Brand new MiG-23/27 family of kits

At a Moscow toy fair ICM has announced a brand new MiG-23/27 family of kits in 2022.

At last one kit company has the guts to make a MiG-23 hopefully to modern design and production standard.

It has been ages since modellers wanted to have a good Flogger kit.         (Please dont bring up the RV kit)

OK will it be that good? We will see, but at least someone is trying!!!

Best regards

Gabor

We can only hope!

It is supposed to be a family of 23/27 but exactly which versions it covers is still a question. 

I be happy with a MiG-23MF, MLD and the UB. But I know that everyone have their own preferences so . . .

Will it be also in 48th? It all depends on how well they do with the 72nd, in my opinion. But if one looks at the MiG-25 kits then it is obvious that they do like to do kits in both scales once the design is made. Why waste all that work on just one scale kit. 

Best regards

Gabor

I already have a 23MS, MF and BN from that company which name schould not be mentioned (seemingly in Gabor's comments 😉), so these need at least to be joined by a few UBs, an MLD and one or maybe two 27s. So come on with it. Except the 27 maybe, these are findable for ICM for a good measurement. I hope they take the main landing gear difference into account when they get to the MLx versions.

1 hour ago, Fiddler said:

I already have a 23MS, MF and BN from that company which name schould not be mentioned (seemingly in Gabor's comments 😉), 

I have to add without attacking any maker, that I was one of the first ones to buy the RV MiG-23 kit in two different versions with the hope that at last someone did it right. After opening the box it was obvious that  . . .  Still have one of the kits as an example of what not to do, just as some very old resin kits. 

It is very sad that we had to waite till now for someone to take the MiG-23 seriously and try to make something of it. I know for ages Czech modellers were asking the leader of a local company (name starts with Ed. . . ) for this kit or for up-to-date MiG-17 or MiG-19 and stumbled into rock walls. 

It is only good news that now ICM is doing work on it!!! Have to add that the ICM MiG-25 kits are far from perfect and I can only hope that with the MiG-23 family they can step up in quality and details. But there is another manufacturer who has been planing the release of the MiG-23MLD for some time now. I sincerely hope that they manage to get the kit out and we as modellers will be the winners with a choice of brand new Flogger kits!!!

It would be nice to see somethig of where ICM is heading with this kit, a CAD image or something. But possiblly we are jumping too much ahead with this. 

Best regards

Gabor

Great news Gabor. I'm building the lovelly KP kit right now, so it's right on time for me. And I have a few warm words regarding the kit. But it's the KP kit, so I'm not bashing the RV kit, right? 😉

Well, it is a nice kit on the sprues. If it weren't for the nose, I guess I'd still be building Academy Floggers.

I'm by any means a MiG-23 expert, but I'd like a kit that's half-decent and relativelly easy to build.

1 hour ago, Tali said:

Actually ClearProp Models from Ukraine had and made some progress.

More info at GreenMats Club

127919956_198436701784690_88412207772548

I did mention this kit above. And added that it is a good news for all of us to have atleast 2 new kits comming out. 

About the Clear Prop kit the only question is WHEN????????

They did show first images of the design long, Long, LONG time ago! Only hope that they did not put aside this project! Based on what we seen so far of it, the kit should be a winner!  Let's see it at last! As I understand it will be the MLD (shown above), possibly the ML and even the P, but they are all late versions.

Still I would love to have a nice MLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In comparison ICM is giving a whole family of Floggers, so in principle everyone will have the opportunity to get their hands on a given and desired version. 

Best regards

Gabor

7 hours ago, Tali said:

Just one year )

Time is relative!    : )  : )  : )  For some one year is very long for others 10 minutes is extremely long!  : )  : )

There is a hunger for new products in all of us. I hope they bring out the Clear Prop kit very soon!!!!!!! Good luck to them and look forward very much to the kit.  But here we started to talk about the ICM kit. 

The same is true for the ICM kit! I hope it will be on the workbench in no time. Of course this is not possible . . .   We all will have to wait for it.

Best regards

Gabor

Indeed,

Looking at their previous work, Clear Prop would be a harsh competitor to ICM if they eventually release their Flogger. And I hope they don't wait too long either for their Su-25 release, but that's a bit to much sideways.

Lets hope they keep us posted so at least we can drool over our screens while the kit takes shape!

I have the Eduard MiG-23BN kit, using the Trumpeter plastic, and a TON of aftermarket stuff.  I really wanted this, because I think the Flogger is a really interesting airplane.  It is not beautiful, in any way, but it's really brutal and purposeful looking, sort of in the same way, to my eye, as the F-4 Phantom is (I'm not comparing the two, by the way, and I LOVE the F-4, so no flames from Phantom lovers, please 🙄).  I have been hoping for some other manufacturer to come out with a 1/48 scale Flogger that will be at least MORE correct, if not completely correct, from the start, to avoid all the extra work that the Trumpeter model will take to make it as close as possible to the real thing.  Maybe ICM will be that company?  I hope so.  I have the ICM MiG-25 kit, and have not built it yet, so I don't have any opinions on how well engineered ICM kits are, or how will they fit, but hoping they can do a kit approaching the kind of quality we see in Tamiya or Eduard (I know, I know...I'm dreaming...)   Anyway, any further news about a new 1/48 MiG-23 would be greatly appreciated!

I always found the MiG-23 intriguing. My particular favorite is the MLD variant with all the C/L launchers on the top of the fuselage and the more ogival nose cone. Also one of the traits of the "lightweight Flogger" is the sit of the A/C as in the aircraft sits more level on its gear whereas the earlier versions have a more "tail low/nose high" attitude. I have read that the MK versions have longer MLG strut causing the tail to sit higher, but I have never had the opportunity to measure the two different versions. If either Clearprop or ICM gets that "stance" correct I'll buy one in both scales! 

1 hour ago, boom175 said:

I always found the MiG-23 intriguing. My particular favorite is the MLD variant with all the C/L launchers on the top of the fuselage and the more ogival nose cone. Also one of the traits of the "lightweight Flogger" is the sit of the A/C as in the aircraft sits more level on its gear whereas the earlier versions have a more "tail low/nose high" attitude. I have read that the MK versions have longer MLG strut causing the tail to sit higher, but I have never had the opportunity to measure the two different versions. If either Clearprop or ICM gets that "stance" correct I'll buy one in both scales! 

IIRC, the difference was due to ML and later being lighter as they removed one fuel tank. The struts were the same AFAIK.

Edited by ijozic