Looking for Us Navy Carrier Air Wings (CVW) info/database/decals

Hello friends, I am looking for information or a database of the airplanes that made up the US Navy Carrier Air Wings (CVW) in the 70-80s, I have found this one but it is from 1991-2005 https://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/naval-aviation-history/carrier-air-wing-deployments.html

Any 1/72 decal set?

Thanks a lot

This page will give you carrier assignments, squadrons and aircraft types for every carrier air wing over the years from 1963 to the present broken down by each cruise. 

http://www.gonavy.jp/CVWf.html

For decals it will be better to search by each squadron and then check contemporary reference photos to make sure they show the livery from the same time frame you are looking for, to the extent the decal maker doesn't provide this info. 

Edited by PlasticSmith
16 hours ago, PlasticSmith said:

Unfortunately that one only tells you the current composition of each air wing and not historical squadrons. 

This link from that site will show you every airwing associated with USS Kittyhawk from 1961 to 2008 broken down by the time frame of each deployment.   Some of the deployments have links to the squadrons associated with the airwing but not for every cruise.   Just an example.  USS Kitty Hawk CVA CV-63 Aircraft Carrier US Navy (seaforces.org)

Geoff M

1 hour ago, Geoff M said:

This link from that site will show you every airwing associated with USS Kittyhawk from 1961 to 2008 broken down by the time frame of each deployment.   Some of the deployments have links to the squadrons associated with the airwing but not for every cruise.   Just an example.  USS Kitty Hawk CVA CV-63 Aircraft Carrier US Navy (seaforces.org)

Geoff M

You are misunderstanding what I meant to say. Perhaps I wasn't clear. That site lists each carrier and what air wing was embarked for each cruise. But when you click on the link for the relevant air wing it only gives you the current composition (i.e. the current VFAs with Super Hornets, Growlers and the usual stuff). 

The other site I listed above:

http://www.gonavy.jp/CVWf.html

does it the other way around. It lists each carrier air wing. When you click on the link it takes you to a listing of each cruise and tells you what carrier they were embarked on, but also - and most importantly for modelers - it tells you what squadrons were part of the air wing at that time and what aircraft type and model they operated. The collection of squadrons in a given air wing isn't fixed but changes over time. E.g. the two fighter squadrons for CVW-8 were VF-74 (F-4B) and VF-103 (F-8C) in 1964, VF-41 (F-14A) and VF-84 (F-14A) in 1981, VF-14 (F-14A) and VF-41 (F-14A) in 1999 and VFA-31 (F/A-18E) and VFA-213 (F/A-18F) most recently. It has similar lists for squadron deployments and carrier air groupspre-1963.  I find that kind of listing a lot more useful because it associates aircraft types and squadrons within an air wing for each time frame you may be looking for.