Roden Releases #349 1/144 RC-135V RIVET JOINT in 2022 & #360 KC-135R in 2023!

Yep!  You heard it hear folks!  

Roden Announces 1/144 RC-135U in 2022.  Kit #349.  Yee haw! 

*** Editor's note:

So, with new revelations from the Roden website, kit #349 is obviously a RC-135V RIVET JOINT with CFM-56 engines.  I have changed the name of the thread to reflect, but maintained all of the original content. 

K/r,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
Changed the thread title.
6 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Yep!  You heard it hear folks!  

Roden Announces 1/144 RC-135U in 2022.  Kit #349.  Yee haw!  Wonder what will follow?

K/r,

Dutch

Scalemates says it is a rebox.   Who's molds were the original?   I don't recall Roden ever doing a 135 of any kind.  They did do the 707-120 in 1/144 so I wonder if that is the basis for this kit?   Should be interesting.

5 minutes ago, Drifterdon said:

Scalemates says it is a rebox.   Who's molds were the original?   I don't recall Roden ever doing a 135 of any kind.  They did do the 707-120 in 1/144 so I wonder if that is the basis for this kit?   Should be interesting.

Don,

Roden released a 1/144 720, not 707-120. The wings will be dramatically different.  Wonder if the parts will just be "add on" or "molded" integral with the fuselage and wings?

K/r, Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Don,

Roden released a 1/144 720, not 707-120. The wings will be dramatically different.  Wonder if the parts will just be "add on" or "molded" integral with the fuselage and wings?

K/r, Dutch

You are correct Dutchmaster.   I had my early 707 types switched in my head.   At least the windshield area of the Roden 720 kit looked better than the Minicraft kit for what that is worth. 

1 hour ago, bluedot25 said:

I wonder if they meant Minicraft? Minicraft teased about one of these awhile back if I remember right.  Or maybe Roden is using the Minicraft kit as a base....

If Roden uses the Minicraft as a base the windshield area will be all jacked up unless they retool the clear part.  If I recall, Minicraft was also going to release the Rivet Joint in 1/144 as well.

Yes... a Rivet Joint was (is) in the Minicraft line up... . and if Roden uses the Minicraft kit... I expect the windshield area may  still be incorrect as well... 😕

We’ll see....

Edited by bluedot25
On 11/29/2021 at 4:22 PM, bluedot25 said:

Yes... a Rivet Joint was (is) in the Minicraft line up... . and if Roden uses the Minicraft kit... I expect the windshield area may  still be incorrect as well... 😕

We’ll see....

Tom, 

Highly unlikely for Roden to use the Minicraft molds.  More likely they will use / modify their 720 molds or make new fuselage, antennae & engine molds and use the 720 wings & possibly stabs.

K/r,

Dutch

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't put much stock in what Scalemates says when it is a kit that hasn't been issued yet. They can have errors. Plus they even listed one resin kit of a SF subject that was little more than just a scam as the kit is complete vaporware. Wait for the kit itself to come out and we will have our answer.

JMC

Hmmm!  Something fishy going on here!  While the initial announcement by Roden for #349 said RC-135U accompanied by a photo of an RC-135U, the SCM entry has been changed to read RC-135W.  However, the photo remains as a RC-135U.  So we must wait for the plastic to appear.  I will be soooo disappointed if it is not a RC-135U.  

Edited by Dutch
2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Hmmm!  Somehting fishy going on here!  While the initial announce by Roden for #349 said RC-135U accompanied by a photo of an RC-135U, the SCM entry has been changed to read RC-135W.  However, the photo remains as a RC-135U.  So we must wait for the plastic to appear.  I will be soooo disappointed if it is not a RC-135U.  

But think of the other possibilities if it is a RC-135W.   You can make an M, an S, a V, or any of the other hognoses.   With the U-Boat, all you can make is a U-Boat.

36 minutes ago, Drifterdon said:

But think of the other possibilities if it is a RC-135W.   You can make an M, an S, a V, or any of the other hognoses.   With the U-Boat, all you can make is a U-Boat.

Don, True, but we already have Hog Nose mods from Welsh.  I welcome a U-boat!  Otherwise I would have to commission someone to make CAD drawings and 3D print the parts, which sounds difficult at the moment..

Edited by Dutch

Trust me Dutch, the Welsh conversion is not what I would call accurate.   I tried it once and had to grind and cut just to get the resin nose to fit on the Academy KC-135 kit then had to grind, sand, putty and repeat a hundred times to get a decent looking profile that resembled a hognose 135.   That's why I taught myself to resin cast so I would only have to do it the one time.  

• 4 months later...

So, SCM posted a new image of the Roden box art for kit #349, though still labeled as RC-135U, it shows the longer hog nose of the RC-135V/W instead with CFM-56 engines.  The plot thickens!

Roden_349_RC-135U_boxart.JPG.d55998db3ae08c4f439c50d35ab74b7c.JPG

6 hours ago, Dutch said:

So, SCM posted a new image of the Roden box art for kit #349, though still labeled as RC-135U, it shows the longer hog nose of the RC-135V/W instead with CFM-56 engines.  The plot thickens!

Roden_349_RC-135U_boxart.JPG.d55998db3ae08c4f439c50d35ab74b7c.JPG

And it appears that the artist that painted this, Valeriy Grygorenko,  was killed by a peice of shrapnel.   So sad and such a waste.

275584218_5692005844149121_5803541812461

• Dutch changed the title to Roden Announces 1/144 RC-135V RIVET JOINT in 2022!
  • 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, GPZ said:

Roden 1/144 RC-135V/W

http://www.roden.eu/HTML/349.html

Looks like a completely new tooling. The nose radome is molded in situ but the cheek antennae are separate parts so theoretically they could do almost all the RC-135 family

http://www.roden.eu/Gallery/349/Ramka RC135_.jpg

Thank you GPZ. 

Very interesting.  Yes!  Several RC-135 models could be made from the basic fuselage with hog nose, though some trimming of lumps and bumps will be required to backdate the airframes for earlier versions.  The photo looks shortened vertically, as the wings and fuselage appear to be too short.  Noteworthy on sprue F are the two booms, or perhaps boom halves as only one set of ruddevators is available on sprue D.  Three variations of tail HF aerials are molded.  At first I thought that the one with the extended IFR light was for the tail and the other two were for the outer wings, but upon closer inspection, all three appear to be for the tail hinting at further releases of straight tanker / transport / command post versions. It appears that the HF aerial on the right (#1) is the one for the RC-135V/W as it has a small ball radome on the top.  Also interesting is the two clear cockpit pieces.  One is evidently wider (L) than the other (R).  Again, it appears that the wide one (L) is for the Recon version. Perhaps the right one is intended for a straight tanker version?  Engine pylons appear to be very basic, but I will inspect more closely when mine arrive and I can put a caliper to them.  An impressive first sprue view.  And the price is certainly right!  I look forward to other C-135 versions.

K/r,

Dutch

• Dutch changed the title to Roden Releases #349 1/144 RC-135V RIVET JOINT in 2022 & #360 KC-135R in 2023!