Hello All

I am wondering whether anyone can guide me on how to create soft edges between different color paints? Similar to an airbrush? I have few models I would like to try this effect on. For example the Euro 1 scheme on an A-10. Thanks

Ash

You can try with spray cans using rigid masks made of something like a manilla folder, slightly raised from the surface of the model. I remember reading about this in FSM back in the early 2000s.  Since the mask is raised ever so slightly from the surface of the model, if you are careful you can get that soft edge you are looking for. 

The other way I have seen is to use artist oils, and then you can blend the demarcation line since the paint takes so long to dry. There is a video on youtube where someone demonstrated this technique. I have not tried it, but it did look intriguing.

I really have no idea how you would achieve that look with normal hobby paints. In similar discussions in years past, it was discussed that there are a few master brush painters that can do it, but it is not easy. 

16 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

You can try with spray cans using rigid masks made of something like a manilla folder, slightly raised from the surface of the model. I remember reading about this in FSM back in the early 2000s.  Since the mask is raised ever so slightly from the surface of the model, if you are careful you can get that soft edge you are looking for. 

The other way I have seen is to use artist oils, and then you can blend the demarcation line since the paint takes so long to dry. There is a video on youtube where someone demonstrated this technique. I have not tried it, but it did look intriguing.

I really have no idea how you would achieve that look with normal hobby paints. In similar discussions in years past, it was discussed that there are a few master brush painters that can do it, but it is not easy. 

Thank you Kurt, I try those in the future. 

Ash