Is there any secret to reviving old Flory Weathering Wash?

Hi there,

I love using Flory Weathering Wash to panel line my aircraft models.  However after they have been sitting around for a while, they tend to thicken up.  I've tried adding water (as I'm told they are clay based) and even some dish detergent to break the surface tension but it just never like getting a new bottle.  Is there some secret to thinning that stuff out to get the original consistency again?  Whenever I add water with a touch of soap, the pigments/clay just clumps up and doesn't flow like it used to. 

Thanks.

I tried water it just makes it clumpy, very small clumps, but I can see the individual pigment.  I've shook it and shook it and still couldn't get it to mix, but I haven't tried BB balls in the containers though.  My new bottles and old are like night and day.

5 hours ago, wm_cheng said:

I tried water it just makes it clumpy, very small clumps, but I can see the individual pigment.  I've shook it and shook it and still couldn't get it to mix, but I haven't tried BB balls in the containers though.  My new bottles and old are like night and day.

Try using a stir stick, that's what I do.

Steve

Yes, I've been to their site, that's why I started to add water when it began to thicken up, but it just won't mix as smoothly as the new one.  I'll take a picture to show, it clumps up very small/tiny pigments, instead of being like a smooth watered down paint when it was new.  I got the big box that included 8 bottles a few years ago, and they have all become like that now.  I re-purchased the black and it great new.  I tried everything, but the SS balls (which I don't have any), I stirred and shook till my arms fell off.  I just used room temperature water, not warm though, but it wouldn't stay very warm for long in my basement!

What are you putting it over?   Gloss, flat or on top of your paint?   I have some old bottles also.  It’s not clumping up, it’s sort of beading up and not always wanting to get into the panel lines. I’m laying it down over a coat of Future.  I have used the sludge wash for years without any issues.  I remember when I bought it I had issues and just put it away, but giving it another try.  I’m just picking this back up after about a decade break.  

I am laying it over a gloss coat of Future.  When its new, it pulls in by capillary action, very smooth, but now that its old and I added water to it to try to thin it a bit, it tends to bead up on the glossy Future and I have to work the pigments into the panel lines a bit more, sometimes it beads and creates a empty spot in the panel lines where I have to go over it again afterwards.  It still works, just not as nicely as it once did when the Flory Washes were newly arrived.

Okay, same issue.  I’m keeping watch in this thread for a good resolution.  The Flory wash actually did really well inside the gear bays.  The rest of the model is giving me trouble.  Is your Future a newer bottle?  Mine is about 15 years old.  Not sure thats an issue. Flory bought a bunch of bottles when they stopped making it for a while and is still into that stash as he was stating in a recent video about Future it Kleer as it was called in the UK.