JASDF F-2A fighter New FineMOLD

The fitting of parts looks not so great as the propganda says.

Especially the gap/step between fuselage and wings/clear canopy is quite eye catching.

Originally a bit dissapointing to split wings and fuselage parts to save molding cost in 2022, does not show maker's sincerity in my personal view.

Edited by haneto
typo
15 hours ago, haneto said:

The fitting of parts looks not so great as the propganda says.

Haneto,

Your eyes are MUCH more critical than mine :hmmm:. Based on the limited photos I've seen, I think the fit looks great ... a fact that I'll have a chance to validate next week :thumbsup:

Gene K

It is indeed a great kit, but maybe just not "so splendid" as propganda says.

The gap between fuselage and wings could have been avoided, if they make the whole upper surface by one piece part, but unfortunately it did not happen.

So you still need to make adjustment to reduce the gap, or even fill the gap then rescribe, if minor adjustment does not work.

Again, just my personal opinion.

FThwm68acAAzLtZ.jpg

FTfVvFnaMAAYnPR.jpg

4536318720485_09.jpg

DSC_7366.jpg

13 hours ago, GeneK said:

Based on the limited photos I've seen, I think the fit looks great ... a fact that I'll have a chance to validate next week

Each of us will come to our own conclusions.

8 hours ago, haneto said:

It is indeed a great kit, but maybe just not "so splendid" as propganda says.

The gap between fuselage and wings could have been avoided, if they make the whole upper surface by one piece part, but unfortunately it did not happen.

Like any model there will be room for adjustments. I've seen mentioning by FineMolds that these were test shot builds and adjustments were made.

Maybe my modelling heart has a soft spot for FineMolds with their F-4 releases and love of plastic modelling, but I am giving them a pass regardless of the verdict of others. mine as well will arrive next week.

The "slice shape rivets" @haneto refers on the wing are likely FM attempt at producing the effect of these type of fasteners(sorry the technical name eludes me) that are detailed here in the shot of the lower wing on a F-2. Rivets seem to be the common term modellers use to call every divot the kit manufacturers try to produce on the skin of an aircraft.

Screenshot 2022-05-31 at 10-24-07 D7W_4947.png

Edited by Craig Baldwin

I initially thought that the F-2A/B kits would have a single and two-seat top fuselage inert ... but the F-2A fuselage top is one piece front to back.

So here is the F-2B fuselage in-progress from FineMolds:

FVM-sjXaIAELnpt?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Gene K

For those who are sticklers for following instructions, a correction was noted by FineMolds in the painting notes. Here is their post on both Facebook and Twitter.

I ordered the Wolfpack Design seats and they arrived yesterday. Although made for the Hasegawa series, the fit is fine, but you will have to add the rear seat rails from the kit part.

288466883_5168797976567831_7593984732667285019_n.jpg

20220615_182523.jpg

54 minutes ago, Craig Baldwin said:

This photo by nc39 306 J50 np @306Z33 on Twitter of the second built F-2A

Is that the particular model you are building?

Thanks for the chest bump, Gregg.

Gene K

19 hours ago, Solo said:

I got really big walkaround, so if somebody wish to download it, enjoy yourself:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibl7tnsn2grfsgb/Mitsubishi F-2A.rar?dl=0

Thanks Solo - great reference!

For those who are going to download this treasure chest, a shortcut is to copy and paste the above link into the browser address bar, change the 0 to 1, and hit return - the download will start to your computer (file is a .rar).

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
On 6/24/2022 at 2:12 PM, ya-gabor said:

For the ones who speak the language it must be interesting. 

If someone like me, at least you can understand some of the reasons for some design features of the kit.

On a YouTube video, one can click  CC (Closed Captioning) and then in Settings select Subtitles/Auto Translate/English (or another language if desired) to get  a clue as to what is being said ... but the translation is extremely rough and requires imagination. The FineMolds president must have a tough accent/dialect that YouTube Translate has trouble understanding. :dontknow:

Gene K

Hi Gene K,

Thanks for the idea. Never tried it before. Will do in future.

On the other hand I believe the drawings he is showing explain perfectly well what the point is, even without the language to back it all up. 

Has anyone received the kit? Any opinions on it???

Best regards

Gabor

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Has anyone received the kit? Any opinions on it???

@Craig Baldwin and I have had the kits for a couple of weeks (thanks to HLJ Private Warehouse :thumbsup2:),  and we've been comparing notes. He is way ahead of me in the build and I suspect he will present a summary of his experience shortly.  Great modeler, he is.

I think the kit is great in all respects - packaging, molding, fit, and accuracy. I've read some concern about filling the seam in the full length duct, but it will be a simple fill since the fit is tight. The duct design, in my opinion, is a great alignment feature that I'd like to see in other kits. Sure have come a long way since the days when we had poorly placed blanking plates in the intakes!

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
7 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Show us something!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, Okay my little teaser, that gun muzzle fairing that looks poorly fitted on the test shots build. Mine fits well but a bit of filing was needed, that is all.

I was considering writing up a detailed review but thought everyone would have had theirs by now. So today I will see if I can get written and posted quickly. The panel lines are delicate but some care is needed in the fitting. More very soon.

20220610_155156.jpg