SAAB Sk37E Viggen, 1/48th scale Special Hobby

As I´ve mentioned in my jetmads threads I had to finish off three comission builds before I could get started on a big Viggen.
Well, I am finished with the builds and I thought I´d present the three brothers in turn. Today it´s Olle 61, as of yet one of 
the two still flying Viggen. It is a demilitirised Sk37E from the now closed F15 wing in Soederhamn. In it´s day it was turned 
into a potent EW platform with an asortment of pods to go with it.

Now it flies with the SwAFHF (Swedish Air Force Historic Flight) on air shows across Europe. 

For the build it was loaded with Master pitot tubes, Maestro PE and wheels, pilot repicas pilot figure and a CMK figure with seat, 
CMK reverse thrust paddels. The decals was put together from various sources and sheets.

Ok here are the pics! And I´m a bit sorry they didn´t turn out that good after editing...I´ll do better on the next Viggen 😄

DSC_5401(1).jpg

DSC_5403(1).jpg

DSC_5405(1).jpg

DSC_5407(1).jpg

DSC_5409(1).jpg

DSC_5412(1).jpg

DSC_5414(1).jpg

DSC_5417(1).jpg

DSC_5418(1).jpg

DSC_5420(1).jpg

More in part 2

Edited by Aigore
6 hours ago, Aigore said:

Now it flies with the SwAFHF (Swedish Air Force Historic Flight) on air shows across Europe. 

Well, not 'now' as I haven't seen her at any of the shows I've been to so far this year that did feature the Sk35 Draken, singleseat Viggen en Lansen. Is this bird in maintenance?

I love your Viggen, although I personally believe a white background to the pictures would do her more justice. 

1 hour ago, pollie said:

Well, not 'now' as I haven't seen her at any of the shows I've been to so far this year that did feature the Sk35 Draken, singleseat Viggen en Lansen. Is this bird in maintenance?

I love your Viggen, although I personally believe a white background to the pictures would do her more justice. 

Thanks 😄

Not sure, I haven't been to any shows lately. 🤔

And you are completely right about the backdrop...just don't have anything white of the right size 😕

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Thadeus said:

Looks great. The Swedish camo is surely a stunner. And You not going insane doing it deserves some praise! Kind of shame the Grippens did not adopt this scheme.

Thanks Thadeus 😄

yeah, it was always a sheme reserved for attack aircraft flying low and fast. The idea behind that some fighter viggens got the "leaf pile" was that an enemy wouldn't know if they were meeting attack jets or fighters. Since Gripen doe's all three ( fighter, attack, recce) it was decided they should all be gray. There was one Gripen A however that got a splinter scheme as it was retired.

tumblr_meypk13SS71r9n7odo1_640.png

On 2/6/2022 at 8:25 PM, Aigore said:

Thanks Thadeus 😄

yeah, it was always a sheme reserved for attack aircraft flying low and fast. The idea behind that some fighter viggens got the "leaf pile" was that an enemy wouldn't know if they were meeting attack jets or fighters. Since Gripen doe's all three ( fighter, attack, recce) it was decided they should all be gray. There was one Gripen A however that got a splinter scheme as it was retired.

tumblr_meypk13SS71r9n7odo1_640.png

I had the side profile of a splintered schemed Gripen in a 1980's book on modern jets. It was labeled as a future scheme. Well, the gray indeed is easier to paint 😉

• 2 months later...

Hi Jan, Nice Nice Nice build and finish!!  For ages now I have wanted to do a 2-seat splinter-camo on my 20 year old stash bird (an old-old-old 1/72 Matchbox kit.  Fortunately, per modelingmadness.com review, "Externally, this kit is entirely engraved and while the panel lines are not quite to their infamous trench depth, some sanding and rattle can primer is still be recommended") ...... seeing your magnificent 1/48 beauty makes me really want to do my humble kit now.  IMHO, well done to you my brother-in-modelling.  John

• 3 months later...
On 4/26/2022 at 11:27 PM, floridaplastic said:

Hi Jan, Nice Nice Nice build and finish!!  For ages now I have wanted to do a 2-seat splinter-camo on my 20 year old stash bird (an old-old-old 1/72 Matchbox kit.  Fortunately, per modelingmadness.com review, "Externally, this kit is entirely engraved and while the panel lines are not quite to their infamous trench depth, some sanding and rattle can primer is still be recommended") ...... seeing your magnificent 1/48 beauty makes me really want to do my humble kit now.  IMHO, well done to you my brother-in-modelling.  John

Thanks John :D

I hope you got on with your Viggen :D