OH58 experts, your knowledge is requested....

6 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

Contact Speedway Decals.  He's not currently doing custom work,  but if you have the art ready in his format he might. They're on Facebook,  fotki and www.speedwaydecals.com 

Thanks. I’ll check it out. 

1 hour ago, HeavyArty said:

It is coming along very nicely.  Great job so far. 

What is the nose art?  If it has white in it, no home printer prints white, they just leave it blank assuming you are using white paper.  To print white, you either need an Alps printer (prints white) or to use white decal paper and cut out the decal very close as to not show the white where you don't want it.  Alternately, contact a professional decal company (who probably uses an Alps) and have them do it.

The same issue occurs when trying to put a light(ish) color decal like grey or sand onto a darker model base color (i.e. Helo Drab Green).  The lighter color seems to disappear on the darker one due to low color saturation and transparency.  The above methods are the same for the lighter color.

Thanks Floyd! Your kit was awesome! 

Regarding decal…. My plan was to have the decal printed on clear and then paint over it with the colors. Kind of like a “paint by number” in a way. I was going to print the art as just line but also with colors and see which worked best. 
Not sure if it’s the best plan but a plan nonetheless.

Appreciate the plexi lead as well. 
I’ll let you know how it goes!! 

5 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Bases by Bill can make a base for you with plexiglass and they are beautifully done and relatively inexpensive for what you get.  I love mine.

https://basesbybill.com/

Floyd

Talked to Bill. He’s putting something together that should work for what I’m needing! 
Thanks for the referral!! 

Steve, I checked on this thread early on when you were gathering info and as I didn't have anything to contribute. Now I see the fantastic work you're doing - the MFDs look incredible! - and I regret only coming back to it now. Great work!

1 hour ago, K5054NZ said:

Steve, I checked on this thread early on when you were gathering info and as I didn't have anything to contribute. Now I see the fantastic work you're doing - the MFDs look incredible! - and I regret only coming back to it now. Great work!

Thanks! 
I admit it was kind of a weird thread title to start with! Glad you came back to check it out. 
I’ve really enjoyed building this one. 
I still have a bit on the “to do” list but not as many as what’s on the “to done” list though!!!
🤘😎🤘

Edited by SteveL

The helos basically done at this point. Working on the base at the moment. 
I’m building it in 2 parts. The ‘base’ with the framing. Which the plexi box will fit within. 
And then the ‘tarmac’’ which will fit inside the dimensions of the plexiglass box. Kinda hard to explain but will be easier to understand once it’s together. 

qpR8p3p.jpg

I used 1/4” MDF cut to the inside diameter of the plexi box. Drew out my pattern and “scribed” it. I also roughed up some areas for detail. 

IqlY9o7.jpg

After that I spray-painted some “stone” textured Krylon followed with white primer. 
Next we’re several rounds of salt weathering technique using varying colors for effect.

I still need to add in the ground wire attachment point but not sure where exactly to put it yet. 

AF6VjFJ.jpg

Detail

y4a5q5O.jpg

Decided to use Tamiya’s Clear Yellow since most of the  reference I found shows the yellow was pretty faded. 
Lastly, I lightly sanded everything with some 600 to reveal some of that original white primer. 

Thanks for checking in! 
More to come soon. 

Edited by SteveL

Ok. After looking at it for a few days, I “googled” more pics and found that some stripes were brighter and yellow outlined in black. This contrast was much more interesting than my original. So, repainted and also added a “wash” of a sand/buff color overall. I also added the “grounding” port/wire that will attach to model.
After a decent dull coat, it was attached to the base/frame. 

PtBf9dy.jpg

Getting close to the finish line now!! 

21 minutes ago, Rotorman said:

yep this rocks. Nicely done. Maybe a upright fire extinguisher by the helo ?

Thanks. 
Good idea. 
I’ll have to check the spares and see if I have one. 

I’ll be bringing it down to the contest in Chattanooga, Tn next weekend and then handing it over to the friend I built it for after that.