OH58 experts, your knowledge is requested....

Question for you guys…..

Could use some recommendations on the best (safest?) way to get the proper droop on these rotor blades? 
I’ve got one shot at this since and really don’t wanna screw it up! 

11 minutes ago, midnightprowler said:

Lightly  and gently pull them over the edge of a table 

Lol. That’s it? 
And here I thought it would be some sort of voodoo-trickery! 

Seems much easier than expected! 
(Now let’s all hope that I bend them in the correct direction!! 😳

4 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

Well, there are many ways, that's how I have done it, just for a simple bend. Some use hot water, then bend, I find my way has less a chance of snapping the blade in two.

I like simple. 
Appreciate the help. 

1 hour ago, midnightprowler said:

Just take your time  and be gentle. 

That’s what she sa…… 😊h never mind! 

This is the plan for the rotors. 
Going to use tissue paper for the part over the rotor tip. 

GBURRFs.jpg

Bending of the rotor blades turned out fine. (I appreciate the help/tips for that process) 👊😎

I also made a water bottle to add some more detail. 
It’s actually pretty simple to do if you haven’t tried it yet. 
Just find some clear sprue that looks to be the right thickness. Chuck it into a dremel. Spin it at a somewhat low speed, shape it with a small file and then polish it out to clear. Paint a lil clear blue “label” and done! (I added a small piece of round stock for the cap since the one I “shaped” broke off.)

Nkz7MmW.jpg

Should have some more updates in the next few days. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone had a great Xmas! 
Made a good bit of progress over the holiday. 
One of my favorite parts of the entire build is the weathering!

Tried a little salt technique first. And then went to my tried and true, oils! 

ZBrTRYc.jpg

eQjxvQN.jpg

More to come soon. 

Steve

Question #1

Can anybody help me out with printing a decal? Apparently, my printer cannot do it!!

I have the art ready and to size and can email it if you have decal film you prefer, or I can send the decal sheets through the mail!

This particular bird had "nose art" and I would like to add it if at all possible.

I can cover postage to and from!

Question #2

I have also been trying to find a source for a plexi display case. Received a quote from an old source locally but the price was prohibitive!

Sent quote requests to a couple of sources I found in a web search but haven't heard back at all. (holidays?)

I'm fine with ordering the pieces and putting it together myself in order to keep the cost down.

Hoping, someone has a reliable source they can pass on!

Steve

7 hours ago, Rotorman said:

Nicely done.

Thank you Rotorman! (Much appreciated!)

Edited by SteveL

It is coming along very nicely.  Great job so far. 

What is the nose art?  If it has white in it, no home printer prints white, they just leave it blank assuming you are using white paper.  To print white, you either need an Alps printer (prints white) or to use white decal paper and cut out the decal very close as to not show the white where you don't want it.  Alternately, contact a professional decal company (who probably uses an Alps) and have them do it.

The same issue occurs when trying to put a light(ish) color decal like grey or sand onto a darker model base color (i.e. Helo Drab Green).  The lighter color seems to disappear on the darker one due to low color saturation and transparency.  The above methods are the same for the lighter color.

Edited by HeavyArty
12 hours ago, SteveL said:

Question #2

I have also been trying to find a source for a plexi display case. Received a quote from an old source locally but the price was prohibitive!

Sent quote requests to a couple of sources I found in a web search but haven't heard back at all. (holidays?)

I'm fine with ordering the pieces and putting it together myself in order to keep the cost down.

Hoping, someone has a reliable source they can pass on!

Bases by Bill can make a base for you with plexiglass and they are beautifully done and relatively inexpensive for what you get.  I love mine.

https://basesbybill.com/

Floyd