OH58 experts, your knowledge is requested....

cq9HMOM.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm beginning a project for a good friend that flew '58s in Afghanistan. (7/17th)

I would like to add in as much detail as possible.

He remembers them being black both inside and out. (Google shows some black but the majority are dark drab color)

Is there a specific FS# and or brand of paint I should order?

Any interior reference pics anyone could share?

I'm also looking for an "uncaged" M3 or I may scratchbuild one if I can find some good ref.

I should also mention that I'm coming back from an 8yr absence from the hobby so any advice on all these "new" products would be appreciated as well.

It's amazing how much has changed since I had to pack everything into storage back in 2013!
I'm close to finishing the new hobby room and am looking forward to building again!

But would greatly appreciate any guidance and information so I can honor this friends service!

Thanks,

Steve

Go to Wernerswings.com 

Floyd Werner just released a new OH-58D resin set that includes the new gun and other antennas and such. 

He also has another awesome 58D resin set as well as a brand new OH-58D decal sheet.

His stuff is out of this world!!!

You won't be disappointed. 

HTH

Tim 

Edited by hawkwrench
24 minutes ago, hawkwrench said:

Go to Wernerswings.com 

Floyd Werner just released a new OH-58D resin set that includes the new gun and other antennas and such. 

He also has another awesome 58D resin set as well as a brand new OH-58D decal sheet.

His stuff is out of this world!!!

You won't be disappointed. 

HTH

Tim 

Thanks Tim!

I'll check it out!

I'm about to embark on a similar project with this kit and much after market, including Werner's Wing's new resin and decals. I'd recommend the thread below with a link to a very good article on 58s. 

My question, and not to the hijack this thread, is, would these have flown much at night? TIA.

Edited by Newtonk
Add link

I'll second Werner's Wings products.  They are awesome.  Also, bend Floyd's ear as well.  He flew OH-58Ds in the Army.

7 hours ago, Newtonk said:

would these have flown much at night?

Yes, they flew 24/7, good or bad weather, etc..

He remembers them being black both inside and out. (Google shows some black but the majority are dark drab color)

Is there a specific FS# and or brand of paint I should order?

The color is a very dark green known as US Army Helo Drab and is FS#34031.  It is available from AK, Testors Model Master, and a few other model paint companies.

Edited by HeavyArty
3 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

I'll second Werner's Wings products.  They are awesome.  Also, bend Floyd's ear as well.  He flew OH-58Ds in the Army.

The color is a very dark green known as US Army Helo Drab and is FS#34031.  It is available from AK, Testors Model Master, and a few other model paint companies.

Thanks Gino!

I appreciate the help!

10 hours ago, Newtonk said:

I'm about to embark on a similar project with this kit and much after market, including Werner's Wing's new resin and decals. I'd recommend the thread below with a link to a very good article on 58s.

Thanks Newtonk.

Very good article!

6 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

What they said.  I'd also offer up the Squadron/Signal book on the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior Walk Around written by me.  It is not as up to date as what your friend flew but it is pretty close and you'll see what it is suppose to be like.
Floyd

Thank you sir!

Much appreciated.

21 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Squadron/Signal book on the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior Walk Around written by me.
Floyd

Uhm.

That book is $$$$$ now. 😳
You happen to have an extra copy I could borrow and return when this project is finished?

2 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Sorry I do not have an extra copy.  They all went out.  

Floyd

You must’ve done a great job on it! I believe I’ve found enough photos online that I should be able to achieve a decent level of detail. 
I’ll post some progress pics once I get a little further along. 

11 hours ago, SteveL said:

You must’ve done a great job on it! I believe I’ve found enough photos online that I should be able to achieve a decent level of detail. 
I’ll post some progress pics once I get a little further along. 

If you need anything in particular hit me up on here in PM.  I'll see what I can do.

Floyd

Some progress. 

Harnesses are mocked up for now. Blue is the med bag. I simulated the “fuzzy” seats. They’re painted for now just to see how it looked. Still have a bit more “wiring” to do on the copilot side. 

bNUKuwd.jpg

UQFoe2C.jpg

E70oMJQ.jpg

Sorry to hijack this post. I bought the Academy Kiowa Warrior THUGS and I need some clarification from the experts. The kit upper airframe around the rotor assembly seems to miss out the bulge and intake holes. Is the kit correct or are all OH-58D have the bigger front bulging airframe?

The kit is designed for the original version of the Kiowa Warrior.  If you want that cowling you’ll need to buy the Werner’s Wings 35-01 OH-58D Kiowa Warrior Update set.

If you want it now you had better place the order this morning as I will be going on vacation and shutting the website down for ordering until the 21st.

Floyd

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.
2 hours ago, Cklasse said:

Sorry to hijack this post. I bought the Academy Kiowa Warrior THUGS and I need some clarification from the experts. The kit upper airframe around the rotor assembly seems to miss out the bulge and intake holes. Is the kit correct or are all OH-58D have the bigger front bulging airframe?

Floyd has a kit that provides the area you’re speaking of plus the doors and tail boom antennae and a bunch of other nice fiddly bits!

Here’s my project mocked up with a few of the kit pieces.

Still have a long way to go!

RjSrV3K.jpg

1 hour ago, HeavyArty said:

Coming along nicely.  Good job.

Thank you!

I appreciate you taking the time to comment!

Still shaking off some cobwebs from not having built anything for several years!
I suppose it’s a lot like falling off a bike! 👊🥸

Question/advice…..

I need to add in the conduit/hose to the middle trim of the front canopy as indicated in photo.

PaVBnrw.jpg

My concern is fogging the clear when gluing. 
I have already masked (w/ Tamiya tape) and painted the interior. 

Option A: use Tamiya liquid cement to attach the evergreen strip directly to the painted plastic. (I have both Tamiya “thin” and “deluxe”.)

Option B: drill very small hole through windscreen and “pin” the evergreen piece so that only the pin and hole have glue. 

Any other process or advice would be appreciated.