Laid off yesterday - looking for commission work

Hello all.  After a second wave of layoffs, I find myself in search of employment.  In the meantime, I have started doing commissions again over the last few months and am in search of new customers.  If you know of anyone who is looking for someone with a history of quality and award winning builds, please send them my way.  

I am a 49 year old semi-pro modeler that came back into the hobby about 12 years ago. I have been in FSM magazine a few times (a childhood dream come true) and have won at the regional and local level of IPMS Region 4 many times. In 2015 I took first place for a 1:32 Italeri F-104C at the IPMS Nationals in Columbus, Ohio. I am also a featured commission builder for the shipboard display on the USS Lexington is Corpus Christi, TX.

I will work on just about any aviation or armor subject anyone has in mind (within limits of course.) If there is any other info I can provide please let me know.

IMG_1835.JPG

242080973_10219724585686227_2801210803185249892_n.jpg

242407954_10219743692763892_5563473672632470306_n.jpg

Hi Travis,

Sorry to hear about your layoff. I'm (almost) in the same age group and I know the feeling. Believe me at this age I also didn't expect to change jobs so often but that's the new reality.

I will spread the news if something comes up I will lead it your way.

And good luck with your job hunting.

9 minutes ago, Da SWO said:

Are you in Texas?

No.  Ohio.  I was down there for the display opening aboard the Lexington in 2012 though.  I was recruited for that project through some IPMS contacts.  If you know anyone that needs builds done and is worried about shipping I've only ever had one damaged en-route.  I have a packing system that is pretty foolproof (although fools can be pretty devious.)

THANKS!

The biggest problem I had building for others was shipping. No matter how well its packed the post office ended up breaking the kits. The more detail the more breakage. Now, I only build if the customer is picking up up locally. This way everyone knows the model was in good shape when it left my basement. That said, if the customer brings a broken model back for repairs I will repair it.

The COST of postage was also becoming more then some prices I was CHARGING to build the model in the first place. Then to make a postage safe jig and box to mail.( I need to raise my prices.) Also, there is no way you can make a living commission builds unless you charge hundreds of dollars per kit. Then do noting but build 24-7. My commission builds allow me to pay for new kits and supplies for me, not much else.

Edited by phantom
1 hour ago, phantom said:

The biggest problem I had building for others was shipping. No matter how well its packed the post office ended up breaking the kits. The more detail the more breakage. Now, I only build if the customer is picking up up locally. This way everyone knows the model was in good shape when it left my basement. That said, if the customer brings a broken model back for repairs I will repair it.

The COST of postage was also becoming more then some prices I was CHARGING to build the model in the first place. Then to make a postage safe jig and box to mail.( I need to raise my prices.) Also, there is no way you can make a living commission builds unless you charge hundreds of dollars per kit. Then do noting but build 24-7. My commission builds allow me to pay for new kits and supplies for me, not much else.

I have only had one commission damaged in the mail, and that box was SQUASHED.  I mean seriously...someone danced the Monster Mash on that baby.  Nothing you can do to help it.  However, all the others I have sent have arrived with minimum problems.

As for costs...well...to quote Adam Savage in a recent episode of Tested, I ain't cheap.  I also have the pedigree to back up my work.  I am 100% on the hunt for a new job, but have plenty of time to fill.  This seems like as good a way as any.   I already have one commission incoming and possibly another, so things are looking up.  🙂

1 hour ago, deadmeat said:

I have only had one commission damaged in the mail, and that box was SQUASHED.  I mean seriously...someone danced the Monster Mash on that baby.  Nothing you can do to help it.  However, all the others I have sent have arrived with minimum problems.

As for costs...well...to quote Adam Savage in a recent episode of Tested, I ain't cheap.  I also have the pedigree to back up my work.  I am 100% on the hunt for a new job, but have plenty of time to fill.  This seems like as good a way as any.   I already have one commission incoming and possibly another, so things are looking up.  🙂

Hope it works for you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 11:54 AM, phantom said:

Where in Ohio?