Looking for books about Modern US Carriers

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a book about modern USN Carrier ops. I'm looking not so much about the politics of when and how they are deployed, or what they do in a larger theater of operations, but rather the day to day workings. I have some familiarity already, but I'd love to know more about all the positions on the flight deck, how it's organized, maybe some of the procedures for getting an aircraft ready for departure, etc. Does such a book exist? I'm interested more in the modern side of things, so I suppose that would be Nimitz class and newer.

Thanks!

Thanks Andy!

I came across two of those before, but not the squadron one. I ordered myself a copy. One thing they all seem to have in common is being 100 pages or less. I hope they will be as detailed as I`m hoping. Either way, thanks for the help! 

Tom Clancy authored a book on modern aircraft carriers a while back. I haven’t read it but, if the attention to detail is anywhere near that in his novels, it might be worth a shot. 

https://www.amazon.com/Carrier-Aircraft-Clancys-Military-Reference/dp/0425166821/ref=asc_df_0425166821_nodl/

Edited by habu2
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Well…not exactly Modern, but I just finished reading Iron Claw by Sherman Baldwin. His experiences as a rookie Prowler Pilot just before and including Desert Storm on the USS Midway. Some good insight into the day to day stuff and flying. I learned quite a bit. You can pick it up used cheap on Amazon. We’ve got a vacation planned to San Diego next year, I’m going to bring it so I can retrace some of the authors steps while touring the Midway. 

• 4 weeks later...

There are also books like Weapons of Choice, Carrier: A Guided Tour of an Aircraft Carrier, and of course Aircraft Carriers: A History of Carriers. I once wrote a paper on shipboard service and how it can cause depression in crew members. I have published my essay in many places, it was even put on https://eduzaurus.com/free-essay-samples/depression/ as a free example. That's what I collected these books for as sources of crew life on a real military aircraft carrier. 

Edited by Ounkee