1/144 Academy F-4E modiified to a F-4C #63-7680 flown by COL Olds in Operation Bolo

Having built the 1/144 VPAF Mig-21PF I began reading more of the Vietnam War. I came across an article on Operation Bolo - a daring attempt by COL Olds who assumed Commander of 8TFW based in Ubon Thailand on 30 September 1966. The USAF has suffered significant losses to the VPAF due to the restricted ROE and the hit-and-run tactics of the VPAF Migs guided by GCI radar controllers.

COL Olds, together with his wing tactics officer Capt John B Stone and a quartet of junior veteran F-4 pilots embarked on a plan to stem the losses. The plan was to have the Phantoms carry the same QRC-160 radar jammmer as the F-105D Thuds. They will fly the same route pattern and profile as the Thuds to deceive the GCI radar controllers into believing they were Thuds on a bombing mission. Flying the Phantoms with only one under wing drop tank posed a challenge to the pilots especially during take-off with full fuel.

I learnt the COL Olds flew a F-4C #63-7680 supposedly under 497TFS. Operation Bolo was launched on 2 January 1967. It was a success as the VPAF suffered heavy losses when they fell for the trap. COL Olds scored a confiremd Mig-21 kill. 

I used the 1/144 Academy F-4E as the base kit for the modification. Cut off the long nose for the E and replaced it with a scratch-built F-4C nose. This particular F-4C nose did not have the IRST pod on the chin (its nose was upgraded post Bolo). Scratch-built the QRC-160 jammer and pylon. Improved the inner pylons and added scratch-built LAU launchers and added the 4 x AIM 9B. Added the 4 x AIM 7Es under the belly.

It was painted SEA Camo on the upper surface and white on the underside and not light grey as I read it. The paint work was weathered to show the harsh weather conditions in Thailand.

Enjoy the photos

S K Loh

Bolo 1.jpg

Bolo 2.jpg

Bolo 3.jpg

Bolo 4.jpg

Bolo 5.jpg

Bolo 6.jpg

Bolo 7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...