40 years ago today!

StormBarra 6th/7th Dec 2021.

6th/7th Dec 1981. 40 years ago to the day USS Nimitz found a storm. And travelled back 40 years to the day. 6th/7th Dec 1941. Coincidence?

Screenshot_20211206-185917_Chrome.jpg

Edited by roym

No coincidence at all if you consider there's the father of Michael Douglas AND the father of Charlie Sheen right in the very same scene! Wow...

Could a Sidewinder missile ever home on the heat from a prop-driven aircraft, really? :hmmm:It looks like a 9L?

Isn't the officer chatting on the Intercom the father of Ryan Reynolds?

Coincidences just don't add up...

Cheers,

Gwen 

1 hour ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Could a Sidewinder missile ever home on the heat from a prop-driven aircraft, really?

Toward the last pages of Dad's March 1955 AF Manual 355-10 Aircraft Recognition for the ground observer, page 164, specifically,

"The exhaust stacks of practically all conventional aircraft engines glow cherry red from the tremendouos heat of exhaust gasses. On some aircraft, flames can be seen roaring out of exhaust stacks, occasionally giving the impression that then engine is on fire. This is particularly true when extra power is being used, as in takeoff or climbing.

In darkness this glow or flame is often discernible from the ground"

I dunno about anyone else but my experiences with heat tell me that's a whole bunch of heat and very little else in the general neighborhood and environment around the prop driven, piston powered, aircraft in question is going to be equally warm.

Re heat of a prop engine, watch Tora Tora Tora, during the launch scene (performed and filmed at dawn) the glowing exhausts are visible in the twilight. Always thought it was cool go see. 

21 hours ago, southwestforests said:

I dunno about anyone else but my experiences with heat tell me that's a whole bunch of heat and very little else in the general neighborhood and environment around the prop driven, piston powered, aircraft in question is going to be equally warm.

Interesting, Mr. SW Forests

11 hours ago, roym said:

Re heat of a prop engine, watch Tora Tora Tora, during the launch scene (performed and filmed at dawn) the glowing exhausts are visible in the twilight. Always thought it was cool go see. 

Yep. My husband just suggested I go check his IL-2 flight sim on the computer to see how the exhaust stacks glow in the game... :rolleyes:

Still, I noticed that both "Zeros" attacking the wooden boat in the film have Harvard wings. And that's a hard fact. Or are they both Harvards?

Cheers,

Gwen    

Has it been that long?  : )    Saw this with my dad too and it would start my lifelong love of that F-14 shape.    That scene when Cdr. Owens started calling out the secrets to Simura made my hair stand on end.    

Edited by crackerjazz