That WAS in interesting read indeed. Thanks for sharing the link. :thumbsup:

Never knew they worked so closely with the Abrams/Bradleys. Fascinating.

Bit sobering to read about losing the institutional recon expertise. Should they get a replacement for the OH-58, all this will have to be relearned. I don't understand why it's so difficult for the higher-ups to grasp that hardware is really just one part of the equation. The skills needed to operate the hardware efficiently - the software, so to speak - is equally as important. Tool upgrades are nice, but what good are they when the seasoned craftsman to teach the new guys how to properly use them is gone?

Thanks for the link, 11! Great article. Hopefully more and more pilots start to share their stories from the last twenty years of combat. The Apache gets all the limelight with the OH-58D in second place but it would be interesting to hear about non-special-ops US Army Blackhawk and Chinook missions in Iraq and Afghanistan too.

LD.

13 hours ago, Newtonk said:

Great read, thank you. Good motivation and subject for my Kiowa in the stash, with the AM to go with it.

Your very welcome.  I built the KW a few years ago with a lot of Werners Wings resin and his decals.    It was a fun project, hopefully you'll post your progress here so we can all follow along. 

John

2 hours ago, Newtonk said:

Pilot question for a Kiowa: live resin or reedoak, Blackhawk or Little bird pilots? TIA, K.

I’m not an SME but as the Littlebird fliers had some unique gear, if the quality is equal, I’d opt for the -60 pilots.  Either way I doubt anyone would gig you on this.   

On 10/15/2021 at 11:50 AM, 11bee said:

Either way I doubt anyone would gig you on this.   

Yeah, because no modeller ever did that...

I'd like to be as accurate as possible out of respect to the guys that this for real, not like me making models of things I will never get close to.

I have since seen 'Scouts out', the book, is available from Amazon, which I will pick up once start this project. 

Edited by Newtonk
Accuracy