Details for an F-100D

Weapons load will depend on the time period of your subject. What jet are you planning to build?

The insides of the speed brake and landing gear doors were painted aluminum, as were the gear struts.

The wheel wells and speed brake well were painted a medium green color. I like to use Medium Green FS 34102, although getting an exact match doesn't matter since the wells collected a lot of hydraulic fluid and grime. It looks pretty close to what I've seen poking my head up inside the gear wells of a couple of unrestored F-100s, plus I just happen to a lot of it around because it's used in the USAF's Southeast Asia camouflage scheme. Pretty much any medium green will work, though. Here's an example of the SEA camouflage colors and the Medium Green I'm talking about (from the AK Interactive web site)

RCS047acryliclacquerset.jpg

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Not sure what kind of load UK-based F-100s would carry at that point in time. ChesshireCat's suggestion was common in Vietnam, so it would probably have applied in Europe, too. Four 500 lb or 750 lb bombs could also be a possibility. The Bullpup missiles provided in the kit were pretty much out of service on the F-100 by the time they were camouflaged.

By 1965, the F-100's 275-gal drop tanks, the kind provided in the kit, were converted to 335s by adding a 28" plug  at the panel line at the leading edge of the pylon. You can either add the plug yourself using styrene or try to track down some AMS Resin noses. Sprue Bros sells them but they're out of stock at the moment. I don't know if he can order some on request.

If you haven't built the Monogram F-100 before, consider splitting the wing into two halves and adding them after you've put the fuselage together. As molded, the gap between the wings is too narrow, which pulls the sides of the upper fuselage half in, creating the nasty seams along the fuselage sides the kit is famous for. The fuselage halves fit together pretty well without the wings and it's easier to clean up the seam with the wings off. I remove the stabilators, too, which makes cleaning up the seams around the afterburner section easier. I drill holes for the pivot pins and add them to the stabilators so I can add them after the model is painted. 

Ben

There were no standard loads for the F-100. We loaded everything on it. I loaded them at Tuy Hoa and Phan Rang. Sanke and nap was not a standard load. We loaded MK-82,M-117,Napalm,CBU's,Rocket Pods,and mixed loads like  2 MK-82's and 2 M-117's. MK-82's and Napalm or M-117's and CBU's. At Phan Rang we carried ters also mostly MK-82's.

You can load any of those type of bombs on the aircrat but they were always 2 or 4 iis 2 MK-82's and 2 Nalpale or like 4 MK-117's. It was a lot of fun loading the jet

7 hours ago, berniemckenna said:

There were no standard loads for the F-100. We loaded everything on it. I loaded them at Tuy Hoa and Phan Rang. Sanke and nap was not a standard load. We loaded MK-82,M-117,Napalm,CBU's,Rocket Pods,and mixed loads like  2 MK-82's and 2 M-117's. MK-82's and Napalm or M-117's and CBU's. At Phan Rang we carried ters also mostly MK-82's.

You can load any of those type of bombs on the aircrat but they were always 2 or 4 iis 2 MK-82's and 2 Nalpale or like 4 MK-117's. It was a lot of fun loading the jet

there you go right from the source! Up near the II-Corp border you mostly saw bombs and napalm under them. We didn't see them a lot, and usually when our butts were in a bind. Keep in mind that the food chain starts from the south, so we never knew what a snakeye was till March 68 in I-Corp. 

gary

The UK based F - 100's mostly carried the 335 gal. wing tanks after camouflage was introduced, although there were still some 450 gal. and 275 gal. tanks in use.  They mostly had the centreline pylon fitted at all times with the MN 1 ( SUU 21 ) practice bomb carrier fitted from time to time. also, occasionally outer wing pylons were fitted.

At the moment I'm building the Trumpeter 1/32 F - 100D, although mine is in the earlier  " Aluminium " finish of a 20th. TFW bird. Hopefully i can post some pics when finished.  HTH 🙂

8 hours ago, BillS said:

Just a wag on a possible Lakenheath configuration aside from practice munitions would be 2 tanks and a B -61 most 

likely on station 3. Dollars to donuts they could haul nucs.

That's correct. There was / is a Victor Alert area at Wethersfield, where nuke armed F - 100's sat on alert, as did the 48th. TFW at Lakenheath. As you say,  The nukes were carried on the centreline pylon.

