Yellow Zinc Chromate paints

Greetings

I am building the Tamiya P-47D and the wheel well color calls for the YZC. I use the Mission Model Paint YZC and it is much more yellow than the Tamiya XF-4 (green yellow) that many modelers use for the YZC. I also have the Mig Ammo YZC that is also very yellow as with the Mission Paint. Any one knows if the Mission Model YZC is the the right color to use in this case? Thanks Dai 

You are not going to like my answer. Unfortunately zinc chromate is a misnomer. It is not an actual colour.  Zinc chromate is a protective coating with pigment. This comes in all sorts of different shades ranging from an almost lime green to mustard yellow and probably many others.  You’re either going to a) choose a colour you prefer or think is appropriate, or do some research to find out what plane where it was made and what pigments they might’ve been using.  During this war time effort things changed rapidly and many colours were improvised.

On 10/12/2021 at 8:09 PM, davevw said:

You are not going to like my answer. Unfortunately zinc chromate is a misnomer. It is not an actual colour.  Zinc chromate is a protective coating with pigment. This comes in all sorts of different shades ranging from an almost lime green to mustard yellow and probably many others.  You’re either going to a) choose a colour you prefer or think is appropriate, or do some research to find out what plane where it was made and what pigments they might’ve been using.  During this war time effort things changed rapidly and many colours were improvised.

Thank you for your reply. After much consideration I repainted using the Tamiya XF4 as it is not bright yellow. But then again I could be way wrong. The XF4 is widely accepted as the closest match as far as I can see from doing research on the Net. Some thought the old now defunct Testors enamel was the closest match. You are right.  War time condition, wear and tear, improvisation all took a toll on many shades YZC took. Dai 

Edited by dai phan