CD48221 - 1/48 T-34C Turbo Mentor

Please include one of the T-34's for Corpus Christi.  It is so common to find decals for Pensacola, and the kits just ignore the fact that half of the Navy primary flight training is at NAS Corpus Christi.  Also, NAS Corpus was the last operator of the T-34C as Whiting shifted to the Texan first.

Markings are basically the same, except for a G tailcode and TAW-4 on the ventral fins.  Also, for both TAW-5 and TAW-4, the T-34C's came from a common pool for the wing rather than being assigned to either of the two squadrons at each base.  So none of them had any individual squadron markings.  There were aircraft that had the wing CO, squadron COs, and reserve component COs names on them but they were otherwise without names.  A few had "Marines" in place of "Navy" on the fuselage, but that was again just part of the pool.  They were just painted that way since the squadrons also trained all of the Marine pilots as well as the Navy pilots.

I know the kit is hard to find - I just think there are many of these waiting to be built in your stashes, and I am sure eventually we will get a good kit of the type. Maybe Minicraft or Freedom will finally release the kits they have promised in the past.

I used the Czech Model decals on my Sky Models 1/48 T-34C (which I guess is even harder to find than the CM one). The CM decals have all kinds of problems for the option I used: national insignia the wrong shape, sharkmouth design incorrect, completely wrong eyes, wrong RESCUE arrow, missing stencils, wrong font for the serial number, etc. I would have *loved* to be able to use some Caracal decals on this!

Jon

T34C_07.JPG

27 minutes ago, sierrascale said:

Hmmm, not a single one on eBay, although weirdly, searching for "1/48 t-34c turbomentor" turned up seven listings for push-up bras.

🤣

That's great news about the new sheet. 

Edited by ST0RM
2 hours ago, sierrascale said:

Hmmm, not a single one on eBay, although weirdly, searching for "1/48 t-34c turbomentor" turned up seven listings for push-up bras.

That is pretty funny, I think it has to do with 34 C being a common size for these; so they get included in the item listings. 

As I mentioned, I hope someone will do a T-34C in the near future - let's try to keep abreast of new kit announcements.

19 minutes ago, Dan 88 said:

Nice! I did my time in the mighty T-34C. Heres the infamous solo pic, could get you the BuNo in a few.  Would you be able to make that work?

Sure, why not. I believe it may be 161804:

Beechcraft T-34C Mentor - 161804/746 - TAW-4 - US Navy

There were three T-34's which were part of the CONA celebrations, and it would be really neat to see them included, since the majority of the other CONA schemes are available in decal form.

All three were pre-WWII aircraft designs, Corpus Christi's 161841 was marked as a Navy aircraft, and the two from Whiting were 164169 in the colors of a Coast Guard aircraft, 164172 in the colors of a Marine Corps aircraft.

10159_1316233819.jpg

0341806.jpg

29399_1518240584.jpg

Additionally, 164172 was one of the aircraft moved to Corpus Christi when Whiting shut down T-34 ops, and she remained in her CONA colors with a few modifications all the way up to her final retirement.

Beech T-34C TurboMentor