I was at Holloman in the early 80s sharing the ramp with the ‘102 and ‘100 drone outfit. The green in these photos is the way I remember those huns. These are GREAT reference photos of an original, unrestored jet. I believe there was a lot more of that green, approximating 34092, than we might think. That color was all over the inside of a KC-97L I photographed at one time as well.

Thanks for posting those photos! That's the green I remember on an F-100C and a couple of Ds. It is slightly different than the green I suggested, so go with Bill's suggestion, not mine.  I also recall that paint flaking off in spots, revealing a layer of zinc chromate green beneath it. 

F-100 trivia: I believe that F-100F is the only F-100 left that still retains the full data stencils worn when it was still operational. The F-100A in Connecticut still has a few and the NASM's unrestored camouflaged F-100D now been partially repainted.  

Ben

2 hours ago, Murph said:

If you're looking for a "go to war" load, then a B28 on the centerline and an ALQ-71 pod on one of the outboard wing pylons would work.

Regards,

Murph

F-100D LN#2.jpg

Great photo. But all I can see is an ECM pod and a tank.

I take it you dont know the Monogram kit.

Edited by ElectroSoldier

I have an AN/ALQ-87 and an AN/ALQ-119 long both from the Hasegawa weapons set. Would either of those be contemporary with the jet from the decal sheet?

In addition to an ECM pod, if contemporary, would three or four Mk82 with fuse extenders be a likely load for it?

Would it be possible to use a triple ejector on the inner pylons? Or even a Multiple Ejector Rack?

I would like to load something on to it as the pylons themselves are not very detailed, and I really dont want to hollow them out to make the look realistic.

Oh... The kit doesnt come with a center line pylon.

Edited by ElectroSoldier
  • 1 month later...

What missions would the Lakenheath based jets have been used for apart from nuclear strike?
I dont want to go with that option mostly because I dont have and Im not really looking to buy a B28.

I was under the impression the F-100D was used as in support of ground troops even during the cold war in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 1:46 PM, berniemckenna said:

Wowzer... Maybe its the time of day but every time I read this it makes less sense than the first time I read over it.

So a TER on the inner pylon loaded with a pair of Mk-82 SE bombs is possible?
I didnt know the F-100D could carry a TER.

If I put the BLU-27 napalm tanks on it can I put them on the outer pylons or can I mount a pair of them on a TER on the inner pylons? or was the TER used with bombs like the Mk-82 and M-117?

Only certain F-100Ds could carry TERs on the inboard pylons. An F-100 pilot friend says that about 250 Ds were modified to carry the TER-15. You can only load them with one kind of munition, i.e. you can only have all Mk 81s or Mk 82s, not something like a single napalm and two Mk 82s. Finned napalm was not carried on the TERs. I'm not sure if the TER mods made it to USAFE F-100s. Like the installation of the RHAWS radar warning gear, the TER mods might have been a PACAF thing due to Vietnam.

Check out Phil Friddell's excellent Replica In Scale blog for a ton of info on modeling the F-100 (sorry, I should have posted these links sooner):

Main post

Addendum

Then go back through the other posts on Phil's blog. It's a treasure trove of information and photos for a lot of cool subjects.

Ben 

On 11/30/2021 at 7:36 AM, ElectroSoldier said:

Wowzer... Maybe its the time of day but every time I read this it makes less sense than the first time I read over it.

So a TER on the inner pylon loaded with a pair of Mk-82 SE bombs is possible?
I didnt know the F-100D could carry a TER.

If I put the BLU-27 napalm tanks on it can I put them on the outer pylons or can I mount a pair of them on a TER on the inner pylons? or was the TER used with bombs like the Mk-82 and M-117?

we only loaded MK 82's on the ters either 2 on the shoulder stations or all 3 plus nap or cbu's M117's etc.I never saw any other type bombs on the ter. I was only at Phan Rang for 3 months the other 15 months I was at Tuy Hoa. I'm not saying other stuff wasn't carried on the ters but I never saw it.

sorry it took so long to get back but had to put my wife in a nursing home and that used up all my time.

Bernie

screwed it up again, gotta stop replying after my bed time. Only MK82s on the ter. Could carry all the other type of bombs on the outboard pylons as far as I know but it seemed they were always Mk82's across. I could be wrong as to the what was carried on the outboards when the ters were loaded but it was over 50 years ago.

Bernie