JASDF F-2A fighter New FineMOLD

It is important to add, that the gun muzzle panel "fitted" to the fuselage was actually just held in place with a finger!!! It was NOT fitted properly in anyway or glued in place, just held against the main part!

This is what happens when unfounded criticism is made based just on a single photo pronouncing the kit unbuildable. : (   : (   : (

Thanks for showing the image! Look forward to others.

Best regards

Gabor

FineMolds 1/72 Mitsubishi F-2A FP48 Review

FineMolds announced this kit in September 2021 catching a few people off guard but was warmly welcomed after many modellers adored their series of F-4 Phantom II in 1/72. Although I had heard of FineMolds, I was not familiar with their products and after building their F-4EJ was eager to see this new kit. Originally scheduled for a February 2022 release, pushed back to May with a steady stream of social media previews of kit progression of the moulds.

Cutting to the chase, mine arrived from HLJ and I quickly started on it. The instructions are well laid out and progress normally for an aircraft kit and although predominately Japanese text there are English translation for the important building details. FineMolds has issued a correction in the call out of paint colours, see attached. The paper used for the instructions is good quality and painting guides give the reduction rate so it is easier to calculate enlargement for printing if desired.

The panel line and fastener detail is as good as it gets in 72nd scale, nicely engraved and a few notable areas have raised detail such as formation lights(I detest the term slime lights). The only sink marks are on the speedbrakes optional closed position parts. And with that the options of the kit are canopy open/closed and antenna arrangement and of course marking choice of three aircraft. No weapons are provided but FineMolds do sell a JASDF weapons set(FP39), pitot/AOA(AA53) and a seat harness(NA8) parts. The cockpit instrument panel and side consoles have option parts for raised details or flat panels which have beautifully printed decals for these. No details are present on the side panels above the side consoles.

The largest challenge of the kit is the long intake that has two side running seams. The front upper section of the intake D1 is called out to glue first on the fuselage bottom and add D10/D11 after the intake is installed, which I followed but then wondered if D1/D10/D11 could be assembled on the intake before attaching to the lower fuselage to ease filling of the seams? I may try that on the F-2B FineMolds release.

Fitting of the parts is going well but I do see some testing and adjustment of the main wings to the fuselage. Wing external fuel tanks come with the kit but not the center tank but have seen mention on Twitter that it will be included on the F-2B release. To attach the wing pylons, very large placement holes are on the bottom of the wings. While most pictures show 3 wing pylons aside mounted, occasionally you will see no wing pylons.

The Horizontal Tails can only be fitting in the neutral position but there is room to add brass tubing and rod if you prefer show it in the relaxed “no power” config. Exhaust outlet is nicely detail and you will find 3D printed replacement exhausts available that will improve the inside look to it. Landing gear and smaller parts very well moulded and have the brake units separate from the wheels. There is excellent detail in the wheelwells and not simply one side details mirrored on the opposite that we still see kit manufacturers try to get away with.

There is a(correction) seam line on the canopy to polish out but I am days away from fitting of the clear parts. The ejection seat is good with aftermarket options offered. There is a nut and bolt included that is installed in the radome but I was not aware of nose weight being necessary for other F-2 or F-16 kits.

After studying the F-2 in photos I see there is very little variation of the main camouflage pattern between airframes. Mr Color sells the correct colours for the pattern and offers them in a set and you may want to check Japanese Hobby stores stocking Gunpla in North America to find these paints as I did.

This is as much as I can offer so far with my build. Once you get past the intake it looks like a quick build. There is an area on either side of the lower fuselage aft of the main landing gear wheelwells that panel details did not release properly from the moulds and they address the issue in the YouTube video linked in an earlier post on this thread.

For me it’s a must buy with better detail than the Hasegawa kit and should be available readily in the future to feed the enthusiastic domestic modeling market.

Colour correction offered by FineMolds.

288466883_5168797976567831_7593984732667285019_n.jpg

10031294z4.jpg

20220624_152142.jpg

20220619_132139.jpg

20220619_131757.jpg

20220615_152425.jpg

Edited by Craig Baldwin
correction
3 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

This is what happens when unfounded criticism is made based just on a single photo pronouncing the kit unbuildable. : (   : (   : (

Yes, compared to the rest of this great kit, the gun muzzle fit isn't the greatest, but ...

the ONLY piece on my kit that had flash on it (significant) was Part B10, a panel just to the rear of the gun cover. Unfortunately that very prominent piece will require careful trimming, fitting and filling: My initial fill:

560521725_FMF-2AFillerNeeded.thumb.jpg.2c8196071aa9950a211e2421c41b7e87.jpg

Major pieces click together!:thumbsup:

Gene K

EDIT: Craig, your post showed up as I was typing. Thanks for that review - you've been doing your homework.

Edited by GeneK
On 6/26/2022 at 12:52 PM, Craig Baldwin said:

I'm just amazed people have that much clear space on their workbench!!!  

In my case, careful piece placement and photo editing are responsible for the illusion.:whistle:

Interesting post on FineMolds site this morning with the caption "F-2B molded product is ready. It's time to start bagging" :

FWVZlpAaIAIOFXJ.thumb.jpg.78e34168d2e644a0e7f7acd37fc90e27.jpg

Ahead of the scheduled August release?

@Craig Baldwin - outstanding job on the cockpit, including the plumbing additions.

Gene K

Assembling the landing gear, I noticed a build detail not mentioned in the instructions. There is a small locating slot on the brake assembly that aligns with a bump on the gear part. Aligning the two will ensure the wheel and brake have proper symmetry and you will see part of the axle stub protruding past the brake assembly, with the wheel having a small hole to allow for this.

20220703_115608.jpg

20220703_115112.jpg

20220703_115318.jpg

20220703_115457.jpg

Edited by Craig Baldwin
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

[F-2B] Shipping date is 29 July and available from outlets soon after that.

Thanks, Craig.

Shipping rates from Japan are killing me, but gotta have it.🤓

Gene K

• 2 weeks later...

Per Googlesan, Craig's post above for the Japanese-language impaired:

[quote]1/72 Air Self-Defense Force F-2B Fighter https://finemolds.co.jp/FP/FP49.html   It was shipped today, July 29 [should be in shops August 1st] In addition, we uploaded images of the finished product on our website today, so please take a look! In addition, the B type has a center tank that was not included with the A type [/quote]

My HLJ Private Warehouse awaits, Craig.

Gene K

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, habu2 said:

Does anyone know of any other build reviews on this kit?  My google-fu is weak on this one...

How is your Japanese?

The only review I've seen are like this.......

I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. Scalemates shows none.

I have the kit and the quality is excellent. Excellent detail and crisp fine panel lines. Unlike the Hasegawa F-2, only parts for the A are included. No pilot figure and no weapons included.

Craig

P1020910.jpg