Pegasus 1/72 Martin-Baker MB5

Always wanted to have an MB5 model.  Ran into this one today at a suitable price.  Seems to be molded of grey resin, not that it matters much.  But so very basic.  So basic that I'm wondering what the common technique is for installing the landing gear legs.  No holes in the wings, no pins in the landing gear.  Bore both for wire?   I think CA will be my friend. 

The rest I think I can puzzle out.

Thanks!  

On 11/24/2021 at 9:26 PM, peter havriluk said:

Always wanted to have an MB5 model.  Ran into this one today at a suitable price.  Seems to be molded of grey resin, not that it matters much.  But so very basic.  So basic that I'm wondering what the common technique is for installing the landing gear legs.  No holes in the wings, no pins in the landing gear.  Bore both for wire?   I think CA will be my friend. 

The rest I think I can puzzle out.

Thanks!  

You aroused my curiosity, so I went and dug out my copy of the Pegasus MB.5. The landing gear struts are awfully thin and need a lot of cleanup. Personally, I think drilling them for a metal pin would be beyond my capability! If it was me, I'd consider either trying to find replacements from the spares box, or inserting a small block of plastic into the end of the wheel well and drilling that instead of drilling the wing itself. As thin as the struts are, attaching the landing gear doors should stiffen them up considerably, especially if you can attach the upper end of the door to the wing as well as the strut. Save the metal pins for the butt-joined wings and stabilizers! 😉

BTW, if you want better wheels than what the kit offers, Sea Fury or Tempest ones look very similar to the MB.5's wheels.

John

John,

Thanks for the advice and observations.  I'll certainly keep them in mind.  I was thinking similarly, using the landing gear doors for support.  As for wheels, I'll dig through the spares department.  Gotta have something with more detail than Pegasus' wheels. 

I am pleased to have any kind of MB-5, and as it's going to be a shelf model, so long as it looks like a picture of the prototype I'm happy.

I do have a question about coloration:  This airplane ever have a yellow underside (to go along with the 'P') ? 

Much obliged. 

Supposedly yes it was painted with yellow undersides, and may then have been painted medium sea grey undersides. It's probably your choice, I doubt the colour police will come knocking.

Apparently it was painted in an overall medium grey before first flight, (primer colour?) then got it's camo colours. Incidentally I have read that the u/c bays & inside of the doors were painted in a colour similar to ZCY, one of the first uses on a UK aircraft. Some just go for grey green but who is to say what is correct.

A fine aggressive looking aircraft, reportedly the best piston engine fighter ever to fly, pity it never went into service. In the course of this I have found that someone in the US was building a taxiable replica, pictures I found showed it substantially complete, whatever happened to it?

------------ 

On 11/30/2021 at 11:32 PM, barkin mad said:

In the course of this I have found that someone in the US was building a taxiable replica, pictures I found showed it substantially complete, whatever happened to it?

John Marlin was building a flyable MB5 lookalike based around a Mustang wing at Reno, it has the appearance of a somewhat compressed MB5. It has taxied on a few occasions but I've not heard anything of it other than being listed for sale in late 2019.

Not my photo:

Reno Air Races 2015

Edited by K5054NZ

Thank you. You are right about it looking compressed. Sorry but it just looks wrong, the real thing was bigger than a Mustang. Though I get it will have been easier and cheaper to base it on something existing rather than starting from scratch.

-------------