I have been inactive in plastic modeling for about 5 years due to personal issues and I just recently stumbled onto the ARC forum site that I used to frequent on a daily basis.  Group builds used to be a very popular subject with lots of participants, but I noticed that there has been almost no activity in that area for a year or more.  I am curious as to the reasons for that.

They seemed to slowly draw less and less interest.  There was also sentiment that the Group build calendar  was an impediment. Once a group build got enough votes, it could be several months before a slot opened for the build, at which point enthusiasm for the build had waned.  There was even an occasion where the person who set up the build disappeared before the build started. 

It also became harder to get enough votes, and to attract participants. It was fun while it lasted.  

Hyperscale has had an Airfix Group Build going on since 2007 and it's still active. I've never understood why the group builds here have to be subject to time constraints. There have been subjects here in the past that have proven popular enough to keep them open ended. What's the stumbling block?

I am open to what ever rules the guy RUNNING the GB wants to impose. Just need to step up and run them. An entire year long GB for example, seems perfectly reasonable to me. But if your going to host a GB, show up and run it. Also, if your going to participate......I dont know....maybe actually BUILD something.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh I remember the F/A-18 Group build in 2014(?) that was quite full of built kits. Probably twice as many builds completed than the recent F-14 Group build.

But isn't there just less build threads alltogether?

I think people are opting more for the social media based Group Builds, seems to be easier to post pics and such for the tech challenged, and it's usually a page already in their favorite go-to social media platform.

• 3 weeks later...

The other day I had to look for my A400M build thread and It made me think of how I participated in GBs here. It looks like I did at least one or two a year between 2013 and 2019.  I realized it has been over a year without a GB for me. I looked through the GB section of the Forum, and it looks like we last did a F-16 GB in 2008.  I looked through the GB and I do not recognize any of the participants. I wonder if we can do it.. and what the minimum number of builders could be .. can we have a go with like 5 builders?  

The F-16 is represented in just about every scale, Decals and aftermarket are plentiful, and it is operated by services around the world. It is even used as an Aggressor / Adversary so there is plenty of variety.  

27 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

The other day I had to look for my A400M build thread and It made me think of how I participated in GBs here. It looks like I did at least one or two a year between 2013 and 2019.  I realized it has been over a year without a GB for me. I looked through the GB section of the Forum, and it looks like we last did a F-16 GB in 2008.  I looked through the GB and I do not recognize any of the participants. I wonder if we can do it.. and what the minimum number of builders could be .. can we have a go with like 5 builders?  

The F-16 is represented in just about every scale, Decals and aftermarket are plentiful, and it is operated by services around the world. It is even used as an Aggressor / Adversary so there is plenty of variety.  

I think it would draw a lot of interest, maybe poll for interest level and if numbers look good, fastrack the start date, don't let folks lose interest.

On 12/17/2021 at 6:16 AM, bashace said:

I think people are opting more for the social media based Group Builds, seems to be easier to post pics and such for the tech challenged, and it's usually a page already in their favorite go-to social media platform.

I think you're right, but for someone like me who has been off Facebook for about a year, I come back to ARC to post an in-progress or three, free of the 'noise' present on social media. I wondered what would happen to ARC's site, given how much has indeed migrated to Facebook.

ALF