Compressor & airbrush preferences & recommendations

Hi guys!

My wife really caught me off guard yesterday when she said that with Christmas coming up, she wanted me to give her a list of modeling tools that I would like to get.  My top two needs are a new airbrush and a new compressor.

My trusty ol' Aztek airbrush has been soldiering on for a good 15 years or so, but I think it's time for an upgrade.  What's a good airbrush that will allow me to do some good freehand camouflage work?  I like my Aztek, but I can't do freehand camo jobs because there's always too much overspray.  I'm hoping to find something around the $100 - $125 range.

As for air compressors, I currently have a Craftsman Evolv 3-gallon air compressor.  It's maybe 8 - 10 years old and I think it's time for a new one.  It used to take less than a minute to fill up the tank, but now it can run for about 15 minutes and it still won't get as full as it used to.  I'd like to get a compressor that will not only serve my modeling needs, but something I can still use around the house for working a small nailer, filling up car & bike tires, etc.  I'm hoping to find something in the $150 range, but I don't know if that's being realistic or not.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences!  I figured it would be best to order things now especially seeing as how all I'm hearing about is the supply chain issues.

Thanks in advance,

Eric 

Sounds like your old compressor has a leak.  For a new compressor I would suggest a silent compressor designed for use with an airbrush or CO2. I switched to CO2 almost 20 years ago. In my case the CO2 supplier is across the street from where I work so it's convenient to swap tanks. At the rate I build it costs me about $30 a year but getting set up will probably cost a few hundred dollars. 

What's your budget?  I've acquired several airbrushes over the years by various manufacturers including Iwata, Grex and an old plastic Aztec.  The one I use most often is a single action Sear's branded Badger 200 my parents gave me for Christmas about 40 years ago.  That's for just laying down paint, if I need to free hand I usually use a pistol grip Grex Tritium TG

Yeah, I'm definitely suspecting a leak in the seals or something like that.  I briefly pondered the possibility of getting it fixed, but it really isn't a top-notch compressor.  It worked great for a while, but I think I'm looking at just getting something that's a bit higher quality.

I've been seeing more and more about people going with CO2.  I need to do some searching in my area to see where I can get tanks, refills, etc.  It's definitely something to consider.  

Otherwise, in terms of budget, I guess I was looking around the $125 range, but the $150 neighborhood is still fine with me.  I've seen the Grex airbrush in my local hobby shop and I was wondering if it was one to consider.  It's good to hear that you're enjoying yours!

Eric

I finally invested in a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR Plus V.2 airbrush (and I'd also use to use the good old Badger 200 single action tool).

Even when I'm a complete noob at airbrushing, I've found the Infinity tool to be a lot forgiving when doing free-hand camo patterns. I recently switched to lacquer paints as well, and the results are much more better than the Badger 200/Enamel paint combo.

As for compressors, I've always had this trusty 11-litre tank capacity one, which has a silent fridge compressor head on top, pressure regulator, moisture trap and automatic shutdown once the pressure capacity has been reached, that I had it since 1991. It's a local brand going by the name of Tormi.

(Bummer, can't seem to be able to post a pic - noob...:rolleyes:

I used an Aztek for at least 10yrs, then went to an Iwata HP-CP.

Like chalk and cheese.  I had no idea how inconsistent & unreliable the plastic Aztek was until I got the Iwata.

I constantly had to dis-assemble & clean the Aztek (this voids the warranty) as the body got full of paint.  Nozzles always clogging and sputtering.  Trigger mechanism snapped (got a new one under warranty, but still the same drama's).

The Iwata still has it's blockage issues, but it is much much easier to strip and clean and put back together.  Usually, it is the very fine needle nozzle that gets gunk in it (tissue or t-shirt fibres from cleaning the paint cup?) and that is simple to clean. And some paints will still spray nicer than others (gloss paints seem to spray less smoothly than flats).  But overall, it is much better.

Edited by Thommo

I don't know compressors world news using old Aztec AC500 (not the black heavy loud one but latest) which is like 17 y.o. and counting.

As for airbrushes, I highly recommend GSI Creos PS270 or PS289 depending on your nozzle preference (0.2 and 0.3 mm respectively). They are at least as good as Iwata (I think PS270 is a bit better than Iwata HP-CS ) and pretty much compatible. Also both are exactly in your price range. Or you add $100 and get PS 770/771 with 0.18 mm nozzle and lots of possible adjustment options.

For compressors in your price range, look at the California Air Tool models, not super quiet, but won’t wake the dead either. 
https://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-series-of-air-compressor-contractor-grade/

I have a late 1990s model HP-C, it s sprays nice but was always a bugger to clear. Now I use the H&S Infinity brush, costs more than your price range, but highly recommended. I also have the GSI- Creos PS770. One of the appeals of the H&S brushes is the range of needle/tip and paint cup options that can easily be switched around. I typically use the smaller cup with either 0.15 or .2mm tip and needle but also have the 0.4mm tip and needle as well as a large paint cup for bigger jobs. There is even a 0.6mm tip and needle available.

