TAMIYA P-47D "THUNDERBOLT RAZOR BACK" 1/48

Greetings,

The Quinta Studio F4B parts still are not here so I will start another project. The Tamiya P47D. The last 2 Tamiya builds were so good that I am jumping on its wagon now. Dai

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_8936.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Greetings...

The build has begun. As expected with Tamiya, the fit and engineering is flawless. The cockpit does not have many pieces but when assembled it gives a very busy office appearance. The instrument panel is Eduard. Dai

IMG_8947.jpg

IMG_8952.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Greetings from the USA...

Olive Drab color of USAAF plane has many different shades and it is impossible to track down what shade is the correct one for this project. Even the decal manufacturers just give the general description of "OD". I found an exellent thread that provides a guidance on what type of paint I need to do this plane. Dai

Aircraft Colors and Camouflage, US Army Air Force - Resources - The World Wars.net

P-47 Olive Drab Question - "Little Bunny" - Aviation Discussion - Large Scale Planes

I7EtaLm.png

Edited by dai phan

Greetings...

A little more progress tonight. It starts to look like a Thunderbolt now. For the wheel well color I use the Tamiya XF4 as there is an agreement that it closely matches the yellow zinc chromate color. I initially used the Mission Model Paint YZC but I thought it is too bright in yellow. Dai

IMG_9006.jpg

IMG_9009.jpg

IMG_9017.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Happy Monday everyone...

Got the main decals applied. I decided to go for the 56FG as it sported an unique egg green cowl trim as well as the black tail stripes. The pale green nose lasted only a month before the group went to the blue trim. I used the Tamiya' stars and bars as the Life Life 's offering is very soft and prone to shatterring in my heavy handed hands. The cowgirl on the nose has low resolution that will benefit from some careful painting with ink pens before transfering over. Now onto some selective stencils. Dai

IMG_9077.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello everyone....

A little more progress for this evening...The tail bands are provided as black decals but the illustrations on the Net show a faded OD. The band colors at the time were black, white or yellow. I suspect the bands were painted black then faded into an OD-ish shade. The locations of the bands I am not sure if that is correct or should be more inboard. Photos of the period showed a wide variation in their proper locations. I could not find an actual photo of this particular plane except for one that shows the cockpit area. Dai

An excellent photographic collection of P-47s.

P-47 Thunderbolt USAAF ww2 fighter | World War Photos

IMG_9096.jpg

Edited by dai phan
  • 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, MR Brush Brutalizer said:

I think its awesome that you made the openings in a different yellow color.

But how do you make your washes?

I tried using black and water and ended up with something that either wipes out or makes stains everywhere!

I use Flory Models Wash and Tamiya's Panel Liner. Flory's is water based with colored clay pigments that gives you the highest percentage of unwanted wash removal. But it works well in deep panel lines. In my P-47 the panel lines are thin and shallow that I have to augment with Tamiya Panel Liner (enamel). The later stays better in the panel lines than Flory's. Dai

IMG_9147.jpg

IMG_9151.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Greeting my dear modelers...

The P-47D is finally done. Again here are my takes...

PROS:

1. Excellent engineering and fit.

2. Excellent decals that responded well to solutions.

3. Detailed cockpit and wheel bays.

4. The best P-47D in 1/48 scale. 

CONS:

1. Below average fit in some areas (the fuel tank pylons to the wing). 

2. Injection marks in some areas.

3. Canopy does not fit well in closed configuration.

4. Sway braces do not contact the fuel tanks. 

Overall an excellent kit of the famous Thunderbolt. Dai

IMG_9170.jpg

IMG_9174.jpg

IMG_9175.jpg

IMG_9178.jpg

IMG_9182.jpg

Edited by dai phan