Roden Releases #349 1/144 RC-135V RIVET JOINT in 2022 & #360 KC-135R in 2023!

I just laid the fuselage parts over drawings that Jennings Heilig did of the RC-135E Rivet Amber and RC-135S Rivet Ball (scaled to 1/144) and the Roden radome is also slightly too long.   From what I've see on the web, Jennings' drawings are the most accurate I've seen of the RC-135/KC-135/EC-135's.  

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/c135jh_1.htm       

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/c135jh_2.htm

Edited by Drifterdon
31 minutes ago, RCarlson said:

Has anybody tried or think it's possible for the extra windscreen piece to be grafted onto the Minicraft KC-135 kits?

I'm still waiting anxiously for my RC to show up any day now!

I can give it a try next time I go down and dig out one of my unbuilt Minicraft kits.   The Roden windshield looks way better than Minicrafts wonky part.

2 hours ago, RCarlson said:

Has anybody tried or think it's possible for the extra windscreen piece to be grafted onto the Minicraft KC-135 kits?

RC, That's not a bad idea. Go back to my fuselage photos. The cockpit clear part profiles are different, but it might be done with some cutting away of the lower sill. I will check into it on Friday.  

K/r, Dutch 

• 1 month later...

So I noted earlier the pronounced raised flat are for mounting the horizontal stabilizers which is not present on the real aircraft.  Tracy is building a Roden 720 and shares a photos of his progress in the Airliner Thread. In his second photo, you can see that Roden also created a raised are to mount the horiz stabs on the 720 kit.  So maybe this is one way to solve the problem of giving the stabs a flat area to mount on a curved surface?   It is not as pronounced on the 720 kit as it is on the RC-135 kit. Just an observation.

• 5 months later...

I would hope the Roden uses some of the CAD work done with their 720 (stab flairing excellent on the 720 and too pronounced on the Rivet Joint ) on the new fuselage for the KC-135R.   Things might get interesting too if the minicraft tooling is owned by ACE in Korea.    

14 hours ago, Dutch said:

Apperntly decals are provided for one KC-135R 60-0314 of the 42nd BW, Loring AFB, ME in shamu scheme circa 1990.  Loring and Maine outline are red.

I applaud Roden for researching an older R-model subject, with so many photos out there of AMC-gray jets over the last 30 years. 

Looking forward to the kit and any new aftermarket decals it prompts!

Chris

On 2/25/2023 at 4:55 PM, Gator52 said:

And perhaps Roden has A & E models waiting in the wings too...  😉

Chris, Let's get this one on the street first. Hopefully the nose shape is correct.  As they have included the glass with the RC-135V kit, I assume it will be way better than the Minicraft cockpit nose shape.  I don't know, but I think that their RC-135W was a pretty good seller, so hopefully this one will be as well.  We will see if they invest in an A & E variant. K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
  • 2 weeks later...

If the Roden KC-135R kit does come with the bits and bobs (antennas) from the Rivet Joint kit, I'll gladly purchase them from anyone not wishing to keep them.   However, like Dutch points out, let's get this one on the street first.

@Stephen,

Thank you for posting the link to the Britmodeler thread.  It looks like the horizontal stab mounting area is the same as the RC-135V/W, so it will require filing/sanding to resemble something close to accurate. 

@Don,

Good news! The RC bits are also included. 

@Chris,

I zoomed in, but cannot discern the APU openings.  My screen grab is prett fuzzy, so I will download the actual photo from BM when I get home.  

Hmmm. I may have to buy just a couple to go with my Minicraft, Revell + ATP, and Welsh R models.

K/r,

Dutch

On 3/11/2023 at 9:06 AM, Gator52 said:

Looks as though the APU exhaust is integral to the fuselage half, as opposed to a separate part...

Thanks for the update-

Chris

The APU exhaust also seems a little under represented.   But, the decals actually look pretty good.   Nice to see Roden do this one up in the Shamu scheme and from Loring at that.

Edited by Drifterdon

Quick update on my RC-135 builds.

thumbnail_IMG_0012.jpg

Rivet Joint.   Almost ready for paint.

Cobra Ball Build.jpg

Cobra Ball.   Close behind the Joint.

Combat Sent.jpg

Combat Sent.   Needs a little more work.  I think the wingtip sensors are a little too triangular still.   Need to knock them back a little.

Edited by Drifterdon
  • Dutch changed the title to Roden Releases #349 1/144 RC-135V RIVET JOINT in 2022 & #360 KC-135R in 2023!