Could this be Corogard ?

More than likely over spray of fuselage color, a technique commonly used by the U. S. military. The color also almost perfectly matches Kelly Johnson's suit. I believe the intakes of that time frame were like Powers's crashed U2 in Russia, chromate green. jon

Most likely that is a dark grey primer that was sprayed on. Most jet intakes are made as smooth as possible in order to not disrupt the airflow headed towards the engine. Jet engines do funny things if the air being pulled in isn't flowing fairly smoothly, so I'd guess it's a sandable primer with dark coloring added.

As far as painting is concerned, I would suggest adding a couple drops of black to your favorite match to FS36081 to darken it up and call it good.

I just noticed for the first time the black nose on that U-2.  I have been near a few of them in the pastbut never saw that.

I never heard of corogard before.I do remember watching a aircraft mechanic going over a U-2 before a mission and he was not wearinghis shoes.  I was curious about this so when everyone left to grab a bite for lunch before teh pilot showed I walked over and saw that the wing had some strange paint on it that actually stood up from the metal.  Any ideas what they were using?  This was in late 1971 in S.E.A.

Guys, thanks for replies . Sorry for the late reply, I was away for a few days.

jonwinn: yes, overspray is definitely another explanation.

habu2: I agree that an inlet duct is not a logical use of Corogurd.

MHaz: I would not expect Lockheed to use yet another primer system. In that case I would expect chromate yellow, or chromate green. But Lockheed may reason differently 🙂

ikar: what you describe sounds like the TR-1 that I saw upclose at a Ramstein air show, 1983 or so. To me it looked like very rough sandpaper, 80 or 120 grit. I have no idea what kind of paint it was.

Rob