Trying to Sort Out the AA-6 ACRID Missile in 1/48 Scale

Guys,

I am trying to figure out which version is which to add to my Mig-25 PD. I have 2 R-40 versions from ResKit, and I have what appears to be 3 versions in the ICM kit. Which ones are in the ICM kit? The kit instructions do not say. Here's a pic of the kit AA-6 missiles. Any help would be appreciated.

sprue7.jpg

Edited by Brad-M
typo

Hi!

MiG-25PD was armed with 4 R-40 missiles. R-40RD - a modification of the R-40R, created after the hijacking of a MiG-25P aircraft to Japan in 1976 by the pilot of the USSR Air Force V. Belenko. For the compatibility of the new avionics MiG-25PD, missile was equipped with the RGS-25 seeker, created on the basis of the RGS-24 rocket R-24 (for MiG-23M). The missile is capable of selecting targets against the background of the underlying surface. R-40TD is a modification of the R-40T, created simultaneously with the R-40RD, with an improved 35T1 homing head.

AA-6-Acrid.png

Edited by Sergei Galicky, Russia

Hi Sergei,

I know all that, just wondering which is which. Would the upper missile in your pic above be the TD, while the missile below be the RD, or the other way around?

Edited by Brad-M
typo

The drawing above is supposed to depict the original R-40 versions. The top one is the radar guided R-40R (R standing for Radar), one below it is the R-40T (T standing for Heat seeker).

Yeah, I know my comment yesterday was not really specific but it is unfortunate that many details in the ICM kit are . . .     I would 100% go for some aftermarket missiles if building this!!!! 

On the sprues you are showing, in the middle on the left are the heat seeker versions, on top is the original R-40T, below it are the 4 parts for the "Dorabotanij" / modified R-40TD. Same on the right side with the top 4 parts (supposed to be) for the R-40R and below the late R-40RD.

Hope this is of some help.

Fortunately today Google is full of good images of these missiles, so when building or detailing (or comparing to kit parts) they are an excellent help. If by chance anyone is traveling to Russia there are sevelar original R-40 missiles on display to take a closer look. 

Best regards

Gabor 

Hi Piker38,

Sorry, but I dont have them on hand, so could not really make an assesment which is better. One has to search for photos of the aftermarket missiles (unfortunately some manufacturers only show CAD images and not the real resin), compare them to photos of originals and of course make a decission based on his budget.

Aftermarkets are VERY different, some are made based on some very basic, outdated information, wrong size and details, while other manufacturers take time and do a proper research! And of course the price. 

Unfortunately some dont take into account shrinking and so for example you will find even from Eduard missiles which are completely wrong size!!!

Best regards

Gabor 

On 11/13/2021 at 5:27 PM, ya-gabor said:

The real problem is that the ICM missiles have very little to do with the real ones!!!! 

Ha! And what about bombs?

Now that we're trying to make out parts in the ICM arsenal, I thought about asking you here instead of starting a new thread regarding this very same subject. Hope Brad won't mind, but just on the sake of bandwidth.

What are the bombs in the ICM MiG-25 RB kit? A Recce bird with bombs? :hmmm:(Perhaps I'm too noob, but...)

If I wanted to graft one of Stenka's beautiful resin noses onto my kit, which one would it be, the RBT or RBF?

Thanks a lot in advance, and sorry for the hijacking of your thread, Brad.

Cheers,

Gwen

Hi Gwen,

Just a quick question. Do you have any views of those bombs in the kit? Have to admit that I only have the interceptor version in my stash and it has no bombs of course.

The reason I am asking is that had a quick search for the recon/bomber version kits to see any sprue images and could find that only 72nd scale BM version had two sprues with the bombs and multiple racks. So I am a bit confused if any of the 48ths, be it BM or RB (or RBF or RBT) had the bombs included.

As far as I know there was just one bomb version made specially for the Foxbat with special heat resistance to compensate for the high speed heating up. There are photos of these bombs on the net. The ones in the 72nd scale look similar and most people will simply say “they look like it” and will not care about details.

The choice of RBT or RBF nose depends on what kind of paint scheme one fancies! I would most probably do one of those camo versions. Fortunately the few aircraft which were painted like this have been fairly well documented!  

As to the ICM kit, somewhere in the past I did write about it. It is OK, or OKish. Once again most people will say “It looks like a Foxbat”, what more do you want?!

Well . . . 

I would have liked to have an accurate external fuel tank and not just a caricature. The long spine duct should be proper semi-circular and not squashed. At the end the brake chute cover . . .  All the lump and bumps on vertical surfaces are different from type to type. The nose gear bay, leg and doors are different from type to type. Cockpit is OKish but the seat. . .  The early versions still had the early KM seats which were later changed to the upgraded version. The differences are visible even in a 48th kit. Behind the cockpit the radio bay cover is different for every version. And the list goes on and on . . .   ICM gives only one version of everything for all kits.

The Foxbat was mostly welded together and those weld lines are very visible. So one is in for a fairly long job of replacing the engraved lines with welds. I will not go into the engine exhausts, no point. Fortunately there are some very nice aftermarket replacement.

This was the point where I put away in the stash both the 48 and 72 scale kits for a future rainy day. I know they are the best kits around today, but life is short and there are so many other things to do and build.

Best regards

Gabor

17 hours ago, Brad-M said:

Fire away Gwen! 🙂

Thank you very much, Brad!

6 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Just a quick question. Do you have any views of those bombs in the kit?  

Hi Gabor!

Thanks a lot for your help. I can provide a screenshot of the assembly manual.

r93KMpm.jpg

They're huge shells; look like OFAB 500 shells, possibly?

I fancy building this kit as the all-gray birds; don't like the camo ones. I take it that the shape of the sensor right below the radome is the wrong shape? It ought to be a lot more pronounced.

I bought the XMM suckers for this kit the second I spotted the ridicule ones ICM had come up with (those are even worse than the non-existent ones in the Kitty Hawk interceptor kit!

Cheers,

Gwen

On 11/14/2021 at 2:13 PM, Piker38 said:

Any recommendations for accurate resin replacements ?

If you are only looking aftermarket products, then I can recommend these products

http://www.amigomodels.ru/product/amc48206-2/

http://www.amigomodels.ru/product/amc48206/

https://www.super-hobby.ru/products/R-40TD-Long-range-Air-to-Air-missile-set.html

https://www.plusmodel.cz/en/Ruska-raketa-R-40TD-AA-6-Acrid

https://www.super-hobby.ru/products/Russian-missile-R-40R-AA-6-Acrid.html

Edited by Sergei Galicky, Russia
On 11/15/2021 at 10:05 AM, Sergei Galicky, Russia said:

Thanks Sergei. Have you ordered from Amigo Models or Super-Hobby before?