JASDF F-2A fighter New FineMOLD

14 hours ago, habu2 said:

I tend to agree, looks like filling the seam will be more difficult, especially in 72nd. May have to cut it anyway to "reach" the middle. 

With the curvature of the intake, I'm not sure how far back from the front a seam would be visible? I've never built an F-2 nor F-16 for comparison.

2 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

I'm not sure how far back from the front a seam would be visible?

Quite a bit, but shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTR2dw1w4vsIcrJz4a_V7L

(From nice walkaround here ).

Gene K

Edited by GeneK

I would think at this scale, and given Fine Molds' typical joint fidelity "out of the box," that the latex paint trick that's been used in larger scales for years should make short work of any visible seams in that construction.  And ultimately there's no good alternative in injection molding - certainly a vast improvement over Hasegawa's truncated funnel, or the blank plate you get in most F-16 kits at this scale.

"Since we received a large number of additional orders for the F-2A even after the production quantity was confirmed, we have no stock left at this time. (Thank you to everyone who made a reservation. All reservations will be shipped.) The next reproduction time is undecided. Some shops are still accepting reservations, so please make a reservation as soon as possible."

Dire warning on FineMolds News Twitter feed!!!

FSDFTA5aUAEFliY.jpg

I have had one on order with Hobby Search for months. Received an email from them today saying release date has slipped (again) to "early June".......

4 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

... we have no stock left at this time.

The interpretation I get from reading the Fine Molds tweets is that the kits for dealers who preordered have been produced ... and are still expected to ship at the end of May. That means dealers like Hobby Search and Hobby Link Japan will have them on hand to ship to customers in the first week in June. The F-2B is still on track for "sometime" in August.

Based on past history, both HS and HLJ will initially have more kits than were preordered by their customers, so there will be opportunities to get them ... but be nimble and quick, Jack. 😉

Gene K

F-2A FM  Contrast r.jpg

Edited by GeneK

At the Shizuoka Hobby Show earlies today from FineMolds site:

37 min
It's a guerrilla event that will suddenly start assembling the 1/72 Air Self-Defense Force F-2 that will be released soon! #Shizuoka Hobby Show Everyone who is visiting is going to Model Art's booth right now!

oocETYo.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Shizuoka 2022 show: FM president talks about F-2A and F-2B from 3:19 to 7:25 here. Unfortunately, Closed Captioning/Translate to English does not understand the conversationalists.😏

Gene K

13 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

oocETYo.jpg

That box looks HUGE !!! or is it just the perspective tricking my eyes?

Edited by habu2
24 minutes ago, habu2 said:

That box looks HUGE !!! or is it just the perspective tricking my eyes?

That F-2 looks incredibly big in front of the box! Like a 32nd scale kit. While we know that it is just a 72nd scale test build. I would say it is the camera playing a trick.

I think the man building the kit is the editor of a modeling mag in Japan. But this is just a gues from my side. 

Best regards

Gabor

5 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

That F-2 looks incredibly big in front of the box! Like a 32nd scale kit. While we know that it is just a 72nd scale test build. I would say it is the camera playing a trick.

I think the man building the kit is the editor of a modeling mag in Japan. But this is just a gues from my side. 

Best regards

Gabor

I can only hope there is one produced in 1/32. 

By the looks of it, that built and painted F-2 is really a big one! At least 48th!  : )  : )  Same, the box is fairly big even if a little distorted by the camera on that previous photo.

Best regards

Gabor

7 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

I can only find that his name is Hasegawa and here he is with the FineMolds president Mr Suzuki at the  ModelArt Art booth.

That Mr. Hasegawa (not the manufacturer) has a youtube channel where he and his crew frequently live stream model making techniques, product reviews, and builds of the latest kits. Appears he is affiliated/sponsored by Model Art, and has an association with Fine Molds' Mr. Suzuki, the president. In that regard, Craig, he did initial sample builds of the FM Phantom after interviewing Mr. Suzuki. By extrapolation, I anticipate he will shortly stream an F-2 build.

And talk about short -- the streams sometimes reach over three hours in length ... but by using Youtube replays with Fast Forward and Closed Captioning (with Translate), those of us with limited time can skip much of the "insignificant" chit chat.😏

Gene K

P.S. Thanks for the inspiration, Gregg. Will be interesting to see what the F-3 turns out to be since the US quashed the F-22/F-35 hybrid that the Japanese wanted. Looks like BAE and Mitsubishi will be the winners ... .

Edited by GeneK
Thanks to Gregg
36 minutes ago, Solo said:

Any news about release date? I hope May or June at least.

As I said a few posts above:

... the F-2A kits are still expected to ship to dealers at the end of May (31 May). That means dealers like Hobby Search and Hobby Link Japan will have them on hand to ship to customers in the first week in June. The F-2B is still on track for "sometime" in August.

Gene K

Packing of the kit is going on as we speak. Delivery next week.

GAz2jZV.jpg

Packed boxes and ready to distributors

Xr2zhUU.jpg

And here is a built example from FineMolds

gGWykXu.jpg

I like the open airbrakes

1UldDCh.jpg

Just as the FineDetails in the main gear bay. It looks busy as it should be. All this in 72nd scale! Nice!!!

h1pVsNs.jpg

Best regards

Gabor