Hasegawa 1:48 F-15C Eagle, 71st TFS, Desert Storm

Those that have been part of ARC for years will know I've been building 1991 Gulf War subjects for a long time.  My Indefinite Desert Storm Group Build is still going, though the end is somewhat in sight.  I still want to build an A-6E, F-16C Block 40, F-16C Block 30, and am currently redoing a RAF Tornado.  I've already started my next build topic, The Battle of Midway which I'm finding more interesting at this point than Desert Storm.

But anyway, here's my take on another Hasegawa F-15C with a few mods done.  I don't really post in-progress pics anymore but more pics to come later.  The squadron specific decals are from Bullseye.  Pardon the iPhone pic quality.

izjkVmk.jpg

LvTLiKY.jpg

7ocGYt8.jpg

Edited by Benner

Looks awesome. I love all your DS builds. What colors and brand did you sue for the two ghost grays? Also, for everyone else's view, I think this is the link with all your DS builds (please correct me if I am wrong):

https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/other/builds/builds_index.html

I love all the stories that go along with the builds.

Edited by Janissary

Thanks.

The two ghost grays are Gunze Sangyo paints straight from the bottle.

Yes, those are indeed most of of my builds on Jakub's website.  Though I haven't bothered with my duplicate builds such that I didn't show all my A-7Es or A-10s.  Some of those are not my builds on his site. 

Being such a long project, products have come out after some of these model builds have been done.  Both resin stuff and decals that would have been made things easier.  Some of my builds are going through an update in that respect.  A simple one was replacing a scratch built pod on one of my F-14s.  The Qatari Mirage F1 will take more effort.

• 1 month later...

Nice and clean Benner like all the other model of your collection.

I've the decals for a Bitburg bird, I'll add one to my ODS collection!

Honestly, at first I hoped/think of some kind of GB for the 30th Anniversaey of Desert Storm, but nothing (in reality I worked in a sim Forum for the release of a 30th Anniversary ODS edition of SF2)

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77
On 11/13/2021 at 2:05 AM, Benner said:

Those that have been part of ARC for years will know I've been building 1991 Gulf War subjects for a long time.  My Indefinite Desert Storm Group Build is still going, though the end is somewhat in sight.  I still want to build an A-6E, F-16C Block 40, F-16C Block 30, and am currently redoing a RAF Tornado.  I've already started my next build topic, The Battle of Midway which I'm finding more interesting at this point than Desert Storm.

But anyway, here's my take on another Hasegawa F-15C with a few mods done.  I don't really post in-progress pics anymore but more pics to come later.  The squadron specific decals are from Bullseye.  Pardon the iPhone pic quality.

izjkVmk.jpg

LvTLiKY.jpg

7ocGYt8.jpg

I'm new here, so allow myself to ask how long it took you to create such a cool construction?

On 1/10/2022 at 2:56 AM, kurnass77 said:

Nice and clean Benner like all the other model of your collection.

I've the decals for a Bitburg bird, I'll add one to my ODS collection!

Honestly, at first I hoped/think of some kind of GB for the 30th Anniversaey of Desert Storm, but nothing (in reality I worked in a sim Forum for the release of a 30th Anniversary ODS edition of SF2)

Gianni

Thanks Gianni

I was trying to decide whether to make this build a Bitburg or Langley bird; I chose Langley as it was cheaper requiring less aftermarket.   I started this build as part of Desert Storm group build on Britmodeler, but I wasn't able to finish in time.  Family life with a newborn occupies much of my time.

Thanks for the sim link, I don't play .. but it's cool to watch, especially if it's DS planes 🙂

On 1/10/2022 at 3:31 AM, charly11 said:

I'm new here, so allow myself to ask how long it took you to create such a cool construction?

Do you mean the model specifically or my Desert Storm collection?   If you mean the model, it was several months as I worked on it off and on.  Sometimes, I would only manage a few minutes a week.  If you mean the Desert Storm collection, going by the oldest date on a picture file, 2007.  I used to finish 4 - 5 builds per year.

23 hours ago, bikerider said:

Looks great.... I love Eagles.

I notice you dropped the intakes. I have my own F-15 models I'd like to do that on so wondering if you can give some insight regarding how you did yours? 

Thanks!

First, I'm the type of modeler that aims for "good enough", not perfect so my intakes my not be the most accurate.  I believe there is an aftermarket set of intakes available, but I went the cheap way and cut up the kit parts.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any in-progress pics to show.  To fill the spaces, I used various sheet styrene.  The top styrene piece is the thinnest, which is partially on top of a thicker piece that doesn't extend all the way to the front.  This allowed me to bend the thin piece where I wanted to.   Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Benner
52 minutes ago, Benner said:

First, I'm the type of modeler that aims for "good enough", not perfect so my intakes my not be the most accurate.  I believe there is an aftermarket set of intakes available, but I went the cheap way and cut up the kit parts.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any in-progress pics to show.  To fill the spaces, I used various sheet styrene.  The top styrene piece is the thinnest, which is partially on top of a thicker piece that doesn't extend all the way to the front.  This allowed me to bend the thin piece where I wanted to.   Hope that makes sense.

Makes sense, ya. I'll give it a go. I've looked for aftermarket intakes that are dropped without much luck. I work on a pretty tight budget anyway, so tend not to use too much AM stuff.  
Thanks for the tip

3 hours ago, bikerider said:

Makes sense, ya. I'll give it a go. I've looked for aftermarket intakes that are dropped without much luck. I work on a pretty tight budget anyway, so tend not to use too much AM stuff.  
Thanks for the tip

I've the pretended old Academy F-15E in 1/72 and have the dropped intakes option