B versions in the same box in 1/72 scale. 

Will be interesting to see if FM will eventually produce a B model. I assume yes, unlike the Tamiya F-16B hesitance. If no FM F-2B materializes, I'll be looking forward to conversions done using the Hasegawa B model fuselage top. 

Jackman said: If FM were to distinguish this release, maybe ... .

Maybe parts for both the A and B model? Of course Gabor will point out that option will not optimize FM profits in the Japanese market.

Gene K

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Metal is cut and some frames are taking shape. But here are also some CAD images of what it will be like.

I'm glad others have an interest in this niche fighter. A few more CAD images and an outline comparison of the F-2A to the F-16A, in case anyone out there still thinks it's just a F-16.

FDL4CeWaQAA47M5.jpg

FDL4C-gacAE0Z-t.jpg

FDL4Dc3akAA1vF8.jpg

F2aoutline.jpg

Twitter's @goshikiken did the comparison image with this text "I made it based on the image on the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries website. JASDF F-2 and US Air Force F-16, shape comparison of both fighters. It seems to be similar but not similar. It seems that the wing area has increased by 25% from the F-16, which contributes to the increased loading capacity of air-to-ship missiles and fuel tanks, turning performance, and flight stability at low speeds / low altitudes." 

Edited by Craig Baldwin

Looking forward to this. Have around eight (two build, six or so in stash) from Hase, but will surely add the FineMolds kit to the stash in the future. DXM from Taiwan has produced a few fine F-2 sheets, but hopefully FineMolds will give us Cartograf printed sheets in the box....

9 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

I found this walk around of the F-2 with 615 photos while building my 1/48 Hasegawa kit: LINK

Quite a resource, Ben. Thanks.

Except for the intake cover, that airplane and "accessories" is/was world-class immaculate. 

Gene K

17 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

I like the F-2A's lines. With the cockpit moved forward, the nose profile looks a lot like the YF-16 to me. 

I found this walk around of the F-2 with 615 photos while building my 1/48 Hasegawa kit: LINK

Ben 

Like Gene said, that's quite a resource.  By far the most complete F-2 walkaround photos I've seen online.  Thanks for pointing out this link.  Good stuff :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Just a short news on work of F2 fighter. This is what FineMolds is saying:

F2 progress.
Laser processing after electric discharge machining
The part that is burnt black is laser processing.
Steadily in progress.

Details on wing panels. All this in 72nd scale!

4iKzJYv.jpg

Side panels of the ejection seat pan (Parts 5&6).  And the top of the ejection seat with side sensors and canopy braker (Part 3).

yFXGdDr.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Sakai,

Yeah,  sorry its my bad.   Sorry, sorry, sorry . . .

It was early in the morning and I was in a rush to go to work on my ejection seats, so did not look over the text before I posted it. 

YES, of course it is the wing pylons!  : )  : )  : )

The details look fanastic in my opinion for a 72nd scale kit. Just have a look at some other manufacturers who simply dont care to give the modellers even a fraction of such details both inside and outside the fuselage.

Had a look at more and more photos of the real F-2's and starting to like it!

Best regards

Gabor

Some FineMolds news from today:

Today, November 27th and 28th, we will exhibit at "IPMS JAPAN Celebration" held at Event Hall A on the 6th floor of Yokohama Minatomirai World Porters. We mainly sell airplane kits and detail-up parts.

This is Fine Molds' booth.

You can see the F-2 under development up close (F-2A 3D printer output sample). In addition, products that are currently on sale are also on sale.

Ck3H4Ja.jpg

U8sfqZe.jpg

UPWdAOj.jpg 

Best regards

Gabor

7 hours ago, GeneK said:

How does 3D printing relate to cutting the molds?

Gene K

As you can see on close up photos above the 3D printed parts are a test of the future moulded parts deriving from the same CAD data which will be used in cutting metal for the production tools.

3D printing in this case is an excellent tool for testing computer desing in real life form (not just on the screen), see how parts fit, find out if there are some flaws not identified previously  . . .   and overall it gives you a sample of the kit to be. One which you can hold in hands and get the feel of the would be product, also it is a marketing tool like FIneMolds used it at the IPMS Japan event last weekend.

Best regards

Gabor