JASDF F-2A fighter New FineMOLD

My DXM decals arrived yesterday and look to be an outstanding addition to this kit, a small correction decal was included. The small stencils are included but only enough for one aircraft and are printed by Cartograf. The Finemolds decals will likely be the standard well printed but thick style we have become accustomed to. I am not sure if DXM do reprints so if your heart is set on them don't wait too long.

20211201_094517.jpg

20211201_094214.jpg

I used DXM decals on a Kai F-4. For the most part they worked very well, but one was way too long and the stripes that went around the belly tank were way too short and not angled correctly.

So as a precautionary note, I would print off a paper copy to be sure on some of them. That way you can cut out the paper copy and try that on for fit.

Bob

S

1 hour ago, Craig Baldwin said:

My DXM decals arrived yesterday and look to be an outstanding addition to this kit, a small correction decal was included. The small stencils are included but only enough for one aircraft and are printed by Cartograf. The Finemolds decals will likely be the standard well printed but thick style we have become accustomed to. I am not sure if DXM do reprints so if your heart is set on them don't wait too long.

I recently used their TAC2013 sheet for an 8th sq. F-2A. Mine had a few problems with the sizing of the decals. Probably the original design is for the 1/48 and downscaled for the 1/72 without crosss checking sizing with the real plastic. And in my sheet the stencils are a copy/paste from their previous samurai F-2B sheet. That created a few problems. a few of the stencils only included those for the B version like #20 and 38 strips which are much shorter. Looking at your photo, they fixed that and yours now include the correct longer 20A and 38A stencils. The tiny panel numbers stencils are provided in long strips that are too long and end up offsetting the stencils on each end. My fix was to pull back the decals so each stencil on the strip aligns with their corresponding panel but caused wrinkles on the carrier film, but that was fixed with decal setting solution. The white big cat on the tail is too big and had to be liberal with its placement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 2:07 PM, Craig Baldwin said:

Inside colour difference of the speed brakes blue vs white. Although one aircraft if an A the other a B.

Thanks, Craig - great details. Pretty amazing how well the shots are lined up!!

I'm anxious to see how well the Hasegawa B model parts will fit on the FineMolds A. In that regard, one can build the excellent Has A model and have the B model top front fuselage part left over ... all for the bargain price of only $13 at Plaza Japan!!!  :thumbsup:

What are the external differences between the A and B models other than the two cockpits?

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
4 hours ago, GeneK said:

Thanks, Craig - great details. Pretty amazing how well the shots are lined up!!

What are the external differences between the A and B models other than the two cockpits?

From seeing comments on the speed brake inside colour, white was used in initial production and the blue was applied post-production maintenance.

I have not researched the differences but inside that Model Art Profile 7 would likely have the answers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 8:21 AM, GeneK said:

The B does not have the rear facing RWR antenna bulges on the parabrake housing. I’d have to dig out my references to check for other differences. 

On 12/11/2021 at 9:21 AM, GeneK said:

48 minutes ago, habu2 said:

The B does not have the rear facing RWR antenna bulges on the parabrake housing. I’d have to dig out my references to check for other differences. 

For those of you who have invested in the Model Art Profile book, the answer in Japanese is on page 30/31. On the right side of cockpit external skin, an aft facing vent. As well as a couple more sensor differences.

FDpNzMyaUAAD8uM.jpg.cda5a37f6857be3dd0c7f2213baa1d79.jpg

A-B diff.jpg

Work is on. Obvious that it will not be in February, but it is good to see the results of work.

Here are the airbrake works.

First the CAD image of what it will be like

RGL8rbU.jpg

Here is one of the anods for electro etching

chUndr6.jpg

and the steel part of the mold for the airbrakes.

e4UZExH.jpg

All these details will be on this 72nd scale kit!!!  Nice!

Best regards

Gabor 

7 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

All these details will be on this 72nd scale kit!!!  Nice!

They look nice, but hoping they will give a closed speedbrake option as well.

The March 2022 issue of J Wings magazine features a four page detailed breakdown of the F-2 landing gear with a mix of actual photos CAD images with what looks like a technical analysis.

Pileated20220127_102122.jpg

Pileated20220127_102011.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

What to make of the curved line where the strake meets the wing root, just inboard of the leading edge flap?  I don't see that "panel line" in any photos of the real jet or on the Hasegawa kit.  Can't tell if it is present on the show display model.  Or is it just an artifact of the CAD rendering?

FQt0K5C.jpg

8 hours ago, habu2 said:

What to make of the curved line where the strake meets the wing root, just inboard of the leading edge flap?  I don't see that "panel line" in any photos of the real jet or on the Hasegawa kit.  Can't tell if it is present on the show display model.  Or is it just an artifact of the CAD rendering?

Good catch habu2. I checked my profile book and nothing shows then but I finally found one photo where you can see that curve caused by the lighting and angle. Most noticeably in this photo on the left wing.

As well on the first post of this thread you can just make it out on the release photo of the kit.

1138827.jpg

4536318720485_01.jpg

Edited by Craig Baldwin

Back in the day I worked on both F-16 and F-2/FS-X programs and I’m fairly confident there is no curved line/surface at that location on the real jet.  Waiting to see pics of actual parts before passing judgment. 

8 hours ago, habu2 said:

Back in the day I worked on both F-16 and F-2/FS-X programs and I’m fairly confident there is no curved line/surface at that location on the real jet.

I went through the profile book again and there are no good photos showing this area but it is plainly visible in the upper photo with the low angle of light hitting on that area.

You can see that curve line in this photo too, although the real item ends at the panel line before the leading edge and is a single constant radius, instead of making an S like the FM CAD. Also remember that on CAD depending on visualitation edges and lines are highlighted more prominently than what they would really look.

F-2 Walkaround A040.jpg

Edited by Inquisitor