brushing evenly without leaving strokes

At this point its so bad I am suicidal.

I am painting the belly side of a messerchmidt with aqueous paints. After sanding the 2 layers I tried to paint a 3rd layer and the paint again dries off while i brush it and forms into trenches. This is disgusting.

Do i seriously NEED to use primer because the damn paint will never stick to the smooth plastic before i do 4 layers and make everything thick and ugly?

I cant buy thinner at the store, cant i just add some water to the paint jar and it will fix it?

Thats the problem, im raging right now.

I added some water to the paint...and still it gathers in lines and leaves orange peel. Even though the water should have thinned it.

even though mr color AQUEOUS is supposed to be thinned with water.

Everyone says buy a paint retarder, and I check the 3 stores in town, and "they dont have mr color brand currently" but they can sell me 6$ tamiya retarder...and if it doesnt work...because its a different brand...im out 6$....and my paint will be ruined (again) like when i used tamiya clear coat on top of my aqueous.

So, basically i try to paint a plane like a happy boy

- "oh you need this 10$ primer spray or the paint wont even brush on"

- "oh you need a thinner $$$"

- "oh you actually need a paint retarder too $$$"

This is supposed to be a kids hobby.....Im not using an airbrush. Using a kids brush im supposed to do an ok job without spending 30$ on various DLC add-ons for my paint.

This is not supposed to be some elitist "country club golf" hobby where I cant eat...because i spent all my money on products, washes and tools.

How can i...not even get angry? Its paint....how much money do i spend so i can have a thin, even layer without orange peel. 100$? 200$ on addons?

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

On my last build, I did some brush painting, using Tamiya and Citadel acrylic paints. I added a drop or two of this, in a small container. Worked great.

retarderX

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
12 hours ago, MR Brush Brutalizer said:

Im not using an airbrush.

That right there is the core of the problem since a lot of model paints seem to be produced and formulated with airbrushing as THE intended use.

And I think in the 1990s and early 2000s a couple paint manufacturers announced formulation changes to make their paints more directly suitable for airbrushing because airbrushing was either the 'right' way to paint models or was the current trendy fad, I forget which.

In other news:

It has seemed that paints marketed for miniatures gamers are far more hairy stick brush friendly.

well...the guys do have a point. I should spend the 5$+3$ shipping and buy the tamiya retarder. Everyone says after adding the retarder their brushing became as smooth as airbrush job. But its a little too late for this project. I guess when I buy paints and my next model.

For this model, I did add a tea spoon of water into the green paint jar and it made it a "little" better. Now even if some paint forms together as an overbrush, it is almost not noticable, and no visible orange peel or texture.

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

On my last build, I did some brush painting, using Tamiya and Citadel acrylic paints. I added a drop or two of this, in a small container. Worked great.

retarderX

Chris

So are you saying you added a few drops of the Tamiya Acrylic Paint Retarder to the full bottle of your paints, or put just how much paint you think you will need into a small container & then add the retarder? 

Once my Testors Model Master enamels run out, I will have to switch to an acrylic paint for both brush painting & airbrushing.

Larry

On 11/3/2021 at 7:40 PM, ReccePhreak said:

So are you saying you added a few drops of the Tamiya Acrylic Paint Retarder to the full bottle of your paints, or put just how much paint you think you will need into a small container & then add the retarder? 

Once my Testors Model Master enamels run out, I will have to switch to an acrylic paint for both brush painting & airbrushing.

Larry

Just a bit of paint in a small container with a drop or two of the retarder added, then stirred a bit.

On 11/3/2021 at 5:03 PM, MR Brush Brutalizer said:

well...the guys do have a point. I should spend the 5$+3$ shipping and buy the tamiya retarder. Everyone says after adding the retarder their brushing became as smooth as airbrush job. But its a little too late for this project. I guess when I buy paints and my next model.

For this model, I did add a tea spoon of water into the green paint jar and it made it a "little" better. Now even if some paint forms together as an overbrush, it is almost not noticable, and no visible orange peel or texture.

Go to the closest place that may have art supplies and get something like one of these. Though I haven't used any yet, I have read that they will work on acrylic model paints.

Retarder

Chris

• 1 month later...

I've had good success with Vallejo's Airbrush Flow Improver, even with brush painting, it seems to thin a little and retard the drying time. 1 drop to 10 drops of paint is the standard ratio, for $3 or so, it's worth a try.

On 11/5/2021 at 10:49 AM, dogsbody said:

Just a bit of paint in a small container with a drop or two of the retarder added, then stirred a bit.

Go to the closest place that may have art supplies and get something like one of these. Though I haven't used any yet, I have read that they will work on acrylic model paints.

Retarder

Chris

Thanks for the update. I also use Gunze Mr Color paint, and they don't have a straight retarder. They do have Mr Color Leveling Thinner. That thinner is blended with a retarder, so I may have to experiment with the proper amount to use. I could also see if Hobby Lobby carries any of those other 3 brands you show. We don't have any "local" hobby shops, so I get what supplies I can from them or order my stuff online.

Larry

EDIT: I just did a search, and found that Gunze makes a Mr Retarder Mild. I just ordered some from Sprue Brothers. 

Edited by ReccePhreak
More info
On 12/17/2021 at 6:47 AM, ReccePhreak said:

We don't have any "local" hobby shops, so I get what supplies I can from them or order my stuff online.

Larry

We don't have any hobby shops either. It's 300 mile/5 hour drive south to the first one. 

Such is life, up here on The Backside Of Beyond.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 6:18 PM, southwestforests said:

That right there is the core of the problem since a lot of model paints seem to be produced and formulated with airbrushing as THE intended use.

And I think in the 1990s and early 2000s a couple paint manufacturers announced formulation changes to make their paints more directly suitable for airbrushing because airbrushing was either the 'right' way to paint models or was the current trendy fad, I forget which.

In other news:

It has seemed that paints marketed for miniatures gamers are far more hairy stick brush friendly.

This hasn't been a hobby for kids since at least the 1990s, and I think you illustrate why: most manufacturers, particularly newcomers in the last several decades, seek adult incomes with expensive or elaborate product lines.  

So to find good brush paints, it probably pays to ignore lines sold specifically for military models, and instead look at miniature or even craft paints.  Vallejo Model Color and associated products may be an exception here; I get great results brushpainting (as well as airbrushing) them, and I suspect it's because they are an art supply company first.  They didn't start their business to sell accessories primarily for plastic models.