1/48 Lockheed F-90

Anyone else wish Atlantis would repop the old Aurora 1/4" (1/48) scale Lockheed F-90 kit?   I had this one as a kid and played with it till it was broke beyond repair and eventually tossed out.  There are couple on the 'bay right now going for stupid crazy money.  While it wasn't much as far as kits go, I'd love to see what I could do with the old kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aurora-33-129-lockheed-f-90--159882

Edited by Drifterdon

I too would love to see the XF-90.  I think however I heard somewhere that the molds are in poor shape, with a lot of corrosion and pitting.  Aurora used good steel in their molds, hardened to about 75 Rockwell.  Age (this tooling is now something like 60+ years old), long term storage and sometimes stored in poor conditions take their toll.  I hope that Atlantis is does take a look at this kit and a few others like the original Aurora 1/48 scale F4H-1 with the cut back intakes, flat canopies and small nose.    

Was it Aurora or the ancient Revell  '50s kits that had the "engraved" national insignias on the wings and fuselage? That was my biggest beef with them, some were the only kit of that type so if you wanted that it was the only game in town. Loved the super spartan cockpits with a guy in a chair holding a stick, side consoles? Bwahahahaha. jon

Want to know how dumb I was?  As a fourteen year old Air Force brat, I bought a sealed, never opened original Aurora F-90 at the exchange at Hill AFB in '71.  Sold it, unopened in the 1980s for 10 or 15 bucks.  

2 hours ago, jonwinn said:

Was it Aurora or the ancient Revell  '50s kits that had the "engraved" national insignias on the wings and fuselage? That was my biggest beef with them, some were the only kit of that type so if you wanted that it was the only game in town. Loved the super spartan cockpits with a guy in a chair holding a stick, side consoles? Bwahahahaha. jon

I think both did the engraved markings back in the 50's and early 60's.   Some even skipped the guy in the chair and just molded his head to the fuselage and you plopped the canopy down over it.

2 hours ago, AD-4N said:

Want to know how dumb I was?  As a fourteen year old Air Force brat, I bought a sealed, never opened original Aurora F-90 at the exchange at Hill AFB in '71.  Sold it, unopened in the 1980s for 10 or 15 bucks.  

I don't think there was much of a demand back in the 80's for these kits.   If only we knew then what we know now we could all be rich.   Well, maybe not rich but better off than we are now.   :salute:

I had a buddy who would leave the decal in the water till they floated off the paper.   When they would fall off the model because the adhesive was washed away, he'd then just paint the markings on using the engraved outline as his border.   It always turned out pretty good.   He sure had a steady hand.  This was back when we were just starting out in the hobby.

Yeah if you remember that, Pactra lil paint bottles, Revell tube glue, and Aurora, Hawk, Lindberg, Polar Lights and AMT 3 in 1 stuff you been around a while. I started about 58 years ago at 10 years old. My favorite filler? Testors orange tube of glue!!! LOL jon

9 minutes ago, jonwinn said:

Yeah if you remember that, Pactra lil paint bottles, Revell tube glue, and Aurora, Hawk, Lindberg, Polar Lights and AMT 3 in 1 stuff you been around a while. I started about 58 years ago at 10 years old. My favorite filler? Testors orange tube of glue!!! LOL jon

Favorite nose weight to keep model on all it's wheels... tube glue and BB's.   Took a couple times before I realized all the glue was dissolving the radome into a lumpy blob.

20 minutes ago, jonwinn said:

You wasted good Red Rider ammo on your model? I'd a died for a tube of BBs. LMAO!!!!! jon

For a time some of my older models became targets of the good ole BB gun.   After target practice I'd gather up the pieces and repair what I could then back to the compost heap for more target practice.  

Edited by Drifterdon

Sitting here right now looking at my kit, and my copy of the Air Force Legends book and thinking of what I might need and how much work to make this happen......

Oh Kuuuuuuursaaaaaad.......

Rick L.

Edited by Spruemeister

Quite a bit...I have a vac. kit of the F-90 in 1/72...it is lot more accurate in outline than the 1/48 Aurora and I have a lot of T-33 and F-80 spares to fill it in. 

I rec. You get a 1/48 Monogram F-80 and maybe even a 1/48 T-33 from HobbyCraft for spares, seats, landing gear and wheels etc,,..

Steve,