1959 FC Holden diorama

Finally finished.

Tried several new things:

- A bloody expensive limited run resin kit.  It was a dog.  Poor fit etc.  Did my best.

- BMF.  Great on flatter areas, very tricky around compound curves.

- Vallejo Still Water.  Would be good for small areas of water, but not so great for my creek which had to be 1.3cm deep.  Don't use masking tape for a 'dam wall' to hold the water in, as in longer sections, the still water will pull it out of shape.  Don't apply Still Water in more than 2-3mm layers (mine needed about 6 layers) else it will take forever to dry.  It tends to shrink a bit to, and will climb up items in the diorama and form a lip.  I had to trim the lip against the masking tape off with a blade.  Also, it mysteriously went cloudy in areas well after it had been poured? Will try clear resin next time I do a larger body of water.

- Home-made trees using a video of an Aussie-based diorama maker.  Worked quite well, could have bulked the leaves out more though.  And we don't have saltbush growing around here, so I had to use lavender plant twigs, but they were quite good.

Final3.thumb.jpg.990f989f4d52603508b268278957f9aa.jpgFinal4.thumb.jpg.beb603c7b72107d9029252a8769bb80c.jpgFinal9.thumb.jpg.f567bf72072f82fd00c806969a1435d0.jpgFinal12.thumb.jpg.40d25f71847dfed426ea8b6a7da2a712.jpg

Edited by Thommo
  • 2 months later...

Nice FC, Thommo, what scale is it?

My list of "nice to haves" includes an FJ, EH and an EL Futura - all cars I've had in years gone bye.

I'm a bit of a fan for dioramas, too, especially if you can design them to tell a bit of a story. Yes, BMF is a bit fiddly, isn't it? I think my sheets are too old now (majority have 30 years or so) and the adhesive doesn't really adhere. 

Pity GM killed Holden, at least Opel lives on under another hat.

6 hours ago, kiwiRKC said:

Nice FC, Thommo, what scale is it?

My list of "nice to haves" includes an FJ, EH and an EL Futura - all cars I've had in years gone bye.

I'm a bit of a fan for dioramas, too, especially if you can design them to tell a bit of a story. Yes, BMF is a bit fiddly, isn't it? I think my sheets are too old now (majority have 30 years or so) and the adhesive doesn't really adhere. 

Pity GM killed Holden, at least Opel lives on under another hat.

1/24 scale.

I'm storing my BMF in the fridge to hopefully keep the adhesive working?

Holden's became a bit rubbish here on Oz in recent years.  Pieces of junk like the Cruze and the Captiva (locally called the Craptiva) which had all sorts of problems.  I had an old 80's VL Commodore which was ok, but started developing overheating problems.

For reliability, it's hard to go past a Toyota!

My BMF is well past storing in the fridge but that's a good idea if I buy more, thanks.

Yes, Toyota certainly has max reliability, even owned an '81 Corolla lift once. Who knows, maybe someone will bring Holden back as a BEV?