I wanted to thank everyone for the great input and suggestions!  Believe me when I say I am going to look into each and every one.  Chuck, you've piqued my interest in the H&S airbrush.  I like the thought of having a range of needle and especially cup size options.  I am going to look into it for sure.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Paasche Talon airbrush.  If so, what are your thoughts on it?  

Thanks!

PS.  For the record, I actually do enjoy my Aztek.  LOL!  Yes, I know of its reputation, but it has soldiered on for me for a long time and has done an excellent job for me.  I remember when I first got it.  It rocked my world and I was like "Holy cow!  I'll never go back to brush painting my model kits ever again!"  I imagine that when I get a bit more capable airbrush, I'll be like "Holy cow!  Where have you been all my life???"

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2021 at 7:17 AM, Chuck1945 said:

For compressors in your price range, look at the California Air Tool models,, not super quiet, but won’t wake the dead either. 
https://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-series-of-air-compressor-contractor-grade/

I have a late 1990s model HP-C, it s sprays nice but was always a bugger to clear. Now I use the H&S Infinity brush, costs more than your price range, but highly recommended. I also have the GSI- Creos PS770. One of the appeals of the H&S brushes is the range of needle/tip and paint cup options that can easily be switched around. I typically use the smaller cup with either 0.15 or .2mm tip and needle but also have the 0.4mm tip and needle as well as a large paint cup for bigger jobs. There is even a 0.6mm tip and needle available.

I reviewed the product you provided. I also own lowes. They suggested I get a new one. Can I really do something to repair it? Or would you really recommend this product?

I second the California Air Tools compressor. I've had mine since January of 2015 and it's been great. My model ( CAT-6310 ) isn't made anymore but, the CAT-8010 looks exactly like mine.

As for the Paasche Talon, I do not own one but, I've had two Paasche VL series airbrushes for over 20 years now and, they are my workhorses. I have one brush with the #1 needle set up in it and, another one with a #3 needle in it, great airbrushes.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 8:27 AM, echolmberg said:

I wanted to thank everyone for the great input and suggestions!  Believe me when I say I am going to look into each and every one.  Chuck, you've piqued my interest in the H&S airbrush.  I like the thought of having a range of needle and especially cup size options.  I am going to look into it for sure.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Paasche Talon airbrush.  If so, what are your thoughts on it?  

I second H&S airbrushes.  I've switched from Iwata over to H&S, and H&S airbrushes are much easier to take apart and clean without using any tools.  I also own the Paasche Talon for large area coverage and spraying primer since it doesn't perform as well as the H&S at fine detail work and freehand camo.

21 hours ago, RichardL said:

I second H&S airbrushes.  I've switched from Iwata over to H&S, and H&S airbrushes are much easier to take apart and clean without using any tools.  I also own the Paasche Talon for large area coverage and spraying primer since it doesn't perform as well as the H&S at fine detail work and freehand camo.

I really like the thought of being able to take them apart and clean them more easily.  I actually do have an Iwata Eclipse from about 25 years ago.  Using the special tool they provided, I accidentally over-tightened the tip from where the needle protrudes.  I swear I wasn't reefing on it and yet the conical portion completely ripped free from the threaded portion.  Ever since then, I've been leery of the seemingly delicate nature of Iwata parts.

2 hours ago, echolmberg said:

I actually do have an Iwata Eclipse from about 25 years ago.  Using the special tool they provided, I accidentally over-tightened the tip from where the needle protrudes.

I used to have an Iwata Eclipse also.  You mentioned your budget is in the $100 - $125 range, but I would spend a little bit more and get the H&S Evolution CRplus.  It is an excellent, fully solvent-resistant airbrush with PTFE seals.  Midwest Airbrush Supply often hands out 15% off.

4 hours ago, RichardL said:

I used to have an Iwata Eclipse also.  You mentioned your budget is in the $100 - $125 range, but I would spend a little bit more and get the H&S Evolution CRplus.  It is an excellent, fully solvent-resistant airbrush with PTFE seals.  Midwest Airbrush Supply often hands out 15% off.

Ya know....I still have not purchased a new airbrush yet, but as I think on it more and more, I'm really thinking of sticking the crowbar in my wallet, biting the bullet, and just springing more for a good airbrush.  If I just get myself a good quality airbrush now, then I won't have to deal with getting an upgrade several years from now.  I'm impressed with all that I'm hearing & reading about the H&S airbrushes.

Eric

Midwest also seems to have a great sale on Grexx airbrushes...$299 marked down to $178 on the TG series. Multiple tip sizes and color cups. They are well made and perform well.

The ultimate "best" here is practice. And the adage "buy cheap...buy twice" certainly applies.

I would certainly check out Midwest

Bob

Get a cheap compressor with an airtank and spend the good money on the airbrush. I have run them cheap compressors for more than 12 years without a problem, and they are fairly quiet. Grexx or Iwata is where I would spend my cash on an airbrush personally.