F-15 Eagle experts - which is correct, AIM-9X inboard or outboard with AIM-120C?

Hi there,

I'm building the G.W.H. 1/72 F-15C 44th Fighter Squad. (box supplied decals - I would not recommend them, if I knew they were printed in the wrong shades of grey I would have gone 3rd party/aftermarket - plus they are way too thick).

I don't know where to mount the AIM-9X and AIM-120C missiles on top of the tank.  The instructions call for the AIM-9X to be inboard and the longer AIM-120C to be outboard (but there are so many mistakes in the instructions already and I've already been burned following GWH instructions on my F-14A build - so I tend not to trust them anymore.   I see photos online where some are inboard and some are swapped outboard with the AIM-120C inboard.  Is this an time era thing or does it really not matter which way they are mounted?

Thanks experts!

3 hours ago, wm_cheng said:

Hi there,

I'm building the G.W.H. 1/72 F-15C 44th Fighter Squad. (box supplied decals - I would not recommend them, if I knew they were printed in the wrong shades of grey I would have gone 3rd party/aftermarket - plus they are way too thick).

I don't know where to mount the AIM-9X and AIM-120C missiles on top of the tank.  The instructions call for the AIM-9X to be inboard and the longer AIM-120C to be outboard (but there are so many mistakes in the instructions already and I've already been burned following GWH instructions on my F-14A build - so I tend not to trust them anymore.   I see photos online where some are inboard and some are swapped outboard with the AIM-120C inboard.  Is this an time era thing or does it really not matter which way they are mounted?

Thanks experts!

I don't think there's a hard fast rule for this as I've seen photos of both configurations. That being said, there's a lot more photo evidence out there showing the AIM-9X on the outboard launcher while the inboard has the AIM-120C.

A couple links for your F-15C viewing.

https://i.insider.com/57b4cd19db5ce949188b74ba?width=1136&format=jpeg

https://sofrep.com/fightersweep/boeing-f-15c-eagle/

Cheers,

John

Great!  Thanks, I tend to like the longer missile inside and the shorter one outside asthetically... I just didn't want to break any rules for my era stationed in Japan.  Also these are marked as live munitions on my decals and most of the references I see are either dummies or blue striped training missiles.

On the fighters, the AIM-9 usually goes on the outside missile rail to allow for maximum view of the uncaged sensor. On the F-15E, the AIM-120 *tends* to go on the outside, as there is less space on the inside, and there has been times that the AIM-120's fins have pierced the CFT's during loading. Still, optimal position is Sidewinder to the outside though, as it allows for the sensor to have the most unobstructed view of the target. 

Aaron 

Thank you for all your helpful comments and links to photos.

Well, I found a bunch of photos showing the AIM-120C inboard as well and I prefer the longer missiles inside of the shorter ones - I just think it goes with the angle of the wings aesthetically.  I'm glad it seems to work both ways and I didn't make any obvious mistakes by gluing them this way.  I think I can call this puppy done. 

Quick notes, tonnes of mistakes in G.W.H. instructions but nothing really beats that amazing surface detailing in 1/72 scale, horrible thick decals and wrong grey color print (use 3rd party aftermarket), can't really recommend AK paints, doesn't seem to stick well (some lifted with Tamiya masking tape or chipped when trying to remove masked canopy - Mr. Hobby or Tamiya Acrylics never did that) and a tad on the dark side when compared to my FS fan deck (should lighten for scale as well).  Eduard PE details are highly recommended, Quickboost seat lacked the ejection rails which needs to be scratch built and is slightly undersized.  Considering all the stuff that went wrong, I'm really glad I actually finished this.

IMG_2932.thumb.JPG.88dadbd7ca1a6b4af6b1daf9785bb2df.JPGIMG_2944.thumb.JPG.be708d7232ddcafaf8d442646152620a.JPGIMG_2942.thumb.JPG.1bc922d5809beb8200b48b36551d7040.JPG

Sorry didn't realize how dusty the canopy was when I was taking a picture of the close up - at 1/72 scale, it really magnifies the dust (it looked fine to my old eyes)!  I'll take some better pictures in proper lighting, this is just on my workbench for now.  Thanks for all your help.

IMG_2936.thumb.JPG.bffc708c88dd1604b42c320ee983ccd0.JPGIMG_2946.thumb.JPG.b28a7d4fd9a9bf1beb792aec33619392.JPGIMG_2938.thumb.JPG.c4f5f7cfc56335f339f3d9d7ecb210c4.JPG

Highly recommend the KA 3D printed exhaust nozzles - they are spectacular in such a small scale!!!

IMG_2940.thumb.JPG.5ac7b2d3b01e01bd45fa9e1f2b7cf20f.JPG